When on an evening sit, if deer are feeding/sparring/bedding within 20 yards of your stand at last light, what do you do to exit?

marcel ledbetter

Thing you have to realize is there’s a huge difference being seen by a young buck versus a mature 5 yr old . They don’t just go back to eating after seeing you climb down from your stand.

Stephen2110

Right, I agree. But one thing I have personally witnessed, is when creeping to the stand on an AM sit way before daylight. I've gotten in the stand and as the sun started lighting up my surroundings, I've seen deer bedded within 50 yards of my stand.

I'm pretty good at walking quietly and usually don't use a light, but I still would assume they'd have bolted. I think it's because after dark or before sunrise, they aren't as nervous or paranoid. Now if that is because they can't SEE you or aren't as jumpy, I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable than me.

HoofTracker

One more question, is this spot ruined now? Do I need to just take my stand and move it elsewhere?
I know I am coming in years later, but ditto this. The reason so many deer are killed by cars or shot from the road is because they do not perceive the associated threat until it is too late. A low to normal tone of voice and it is a good chance the deer move to a safe distance (barely hear you) and maintain that barrier until its gone. Then softly move away trying to maintain that noise level and keep the wind in your favor if possible.
The same idea is applied to covering or masking scents. Deer smell you but the scent is faint, at this point they cannot hear or see you (staying still and quiet) so they feel safe to maintain that range or path - which is why one sets up in a location to close the distance and intercept. Just relax and have fun, let that area cool down for a few days and everything will be right as rain.

bassculler

The reason I'm posting is because of last night. I was in one of my better spots where I've had pictures and sign of buck activity. I didn't see anything until about 10 minutes before last light. A small 4pt walked out and began rubbing and just having a grand ole time. He was never farther than 20 yards from me. Call me picky, but I'm not interested in shooting young bucks. So I watched him until he almost disappeared in the darkness. About a minute or so before I could no longer see the shape of him, another much larger bodied deer stepped out behind him. This deer was easily twice the size and weight. My heart jumped as they dissolved into the pitch black.

So, sitting in my stand at around 8:00pm, I can still hear what sounds like sparring. Very gentle, light tickling of antlers. I decided to just hold still until I heard them leave. Well 15-20 minutes passes by and they sound like they are prancing around, rubbing, scraping, and having a blast. My wife knows what time I'm usually home and she knows to come looking if she hasn't seen or heard from me too long after dark. The sounds are now within 10-15 yards as I feel my phone start vibrating. I assumed correctly it was her checking on me. I never seem to remember to lower the brightness of my cell phone so checking my phone wasn't an option.

Long story short, I waited another 15 minutes listening to these deer meander all around me, even directly below my feet at one point. I knew my wife would be worried by now and would come looking, so I started gathering my gear to leave. Once ready another 10 mins has gone by, deer clearly still very close. I stood slowly and turned my back to where I thought they were and checked my phone. Of course the screen erupts like 12,000 suns exploding and illuminates me. That's when I heard stomping. Resigning myself to destroying one of my favorite setups, I just start climbing down. One deer blew as my feet touched the ground and I assume they both took off.

Have you guys been in this situation and how did you handle it? Any suggestions, stories, or reassurances you can share will be very much appreciated!
Loud. Works every time

Last edited by a moderator:

00Beau

I wait until dark. Start down slow, they start moving away, if they blow at me,I blow back. They ease off, I ease off. Done it forever. Hunt that same spot, same result more times than I can count.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
This is a fun thread! I’ve heard bout everything cept shots being fired into the ground or at their feet! I haven’t had the opportunity many times, but I’d just start talking to them and climb or rappel down. Say ok, time to go, nice and calm like

shootemall

I know it's an old thread but I kept thinking, I'd try to call one in. I hunt public land, so this hasn't ever happened to me, and I try grunts and rattling and wonder if I'm only driving them off. At least if I grunted and rattled with them there I would know if my calling works. Like when I think I'm doing a turkey cluck, but I'm really doing a putt and warning every bird of danger.
@Stephen2110 how did it go, did you go back?

