Woulda appreciate your thoughts on a .308 AR platform, thinking I might want one.

Buford_Dawg

I really have enjoyed hunting with my TC Compass .308 in recent years and thinking about getting a AR platform in same caliber. I have a S&W Sport II in .223 presently and like to tink around with it, but thought a AR .308 would be neat to have for a hunt or two.

Reactions: Dub

FlipKing

I have a Savage MSR 10 in 308. I've also had DPMS Huntee G2, and Savage MSR Long Range in the past. If you get one that's sub 8lbs and 20inch barrel it'll do what everything you want. My MSR has a great trigger and adjustable gas block. I'm happy with it.

Mars

I put one together with PSA parts 10ish years ago and it some reliability issues in the beginning. The ejector spring broke and it was way over gassed but I replaced the spring and got an adjustable gas block and its been good ever since. Mine does have a 16'' heavy profile stainless barrel and I would not do that again. Its got some heft to it and especially with a silencer on the end of it.

All that said, I think they are a great option and lots of fun with the right setup.

Gator89

I have a PSA 10 stainless 18 inch barrel. the barrel is not a heavy profile per say, but it takes more steel to accommodate a 30 cal bullet vs a 22. My rifle shoots good, just heavy to tote, good gun for short walks to sit in a stand or blind.

bighonkinjeep

I had the same thoughts years ago and found ARs in .308 to be heavy, bulky and not very ergonomic for hunting. Still a pretty fun range toy, but if i'm going hunting I grab a hunting rifle. ( preferably something light and short.) Last semi auto hunting rifle I bought was a BAR DBM for feral pigs. Much lighter, ergonomic and more conducive to field use than an AR in .308. Just my .02

FlipKing

A long time back I made a decision to standardize my rifle calibers to 308 and my pistol to .45. I have about 3-4 308 ARs. I love them.

I have a few 6.5s and a .270 but I specialize in .308 and 9mm. It's just easier. I've started to standardize my pistols to glocks, mostly glock 19 and clones.

FlipKing

I had the same thoughts years ago and found ARs in .308 to be heavy, bulky and not very ergonomic for hunting. Still a pretty fun range toy, but if i'm going hunting I grab a hunting rifle. ( preferably something light and short.) