What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

hayseed_theology

I was doing some off-roading with some guys off Buford Hwy. Coming down this trail, and we find an Explorer sunk up to the bumpers in the middle of a big mud hole, and it's blocking the trail. I get out to investigate. It is brand spanking new. Dealer tag. Windows are busted out and radio is gone. Clearly, it's hot.

Turn around, cuz we can't go any further. Head off to a new spot, and about a mile down the road, there is a cop pulled off the road. I pull over and tell him the story, tell him where the vehicle is. I even offer to show him. He wants no part of it. Says it probably ain't stolen, probably just some rich kids who bought it as a toy and left it. I'm pretty sure it was stolen, but I understand his hesitation to ride back in the woods with 4 guys he doesn't know.

dc02

Great stuff here.

I haven't been out on a hunt yet, but you couldn't keep me out of the woods when I was a kid. Some of the things I remember are an old dairy box, a leg hold trap, someone's john boat capsized and hung on a log, a '48 Chevy truck, an old busted up water wheel and the metal remains of a mill and you could see how they diverted the water into with a wall of stone in the river. Old metal glider chairs. Some pocket knives. Bunches of old bottles. 40's or 50's car doors and hood.

My dad took me on a hike to a Civil War cemetery he found and we talked to the farmer that lived near it. He said he turned up muskets in the field plowing. I think there's a historical marker there now.

Since y'all are bringing up creepy stuff, when I was 8-11(I can't recall exactly) my sister took me to a basement where they'd demolished the house and there had been satanic rituals and human sacrifices somewhere around Stone Mountain. I'd ask her, but she decided not to talk to the family a while back. The place had a concrete alter and a pattern in the walls like IHIHIHI (like an H and beside it, an H on its side)all over all the walls. They were going to fill it in and I guess she wanted to check it out before they did and took me along.

Hopefully I'll have something interesting from a hunt to post -hopefully no dead people.

*Wild Turkey, did the Mexicans shoot each other? Mexican standoff style?

MCBUCK

Saw a boat story or two...got my own.

I was hunting on Ocmulgee WMA about two years ago. I had hung my stand just off the side of a hardwood ridge and overlooking a swampy area. I saw a couple of BIG does, and a small buck and decided to get down and investigate the area they came through to see if I could get a better vantage point for the evening hunt. Low and behold, every deer I had seen that morning had walked within 10 feet of a perfect fiberglass canoe: life vest, paddles and cooler inside. I radioed my buddy to see if he would help me get it out of the woods, but the night before the temp had gotten to a low of about 15' and the canoe was frozen solid to the ground and was about half full of ice, but the thing was in pristine condition.

xhunterx

found an old whiskey still on pigeon mtn wma yesterday, old barrels had been busted with an axe, really interesting

telco guy

Found a fella sleeping in my woods last fall. wasn't sure if he was dead or alive as he was under a sheet. Called the the sherrif's dept. and they took him away. Turned out it was the same guy that shot the two Newton Co. sherrif's deputies later this summer.

BigBrett

found an old jump suit. very faded but i think it was an old chain gang issue. in the same area we found alot of potted meat cans. i am asking all my relatives to see what i can find out.

Ohoopee Tusker

Not weird but funny. One morning while still hunting through a hardwood bottom I spotted three dogs sleeping in the sun. I got within 20 feet of them when two of them saw me and calmly got up and walked off. The third had his back to me and I managed to walk right up to him and stand over him. I made a little whistle sound and he just rolled over on his back, keeping his eyes closed. So I made a growl sound and he opened his eyes and saw me standing over him. He let out a scream like I have never heard a dog make and ran away at full speed.

My (at the time) girlfriend and I spent a week camping on a remote sandbar. For the first three nights we had slept out in the open next to the fire. On the forth night I woke up feeling for certain that something was watching me. I asked my gf if she was awake and her reply was, something is watching us from the woods. I had a 9mm beside me so I grabbed it and we got into the tent. After being inside the tent for maybe a minute I hear something heavy walking in the sand heading straight for our tent. The windows had velcro holding them up, so I was trying to get one open enough to see out of it. Whatever was walking towards us got within 10 feet of us when the velcro made a slight sound and it turned and calmly walked back into the woods. I have spent 25 years in the woods and have never before or since felt so strange while in the woods. Spent about an hour the next morning looking for tracks but couldn't find anything.