treemanjohn

Banned
I know I am coming in years later, but ditto this. The reason so many deer are killed by cars or shot from the road is because they do not perceive the associated threat until it is too late. A low to normal tone of voice and it is a good chance the deer move to a safe distance (barely hear you) and maintain that barrier until its gone. Then softly move away trying to maintain that noise level and keep the wind in your favor if possible.
The same idea is applied to covering or masking scents. Deer smell you but the scent is faint, at this point they cannot hear or see you (staying still and quiet) so they feel safe to maintain that range or path - which is why one sets up in a location to close the distance and intercept. Just relax and have fun, let that area cool down for a few days and everything will be right as rain.
Great advice. Never ever make eye contact and never be threatening.

BOWFINWHITT

The reason I'm posting is because of last night. I was in one of my better spots where I've had pictures and sign of buck activity. I didn't see anything until about 10 minutes before last light. A small 4pt walked out and began rubbing and just having a grand ole time. He was never farther than 20 yards from me. Call me picky, but I'm not interested in shooting young bucks. So I watched him until he almost disappeared in the darkness. About a minute or so before I could no longer see the shape of him, another much larger bodied deer stepped out behind him. This deer was easily twice the size and weight. My heart jumped as they dissolved into the pitch black.

So, sitting in my stand at around 8:00pm, I can still hear what sounds like sparring. Very gentle, light tickling of antlers. I decided to just hold still until I heard them leave. Well 15-20 minutes passes by and they sound like they are prancing around, rubbing, scraping, and having a blast. My wife knows what time I'm usually home and she knows to come looking if she hasn't seen or heard from me too long after dark. The sounds are now within 10-15 yards as I feel my phone start vibrating. I assumed correctly it was her checking on me. I never seem to remember to lower the brightness of my cell phone so checking my phone wasn't an option.

Long story short, I waited another 15 minutes listening to these deer meander all around me, even directly below my feet at one point. I knew my wife would be worried by now and would come looking, so I started gathering my gear to leave. Once ready another 10 mins has gone by, deer clearly still very close. I stood slowly and turned my back to where I thought they were and checked my phone. Of course the screen erupts like 12,000 suns exploding and illuminates me. That's when I heard stomping. Resigning myself to destroying one of my favorite setups, I just start climbing down. One deer blew as my feet touched the ground and I assume they both took off.

Have you guys been in this situation and how did you handle it? Any suggestions, stories, or reassurances you can share will be very much appreciated!
Yep just start talking, but what do you say?

rosewood

Great advice. Never ever make eye contact and never be threatening.
Eye contact definitely has an effect. I feed deer in my backyard, many times when I go to my shop, they are there feeding and I have found if I just keep my head looking forward and don't change my walk, they will just stare at me and many times go back to eating. If I pause or look at them, they go ahead and run off.

Rosewood

Stephen2110

I know it's an old thread but I kept thinking, I'd try to call one in. I hunt public land, so this hasn't ever happened to me, and I try grunts and rattling and wonder if I'm only driving them off. At least if I grunted and rattled with them there I would know if my calling works. Like when I think I'm doing a turkey cluck, but I'm really doing a putt and warning every bird of danger.
@Stephen2110 how did it go, did you go back?
Whoa, I didn't expect this thread to wake up! Lol. I did go back that year and sad to say, the activity dropped. I don't know if it was related tho.

I have tried many of the suggestions here since I posted this. It's always hard to tell if it was effective, but there is a lot of knowledge in this thread.

SpotandStalk

Put your flashlight in your hand, hand on stock, and ease your gun up until they’re illuminated in your scope. Gently squeeze the trigger.

JWF III

So am just being paranoid about all this? I've heard singing, howling, and talking.. Maybe my spot isn't ruined if I just climbed down and walked off
I know I’m a couple years too late, but you ruined it forever! Just send gps coordinates and I can go check it for you.;)

Wyman

earlthegoat2

I get up and leave as if there are no deer around.

Too much angst has inundated itself into hunting.