What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

letsgohuntin

today swampstalker and I were scouting some land. we found an old lock-on stand with an insulated lunch bag sitting on it.... opened it up and it had 3 un-opened Bud Lites in there!

AnchAk1961

It found me...

This one is a little long...

About 7 years ago I was hunting on a friend's family farm located in Georgia's Randolph/Terrell County line. This 2000 acre property has huge fields and many tractor roads. It is not a gated property. It is a working peanut farm. A county paved road cuts through the middle of the property. This paved road is very, very lightly traveled. You see more tractors and farm equipment than cars and trucks on this road.

I was hunting close to a small pond that was circled by huge oaks trees. I was set up in a climbing stand about 200 yards from the county paved road. A dirt (red clay) tractor road turns off of the county road and was visible from my stand and only about 100 yards the my right. We had recently spotted a big buck in this area. I was hoping to again see Ol' Mossy horns in the oaks that evening.

An hour and a half before dark an older white Oldsmobile 4 door sedan turns off the county road onto the dirt road. Now the Olds is on my friend's property. I just watched the car slowly move down the dirt road. The car moves out of sight and I started scanning the woods again. Then the car re-appears and stops at the edge of the oaks. Four black teens get out of the car. I thought, oh great, I get to watch these four guys drink beer, listen to music and do whatever else on the side of the road! It was obvious that my hunt was about to end just about prime hunting time. :banginghe

So here is the surprise! All four of these guys go to the rear of the car and start nervously looking around to see if anyone is watching. Oh no, are they going to dump a body or something? Crap, I don't need this! Then they open the trunk and each pulls out a handgun! Oh crap!! what is up with this?!?! They lock and load and line up shoulder to shoulder.

I am now thinking defensively, I go ahead and get them in my scope! The rifles safety was on, of course. I absolutely hated to do that, as we all know you don't point a gun at anything you do not intend to shoot!!! Made me sick to my stomach but you have to realize that I am now feeling very threatend. If you are sane, you go into a defensive mode.

I am relieved when I realize that they are not hunting me!! My rifle goes down and the binoculars go up. But good grief, they are about to mow down some small trees and old tin cans on the side of the dirt road. They each very quickly unloaded a clip or two and then all 4 quickly jumped back into the Olds with guns in hand and race away back onto the county paved road and they are gone! Wheew! :hair:

Fortunately I was 25 feet in a tree and not directly in their line of fire but I was still in a potential crisis. I was too close and just a few degrees off of their line of fire. As you can imagine it was not a line of fire that was managed by experienced shooters. I did worry about the bullets bouncing around and they did. These guys cut loose over 100 rounds. I later counted the 9mm shell casings left on the ground. It was a minute or two of Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----.

Yes, I briefly thought about squeezing off a round to scare them away. But I did not want them to feel like they needed to shoot directly at me for any reason! Who knows what the sound of the .300 Win Mag would have done to them? Maybe scared the crap out of them? Or maybe put them in a defensive mode? I just could not risk a huge legal issue with 4 black teens in a rural Georgia County. Maybe they were the sheriff's nephews? Who know? I let it go and was only a witness to the event. I could not get the tag number and thankfully I never saw that car again. You can believe me when I say that I kept a sharp eye out for that car until my friend's family sold the property 4 years ago.

So, I "found" the "Boyz in the hood" while hunting in a rural south Georgia county! Just weird! Maybe a bunch of locals teens practicing for their spring break trip to ATL??

It was just a blessing that nothing tragic came out of that experience!

Last edited:

MR.BIGBUCK

Found a girl that had been killed and left there . This was in the early 80's in Douglas county. they caught the boyfriend and i think they gave him the power chair a couple years back. As a sportsman or gal's that is something you never forget and i pray that none of you ever come across anything like it in your life's.

shortround1

Gone But Not Forgotten
I found a Skull.
i wuz going to make a quip trip to our lease and had a neighbor pulled off the side of the road. thought he may have hit a deer, we looked in front of hiz truck and saw little luby geter laying dead on the side of the road. one of the missing and murdered children during the wayne williams era.:huh::hair:i didn't hunt that day.:hair:

olhippie

...I've found a bear skull,the band from a musket or carbine, mini-balls, spent cartridge cases by the score, several spent bullets, lots of bones of course, the ubiquitous underwear (men and women's), a Tec Nine sub-machine gun with a broken firing pin ($12 dollar part fixed it), a grave stone of a REVOLUTIONARY war captain (in Allatoona WMA!), a broken millstone from an 1840's pioneer grist mill in Roger's creek(adjacent Allatoona WMA), and more...