Maybe it was a dog getting revenge for the first story.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
I've posted this in another thread-------- black garbage bag kinda buried full of LADIES PANTIES ------ notified local LEO and they blew me off ( and they knew me as I was a leader in a local V.F.D. even had my own radio ID for the sheriff's dept ) probably some sex freak stealing women's panties from outdoor drying lines but nothing was done--- bag was gone 2-3 days later:mad::mad:

hunting clouds

Found seventy something dollars one time laying matted together and some partially scattered on dawson forest several years ago while scouting

georgiaboy027

I found a little shack and a VW Bug out in the middle of nowhere in Gilmer I couldnt even imagine how the bug even got down there :huh: you could tell it had been there for awhile.

Not really weird but I found a arrowhead made out of quartz in Greene co. first and only one of them I've found.Thought that was pretty cool.

J-son30223

Found seventy something dollars one time laying matted together and some partially scattered on dawson forest several years ago while scouting

I lost seventy something dollars one time while I was hunting dawson forest several years ago. :D

lcopeland22

My best was on my familys land in Toomsboro, Ga. There is an area with a long 6ft deep narrow ditch. But it's not a ditch it's a 200 yd long trench. The story is there was somekind of battle there. My family had the land logged about forty years ago and the logging company quit cutting the big trees in that area because the sawmill was complaining of metal being in that batch and messing up their saws. Those trees are huge around there compared to everything else on the 500 acres. All anyone could figure is that there were still musketballs in those old trees.

Last edited:

Boar Hog

My best was on my familys land in Toomsboro, Ga. There is an area with a long 6ft deep narrow ditch. But it's not a ditch it's a 200 yd long trench. The story is there was somekind of battle there. My family had the land logged about forty years ago and the logging company quit cutting the big trees in that area because the sawmill was complaining of metal being in that batch and messing up their saws. Those trees are huge around there compared to everything else on the 500 acres. All anyone could figure is that there were still musketballs in those old trees.

Miniballs are lead, softer than wood. Probably old deerstand spikes or nails.

Bow Only

I found a nice 8pt with a 100gr Muzzy imbedded in his skull right between his antlers.

A buddy found a deer with 7 arrows in him. Don't you know that was some story.

kinross

i once saw this light beam hit the ground from my stand. i went for a look and found this green dude in a space suit. i gave him my 7mm08 and i got his ray gun, a fair trade i thought. Have lasered more deer than i can count. Sorry i just couldnt resist

tullisfireball

Walking out of the woods one morning and saw a round glass ball on the ground, after I dug it out of the ground that ball was attached to a glass lamp. No scratches or anything on it, just rust on the brass head. I still have it packed up somewhere.

We also hunted a piece of land that bordered a local airport, the first afternoon I was in the stand, I heard about 5 or 6 people talking. I looked all around and never saw anyone. I kept hearing the talking, when I heard what sounded like a tarp blowing in the wind. I looked up and saw about 15 skydivers circling above me. They were a skydiving club from the airport.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Walking out of the woods one morning and saw a round glass ball on the ground, after I dug it out of the ground that ball was attached to a glass lamp. No scratches or anything on it, just rust on the brass head. I still have it packed up somewhere.

You're supposed to rub it and get your three wishes. :bounce:

bowbrown

My buddy and I were wading around in a lake when were 13-14 years old and I stepped on what i thought was a dead body. I was walking on water on the way out and my buddy was laughin at me until he stepped on it and was shortly behind me. We got back to the house and called his aunt that was a local cop and told her the story and she told us that woman had recently drown in the lake. They went out there the next day but couldn't find her. I don't have proof it was a person but it still gives me chills when I think about that feel under my feet!!!:hair: