Wild dogs in our woods! Breed?

robinleeanne

Anyone know if these are a certain breed? They are wild acting and skittish!The seem very young! They have been in woods behind our house for a few days now!20220822_174519.jpg

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Tread very lightly with any comments made. A click on the rules should explain my meaning.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
looks like some mixed up catch me if you can breeding.

Nothing pure about them I would say

Hillbilly stalker

The one on the far right has his tail and hackles up like he aint too scared. He be the leader of the cast aways. I used to see dogs pack up like that at night in town when I worked 3rd.

breathe in

they look alike and same age, probably dumped. looks like some shepherd and some golden retriever and...?

if you have a shelter in your county, see if they'll come out. or check for some lost/found/rescue groups on fb in your area see if they'll come out.

MOTS

Shepherd mix no doubt on far left. The others look like same litter to me.

DannyW

I'll bet you can make friends with them if you want to. They look like they want to come to you but don't trust humans at the moment. Understandable.

Next time you see them go sit on the ground near them, but not close enough to make them run. Don't wear a hat, don't look at them, and don't say anything. Let them approach you on their terms. Just quietly sit and be as non-threatening as possible.

One by one they will come investigate you after a few minutes. Before long you will have 4 new friends.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
The back one looks to be some cross with a hunting hound. The rest are a Heinz 57 mix. I’d be wiling to bet they would make pretty good yard dogs. I’d try feeding them and re-homing them.

Redbow

If they are hungry and you feed them they will trust you b4 too long. I found one beside the highway in SC years ago when we lived down there he was a walking skeleton. I didn't think he would live he was so run down but food and a few trips to the vet and he made one of the best dogs I have ever had. I still miss ole Spikey.

Jimmypop

Back in the'70's we heard about packs roaming the area regularly. I lost a cow and calf to one and my neighbor did too. There was no animal control in those days.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is likely a litter that has been abandoned. They have not been on their own for very long. They would likely be fairly easy to get if you wanted to help them. Sadly there are way too many of these and it will get worse as times get harder.