Rays123

back when i was still in high school me and a buddy were taking a short cut to his uncles house and we walked up on his uncle and cousins 500 gallon shine still, needless to say i became a regular customer

biker13

Found 2 12 oz Buds on a stump in Butts County one time.Left 'em the cans.

R

redneckcamo

found where someone left an old wood heater out in the woods and there was nothin left but the cast iron door and a huge pile of rust...... the door is here at the house leanin up aginst a tree ;]

and the other time me and a buddy of mine found some stuff while turkey huntin .....cant really tell that story on woodys tho :hair::hair::hair: we wigged out tho cause we new who's stuff it was cause of who's house was rite thru the woods ...:eek::eek::eek:

MCW1984

a dodge 3500 still smoldering in the middle of a cutover turned out to have been repored stolen.also heard several shots coming from towards my truck one morning and came out to find that the spare shells that i had been to lazy to put back in the truck and left laying on the hood had all been shot and were lined up across the bed rail.needless to say im no longer a member of this club!

zzweims

Not so weird, but funny at the time. My husband was walking back from deer hunting one evening when he sees a car parked way back in the woods with two teenagers in the back seat go at it hot and heavy. He recognized the car as belonging to a friend of his, and the girl in the back was his daughter! He scared the snot out of those kids when he wrapped on the window and said, "Boy, get out! Krystal, get home before I call your Daddy!" She drove off and that poor little boy ran as fast as he could with his pants around his ankles! We got a good laugh out of it, and he never did tell his friend.

trophy-1

came across a guy with no legssitting at a tree when i was scouting one day it was very cold i walked by he never moved or spoke.

devil-dog

found a dead doe, which had been birthing a yearling.
she and the yearling were both dead.
first time I've ever seen anything like that..........

nwgahunter

I had something similiar

came across a guy with no legssitting at a tree when i was scouting one day it was very cold i walked by he never moved or spoke.

I got drawn for a hunt in Chattanooga at the Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant years ago and it rained off and on the entire weekend. TWRA had a trailer they pulled around and picked you up. I was in the trailer when they stopped and a guy with no legs came scooting along and then pulled himself on the back of the trailer. He looked at everyone as serious as could be and said "This rain really chaps my butt." Everyone in the trailer started looking around at each other and then started laughing so hard we probably ran every deer off of that place. Everytime I think about it I laugh out loud.

benellisbe

Saw a peacock walking through the woods in Southern Michigan.

My dad claims he saw a Panther near Clarks Hill Lake, in Lincoln County.

I used to hunt in a club up there that borderd clarks hill and corps property. One of the members swore he had seen one. I never saw any tracks or anything that would lead me to believe it... but he was convinced he had...

buckslayjay

just last week i was hanging a stand and found a dead cyote with a whole squirrel hanging out of his mouth, must have tried to eat it in one bite and choked

ilykh

One morning it was terrible foggy.. I noticed tail lights down this pipeline I was going to hunt.
I was nervous to even go down there being that I'm a girl & all alone in the middle of nowhere :)]) But it was some drunk guy that had been beat up bad...telling some story how "their still chasing me" Needless to say, I called the cops but he was gone before they left the donut shop! That hunting trip was wack....

Arrowhead95

I got drawn for a hunt in Chattanooga at the Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant years ago and it rained off and on the entire weekend. TWRA had a trailer they pulled around and picked you up. I was in the trailer when they stopped and a guy with no legs came scooting along and then pulled himself on the back of the trailer. He looked at everyone as serious as could be and said "This rain really chaps my butt." Everyone in the trailer started looking around at each other and then started laughing so hard we probably ran every deer off of that place. Everytime I think about it I laugh out loud.

nwgahunter >> That made me laugh out loud too. At least that guy was out there enjoying himself. Good for him.

aujack

this is a story that happened to a friend but its pretty freaky.

One day a friend and her daughter who was about 8 months old at the time were driving on a county highway in Chattahoochee Cnty where hardly any cars ever traveled.she had noticed fresh tire tracks leading down into a STEEP and i mean STEEP revine. so she parked and got out of the car and looked down and saw that the car had crashed and started to yell to see if anyone was there/alive. she got no response. so she started to crawl down the the revine where the car was but decided that it wasnt safe and that she probably wouldnt be able to get back up. So she walks back up to her car and sees a man wearing camo trying to get into her car and she starts yelling at him to get away, frantically the man took of running and hid behind a rock and was still visible to my friend and she asked if he was ok and told him that she could see him but he just crouched and acted like he was well hidden. so she is very freaked out at this point so she gets in her car and drives off and calls the police to report it. never heard anything else about it but if she hadn't of locked her car she probably wouldnt have a daughter anymore.

She thinks the man may have been drinking and didnt want to get caught.