Why is Andrew Jones not in the HOF?

Duff

I think he should be there 100%. Same player as Scott Rolen imo.

DannyW

Short answer? His last 5-6 dismal playing years.

HOF voters constantly harp about using a player's "peak 7" or "peak 10" years of play as the basis for HOF consideration. But they only say that as justification for electing players like Sandy Koufax to the HOF.

Let's face it. Sandy Koufax was a tremendous pitcher...for 6 years. Is 6 great years, and 165 total wins over a 12-year career, truly a worthy HOF resume?

Back to Scott Rolen. Let's look at some stats (sorry Elfii!) for both his (HOF) and Andruw's (non-HOF) 10-year peaks, 1997-2006:

BA
Rolen = .285
Jones = .266

HR's
Rolen = 236
Jones = 345

RBI's
Rolen = 902
Jones = 1,034

OPS
Rolen = .886
Jones = .847

Hits
Rolen = 1,366
Jones = 1,568

Stolen Bases
Rolen = 88
Jones = 115

Gold Gloves
Rolen = 8
Jones = 10

I still believe that Jones will someday make the HOF. He is jumping about 10% each year in votes. It's just a shame that it has taken this long to induct him.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Short answer? His last 5-6 dismal playing years.

HOF voters constantly harp about using a player's "peak 7" or "peak 10" years of play as the basis for HOF consideration. But they only say that as justification for electing players like Sandy Koufax to the HOF.

Let's face it. Sandy Koufax was a tremendous pitcher...for 6 years. Is 6 great years, and 165 total wins over a 12-year career, truly a worthy HOF resume?

Back to Scott Rolen. Let's look at some stats (sorry Elfii!) for both his (HOF) and Andruw's (non-HOF) 10-year peaks, 1997-2006:

BA
Rolen = .285
Jones = .266

HR's
Rolen = 236
Jones = 345

RBI's
Rolen = 902
Jones = 1,034

OPS
Rolen = .886
Jones = .847

Hits
Rolen = 1,366
Jones = 1,568

Stolen Bases
Rolen = 88
Jones = 115

Gold Gloves
Rolen = 8
Jones = 10

I still believe that Jones will someday make the HOF. He is jumping about 10% each year in votes. It's just a shame that it has taken this long to induct him.

He should have gotten in before Rolen and not because I used to be a Braves fan until we cut the cable and Bally wants big bucks to watch them. Andruw Jones was definitely all that + a basket of chips.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
He should have gotten in before Rolen and not because I used to be a Braves fan until we cut the cable and Bally wants big bucks to watch them. Andruw Jones was definitely all that + a basket of chips.
It's never hurt to play on the bigger market Northern and Western teams for most of your career to get in the hall either. ;)

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
He hasn’t kissed the right behind probably

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It's never hurt to play on the bigger market Northern and Western teams for most of your career to get in the hall either. ;)
I was going to say because he played for a team in the Deep South. And has Dale Murphy made it?

HermanMerman

I think he should be there 100%. Same player as Scott Rolen imo.

Scott Rolen was a great 3rd baseman, but for a ten year stretch, Andruw Jones was from another planet in center field.The only comparable guy was Willie Mays, and I wasn’t alive to see him play.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
A career 250 batting average. He struck out a lot. Consider what happened to Chipper's batting average when they put Texiera behind him compared to Jones behind him. Lots of fun to watch Andrew play center field, but he ain't among the greatest ever ball players. Neither is Rolen. Neither is Baines. Baines, who most folks use as an example of a player who doesn't belong, has much better offensive stats (aside from Hr's, but.....steroid era n all, I don't care about HRs). Andrew had 300 more strike outs in 2500 less AB's than Baines. We all enjoyed rooting for him, but he ain't no HOF'r.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

BamaGeorgialine

Scott Rolen was a great 3rd baseman, but for a ten year stretch, Andruw Jones was from another planet in center field.The only comparable guy was Willie Mays, and I wasn’t alive to see him play.
I've said it on here before. Ken Griffey Jr was better than AJ. Not by a lot, but better. BYW, I am an AJ fan and a Braves fan

Duff

I agree somewhat with Jb. I’m old skool too. I think you should be a dominant player of your area to be in the Hall. But, with the “very good” players that have been elected the last couple of decades, Andrew deserves it.

Also, the “roid” guys should be in too. MLB tries to act like they did something sneeky, when they knew it the entire time.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
When a fella like Bobby Cox says you’re the best CF ever; you can take that to the bank! AJ is a HoFer no doubt about it. He’ll get the votes in another year or two

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Reggie Jackson stuck out more times than anyone ever…

His stats are a lot better than AJs. The only solid argument for AJ is defense, but he wasn’t Ozzie Smith level, much shorter dominant era and the offense tanked fast……Ozzie is the last defensive focused HOF’r (and ESPN idiots say he doesn’t belong either, they only care about home runs).

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
His stats are a lot better than AJs. The only solid argument for AJ is defense, but he wasn’t Ozzie Smith level, much shorter dominant era and the offense tanked fast……Ozzie is the last defensive focused HOF’r (and ESPN idiots say he doesn’t belong either, they only care about home runs).
If that’s the angle. The only argument is bc he was a CFer in a time when CFers hit a lot of HRs. AJ hit 400+. He’ll get there, don’t you fret