Where is god?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Okay, I googled it but could not find anything about "research scientists and their salvation studies." :confused: Need some help here! A name of the scientist, or the studies, or a link, or something.
Lol ok I’ll send you some links shortly.

WaltL1

Agreed. I don’t believe in God because of those stories.

I do believe if they’re true - the only way they could have taken place is by something like God.
Well yeah, I think thats point of all the stories. It would have taken a god therefore God must exist.
If the stories arent true......

stringmusic

I know this has been discussed before, but with everyone’s indulgence I’d like to reopen it.

Within the last week, I’ve learned of two young men, both active Christians and with young children, that have been diagnosed with cancer, with one prognosis being especially ominous. So it begs the question, where is god and why isn’t he already working miracle cures? We’re back to either god can’t, or chooses not to. If it’s the latter, then young families will be left without a father and wage earner. If it’s the former, what is god waiting on?
I know I’m going back to the OP here, but I had a thought/question based on the premise.

If these two people lived until they were very old would you then come to the conclusion that God is to be praised for it? Or is it that you only question Gods presence when life doesn’t meet your particular set of criteria?

oldfella1962

The first sentence has a hole. What is good?
In my mind anybody who has ever pondered what "good" means will have their own interpretation of that word based on internalizing their own and others' experiences and realizations during their engagements with their environment, thus creating a concept of "good" that will be as unique as their own fingerprint. That's my Readers Digest "condensed" answer to the question anyway.

But as to your question of whether God (the Biblical I assume in this case) should be praised or condemned depending on the outcome of a deadly medical condition it's a moot point for me. Being an atheist, I don't praise nor condemn any supernatural entity because none of them exist. :huh:

Any criticisms of the Biblical God (for example) are hypothetical and are criticisms of the character of the mythological God as described in the Bible.

oldfella1962

A God should know
Perhaps. :unsure: The Biblical God should know being omniscient and perfect by default. Gods of other religions might have different powers or even attitudes towards what is considered to be "good".

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Perhaps. :unsure: The Biblical God should know being omniscient and perfect by default. Gods of other religions might have different powers or even attitudes towards what is considered to be "good".
Surprisingly not odd, but history has shown that Gods tend to think an awful lot like their followers, they love ,hate, and judge the same people along the lines that their followers do also.
It just seems to work out that way :huh:

oldfella1962

Surprisingly not odd, but history has shown that Gods tend to think an awful lot like their followers, they love ,hate, and judge the same people along the lines that their followers do also.
It just seems to work out that way :huh:
Yes, it does seem to work out that way - allow me to don my apologist hat!
Gods have to assume some sort of humanistic traits, because humans are so incredibly bag of hammers stupid that they could never understand the complicated, nuanced, abstract ideas that a supernatural timeless, spaceless, ageless being would possess.

bill.jpg

Baroque Brass

I know I’m going back to the OP here, but I had a thought/question based on the premise.

If these two people lived until they were very old would you then come to the conclusion that God is to be praised for it? Or is it that you only question Gods presence when life doesn’t meet your particular set of criteria?
No, I wouldn’t praise god because these two men lived to a ripe old age. Healthy people normally live a long time. I’m questioning why two young men with families are being dealt this fate, despite incessant prayer, if there’s a loving, omnipotent god that has the power to heal. Or why, if that god controls everything that happens, why they have cancer to begin with. Why do children, especially, have to deal with cancer? Why does god get all the credit when good things happen but bad things are never gods fault?

stringmusic

No, I wouldn’t praise god because these two men lived to a ripe old age. Healthy people normally live a long time. I’m questioning why two young men with families are being dealt this fate, despite incessant prayer, if there’s a loving, omnipotent god that has the power to heal. Or why, if that god controls everything that happens, why they have cancer to begin with. Why do children, especially, have to deal with cancer? Why does god get all the credit when good things happen but bad things are never gods fault?
You’re essentially asking “why do bad things happen to people, especially God’s people?”

“He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5‬:‭45‬ ‭

My question to you would be what makes you believe God grants His people some kind of great life on this earth, without hardships?

Why does god get all the credit when good things happen but bad things are never gods fault?
I guess the same reason you blame Him for bad things and self admittedly don’t accredit good to Him?

j_seph

I know this has been discussed before, but with everyone’s indulgence I’d like to reopen it.

Within the last week, I’ve learned of two young men, both active Christians and with young children, that have been diagnosed with cancer, with one prognosis being especially ominous. So it begs the question, where is god and why isn’t he already working miracle cures? We’re back to either god can’t, or chooses not to. If it’s the latter, then young families will be left without a father and wage earner. If it’s the former, what is god waiting on?
Why didn't GOD heal my wife from a brain tumor? She fought for 10 years, and eventually succumbed to it. Why was she not healed from this from the age of 26 to 36? She received her healing on the other side, just not on this side. The trials and tribulations she and I went through for 10 years, why didn't God stop that? Could he have stopped it all? In my belief, yes he could have. Why couldn't she and I not have kids? All so many questions one could ask God, all so many reasons one could get mad at God but we didn't. God did not put us there, but he was there with us through it all. Jus as he did Shadrack Meshack and Abednego. Since that time I grew closer to him, remarried and now have 3 beautiful stepkids, 2 grand kids and a 3rd on the way. I have been a help for others who have had similar issues that others could not not help. Why, because the others had no clue of what it was like. It made me not only a stronger person but to walk closer with God. I will always say God has a plan because he has always had one in my life.

oldfella1962

Good comment & questions! But my answer goes back the roots of "religion". Humans evolved with very few answers as to why anything - favorable or unfavorable - happens. But humans did have plenty of questions! We learned how things happen, but the questions that always seemed unanswered was "why?" especially concerning ourselves and other humans. But the brain that asks "why" is the same brain that has an unlimited imagination, and we invented the answer to the question "why" in the form of invisible supernatural entities who pull the strings. We make up stories about the string pullers that are believable and relatable to ourselves and our fellow members of our tribe. Many people still use this model of dealing with life's most important question (and other questions too of course). Some people (like myself) believe that no supernatural entities are pulling the strings. There is no discernable "plan" for our lives, the planet, or the universe. There are 4,000+ religions on the planet - are there 4,000+ "plans" for the universe? By my reasoning that would be ridiculous. Could there be a "plan" that humans don't know about? There could be, but so far no evidence supports that. The bottom line is with the laws of science/nature being what they are "bad things" are going to happen to "good/innocent" people and vice-versa. All we can do is try to help & comfort people who are riding this rocky planet through space.

stringmusic

Why didn't GOD heal my wife from a brain tumor? She fought for 10 years, and eventually succumbed to it. Why was she not healed from this from the age of 26 to 36? She received her healing on the other side, just not on this side. The trials and tribulations she and I went through for 10 years, why didn't God stop that? Could he have stopped it all? In my belief, yes he could have. Why couldn't she and I not have kids? All so many questions one could ask God, all so many reasons one could get mad at God but we didn't. God did not put us there, but he was there with us through it all. Jus as he did Shadrack Meshack and Abednego. Since that time I grew closer to him, remarried and now have 3 beautiful stepkids, 2 grand kids and a 3rd on the way. I have been a help for others who have had similar issues that others could not not help. Why, because the others had no clue of what it was like. It made me not only a stronger person but to walk closer with God. I will always say God has a plan because he has always had one in my life.
Absolutely fantastic post that could only come from the hope we find in Christ!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
As a father and husband I can certainly feel for your pain and appreciate your triumph. I can also see why you attribute things that are unexpected and unexplained to a higher power.
I will leave it at that out of respect for the lovely lady who passed much too soon.