Why you don’t shoot 300 Blackout in a 223 barrel.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I don't understand how there was enough free bore in that chamber for the bolt to come into full battery instead of being blocked out by the bullet on the lands.
Maybe as the bolt slammed forward? The bullet resest into the case enough without being blocked by powder?
If the bolt is not in full battery , the firing pin should not be able to be struck?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I don't understand how there was enough free bore in that chamber for the bolt to come into full battery instead of being blocked out by the bullet on the lands.
Maybe as the bolt slammed forward? The bullet resest into the case enough without being blocked by powder?
If the bolt is not in full battery , the firing pin should not be able to be struck?
Not sure how it happened, I wasn’t there and only have the barrel and carrier to look at. Everything but the firing pin is either broken or deformed.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
It was a Ruger if that makes a difference.

transfixer

I have a laser imprinted dust cover on each of my .300's, not for my identification , but in case one of my friends borrows one of mine, or shoots it while we're target shooting, and I always look at the rounds in whatever mag I pick up before I insert it, to see what it is I"m shooting, fmj or soft point , or hollow points ? I only have one .223/5.56 and I seldom ever shoot it, as its not my favorite caliber, there would be more chance of one of my friends inserting a mag of 5.56 into one of my .300's than the other way around

Jester896

Senior Clown
if you laid the 2 side by side it would be easy to see. I'll try to post a couple of pictures later if someone else doesn't.

Both rounds have the OAL. The ogive of the bullet gives it plenty of clearance. Don't forget how much of the .223 case you cut off too...about where the shoulder and case body meets which allows this.

that sure is a long .22 cal bullet now

killerv

might could understand why with subsonics and those bigger bullets but a supersonic would probably close just fine

bullgator

The 300 Blackout (7.62x35) case is shortened by 10mm from the 5.56 parent case. That 30 cal. bullet starts further back and roughly equals the smaller bullet at the point of entering the freebore.