When on an evening sit, if deer are feeding/sparring/bedding within 20 yards of your stand at last light, what do you do to exit?

Wifeshusband

Fellow I know let's go with a coyote call. Claims it works. If you try it, let me know. I have been suspicious some time now about his vast bag of tricks.

coastalredneck

if they can't smell you my experience is they won't spook to bad.. didn't read entire post but this would be important.. just ease out if the wind is right.. they will be back

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
These girls did the same thing to me Saturday night. I sat until almost dark and then just blew a couple of times and got their attention. They eased on off after that.
Clover10 2.JPG

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I do a pretty good squirrel call by mouth. Will usually move em on without too much fuss.

Your spot is absolutely NOT ruined. Don't leave deer to find deer.

Don't overthink, and give them pine goats too much credit. For all the supernatural powers they supposedly have, I've seen too many of them do stupid things and get killed...:LOL:

Lilly001

I’ve tried the laser cat toy thing. I did everything but shine it in their eyes. No reaction. Now I just ask them nicely to leave and they usually do.

RipperIII

if its doe and or young bucks, I'll start grunting like a mature buck...get a little more aggressive if need be...they' ll exit without much fuss

Jack Flynn

Just get down, they really don't care. They're kinda like your dog, they'll keep coming back. Don't overthink things......but when in doubt back out.

hambone76

I just wait them out. If they take too long I’ll let out and owl hoot. That’s moved them off in the past.

Kris87

I just shine mine with a light. They see enough headlights to not spook too terribly.

godogs57

I just get down quietly and slip out.

I’ll do that, but if the situation doesn’t present that opportunity,I’ll bark like a dog. Moves em out every time. And, the deer never associated the noise with a human. I never talk, sing eye of the tiger....anything like that. I always go to extremes to make the deer think there’s no human in their zip code.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Fellow I know let's go with a coyote call. Claims it works. If you try it, let me know. I have been suspicious some time now about his vast bag of tricks.

I do the same and they usually clear out pretty quick. Although it's probably more from the loud noise than it is from the actual sound of yotes.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
If it's a stand that gets used a bunch, especially on food sources, the deer will figure it out after a while no matter what you do to push them off.

Doesnt mean you wont still see deer there, but they will definitely adjust their movement around your moving thru or barking or coyote howling or talking or clapping hands etc.

My personal preference in farm country is to have someone drive thru the field and push them off it. In the woods I like yote howls.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If it's a stand that gets used a bunch, especially on food sources, the deer will figure it out after a while no matter what you do to push them off.

Doesnt mean you wont still see deer there, but they will definitely adjust their movement around your moving thru or barking or coyote howling or talking or clapping hands etc.

My personal preference in farm country is to have someone drive thru the field and push them off it. In the woods I like yote howls.

Yep. I try not to pressure any one spot too much because of that. I got a box blind sitting at one end of a long thin foodplot and the first thing they do when they show up is check the box blind to see if the windows are open. I've even got strips of dark colored camo cloth hanging on the inside of the windows to mask the open space but it doesn't fool the deer for 2 seconds. If the windows are open those heads are gonna be a bobbing up and down while they feed. I've been known to open the windows and then put a climber somewhere else on the perimeter of the plot and hunt from it.