What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

eagle-eye

Want to hear weird....

Me and my girlfriend at the time went to our lease property in Taylor Co just before bow season of 98 to work on my stands. As we drove up we saw about 3 or 4 Mexicans on the pourch to the bunkhouse, turns out a half dozen of them had moved into and were living in our club bunkhouse.

The good part was they had run the rats and mice out for us.. most of them anyway.

baker7mm

hunting some private land in Jackson Co neer a chicken farm , and had an hispanic dude walk down into the woods from the farm at 530am opening day gun season... well he dropped trou and dropped a deuce under my tree... I do not know much spanish but I let a little "o te' le essay "out and scared the rest of 'it' out of him it took him a minute to figure out where I was... couple weeks later immigration busted where the illegals that were living on the farm early in the AM and there were illegals running all through the woods, with cops right behind them.:banana: :flag:
-lots of stills at Redlands WMA. a couple of old cars. And I also found a folding chair strapped to a tree there.
I now am stationed in Indiana and I hunt on my base, found a huge air vent in the middle of the woods. The same type of air vent that are on top of all the munitions bunkers on my base. but this one is 1/2 mile from any road, weird, kind of like on Lost...
and last but not least 36 roofing nails in the tires of my jeep after we got close to some old boys 'Crops' in NW Florida. ( I am too nice, I returned all the tacks to the Farmer) nicely placed in his driveway, we were nice enough to let the cops know about the 'Crops' we even took them on the trail from his house to our lease.:rofl:

eagle-eye

It's not weird but My cuz found a 2.4 oz gold nugget while elk hunting in Nevada..

Ludlow75

Was hiking up near Andrews, NC about 8 years ago. I was about 10 miles into the trail and decided to set up camp. Woke up the next morning crawled out of my tent and all of the sudden I was ambushed by about 20 FBI and ATF with fully automatic weapons drawn. They thougth I was Eric Rudolph (serial bomber).

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
found some cow bones,found some marijuana growing in early bow season i left it alone.weird thing that happened i shot a deer with a crossbow.i threw the bolt over by the tree i was in.the next evening i hunted the tree the bolt had alot dry blood on it.along comes a oppossum and starts licking the blood on the bolt then he starts walking off with it so i shoot him through the gut and sticks him to the ground and he pulls around around for about 5 minutes before i shot him again and sent him to the promiseland.i should have just let him take it.

General Lee

Found the local high school principal and one of the teachers one afternoon after school getting extra credit in anatomy a few years ago:hair::hair:

Elmo

:huh:I found a nice non-typical on my family land. No signs of what he died of. Told my brother-n-law, he got the rack afew days later.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Found an older 50 models truck that had been parked in the woods. Tree growing up through the front end. Hood and motor were gone but just thought it was weird to see a tree about 30" in diameter right right where the motor should sit.

whitworth

Years ago I was sitting on the ground

near a clearing. It was clear of tall trees, but the brush was anywhere from inches high to a foot.
I hear this surrying on the ground and I finally see these quail headed rapidly past me on the ground.
About a minute later, the red fox appears about 15 yards away. He's moving right at me. I moved and within ten feet or so, he breaks towards where the quail had headed.

Talk about dumbfounded.

BowtechRedneck

I also found a spot that had 10-12 USED tampons hanging about 2-3 feet off the ground in the trees. This was also in the Oconee NF. Got the heck out of there since I didn't know if it was some kind of devil worship thing or something.

Sonds like a cheap way to hang some deer sent.:rofl:

THREEJAYS

Found a wagon wheel rim on crk bank with a large tree grown thru it.Also found a beaver skull once,them critters have some big teeth.

Alan in GA

old home sites,,,,

I'm 56 and have explored many woods in many states being that Dad was in the Air Force [B-52 Nav before he retired in 1966]. I've lived in:
Louisiana [2x]
California [2x]
Florida [2x]
Georgia [.....now]
New York [upstate 25 miles from Canada]
Texas [Galviston I think]

I think I started exploring woods and swamps in Louisiana. We would find old slave shacks in the woods,,a shallow well nearby [always used to look down with flashlight] and the homes looked like the owners left without taking much, probably didn't have much.
I still remember a few old home places I've explored,,and one I WISHED I had explored. That one was a log home totally grown over. Found it in the Pumkinvine Creek area of Paulding/Bartow county line. We were on our brand new Honda 350 Scramblers , 1970 models. Rode out where we were always afraid to drive our cars. Saw a beautiful LOG home somewhere out there in North Paulding far from any travelable road. Might have been a jeep trail near it but definately 4wd area.
We had a deer club near Buckhead/Madison area. It had a 2 story double [both ends]fireplace old farm home that was supposed to be about 150 years old. I tried to sleep in it one night,,,no way!
Anyway, OLD HOME SIGHTS have always interested me. Wished I could click a 'history' button and hear what all had happened in each home. Of course we always talk about metal detecting near them, too.
Here's an old bridge somewhere near Hampton [I think] Ga we found while exploring a possible deer lease a few years ago.

Bridge.jpg

hicktownboy

I was huntin Mcgraw Ford WMA in Ball Ground one morning... Walking out I went a different way I normally did. I found an original maglite. It had to be at least 20 years old. I turned it on, it worked.
I was huntin in Green County a few years back. Walking through some real thick pines. I conveniently tripped over a dead end sign. It was bent and I asked a few people around there, it probably came from a tornado 20 plus years ago.

Racor

I once found a "sheep" skin hanging from a fence. It's bones scattered about and wierd symbols made from sticks hanging from branches all around the skin. I was about 14-15 at the time.

A couple of my brothers, a few friends and I went back a few days later and all of us thought what you're thinking. "Some wierd people in this world!" :huh:

Other than that I shot my first deer out of the front seat of a 1930-40s vintage pickup! That old truck had a tree growing from the bed and with a bucket to sit on I could look right out over the dash! It made a great ground blind! (Hmmm now I think about it, is that legal? :bounce: )

Jorge

Not all that weird, but we found these hanging from a tree at the top of a gulch in Colorado in 2005. We left them but I asked the rancher if he knew anything about them and he knew nothing. I suppose they are some sort of a cow bell. :huh: I have intended to go back up there and get them on subsequent years but can't find the gumption to scramble back up there.

cans2.jpg

jody7818

Alan in GA...you're braver than I am walking across that bridge. :hair:

Found an old volkswagen bug in the woods and numerous homesites. I've found 2 climber deer stands left on the trees with the stands grown to the tree. On my first deer hunting experience, my dad and I found a hunting shack way back in the mountains. (Bear hunters maybe??) At the time, it was probably less than 5 years old. The hunters built the shack out of small tree trunks (~ 3" diameter) and wrapped with clear plastic. It was a neat find considering that was my first hunting experience.