Why is it…

HermanMerman

That I have to be the one always finding the yellow jacket nests? I was just out for a leisurely stroll in the backyard with the dogs and had a half a dozen or so fly up my shorts and say hello.

Hillbilly stalker

I have a buddy that has the same curse. If there’s a nest around…..he’s gonna get in it. I watched him bail off a John Deere mowing a food plot on a power line one time. I’d hate for them to get up my britches leg tho….that’s a whole different kind of evil right there.::gone:

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
My poor old dachshund used to find them all the time. Her nose would swell up twice the size of her face.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Dogs really stir them up. My old dog and I used to get in them 3 or 4 times a year, every year. Seemed like I always got the worst of it too. That rascal would take off running back to the house and before I knew it they’d be all over me

Toliver

I've been lucky with them my whole life. Never been stung from disturbing a yellow jacket nest and I've run across a bunch of them. That's not to say I've never been stung by them because I have plenty of times but always by singles I've managed to run afoul of.

This does bring to mind that one time long ago....

I was about 11 or 12 when my neighbor and I were out in my back yard, which was woods, turning over rocks and logs and such to see what creatures we could find and catch. I grabbed hold of a rock that was right at the wight limit I could lift up. He stood at the ready on the action side as I pulled the rock toward me. I got it up and about 2 seconds later he took off running. I had no idea why. I let the rock back down and proceeded to follow the sounds of him screaming toward his house. I never looked back and I never got in a hurry. I made it to his house and found his mama stripping his clothes off and fighting the yellow jackets therein. That boy was stung all over. They had gone down his shirt and up his shorts. He had them distinctive red whelps all over him. And of course being a boy and doing what boys do when their friends are hurt but not dying, I laughed at him. Those things had paid no attention to me even though I walked past the hole and took the same path he did but they sure put him out of commission for the rest of the day.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You learn to look for nests after enough of those incidents.

HermanMerman

You learn to look for nests after enough of those incidents.

I’m a slow learner I reckon. I’ve got something waiting for them when they go to bed tonight, hope they enjoy their final few hours.

Core Lokt

I've came across several YJ nest but have never gotten into one. However, I learned that bumble bees nest in the ground the hard way mowing the house food plot...

Toliver

I've came across several YJ nest but have never gotten into one. However, I learned that bumble bees nest in the ground the hard way mowing the house food plot...
They will also build inside a birdhouse. I learned that one the hard way. One of the most painful stings I've had. Not a typical paper type nest either. A lot of moss and other organic debris used in that nest.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They will also build inside a birdhouse. I learned that one the hard way. One of the most painful stings I've had. Not a typical paper type nest either. A lot of moss and other organic debris used in that nest.
When bumblebees sting you, they latch on, and you about have to pick them off.

HermanMerman

When bumblebees sting you, they latch on, and you about have to pick them off.

I had a Jack Russell when I was a kid that came screaming his head off back to the house one day. He had a big bumblebee riding him like he was a rodeo bull. He refused to let go.

bighonkinjeep

I used to get stung a couple of times a year. When I hit 45 I ran over a nest with the push mower and one got me on the finger. No biggie I kept mowing. A few minutes later my whole hand and arm had swollen up like Popeye and the skin was stretching so fast it hurt like the dickens. Emergency room here I come.
Apparently now I have a bad allergy after having no allergys my entire life. Every time I get stung now off to the Doc we go....
Growing old aint for sissys.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
You’re not alone, I’ve found several nests the hard way. My record is 24 stings. I’m good with the stings though, unless they get my hand. I was cutting a deer up once and grabbed a yellow jacket that was trying to steal a meal that I hadn’t noticed. Hand swole so bad i couldn’t make a fist for a couple hours.

Baroque Brass

I got lit up last summer. Yeller jackets are vicious and aggressive. When one stings he leaves pheromones so his buddies can say hello too. I’ve found a mix of gas and diesel poured down the hole after dark will fix them right up.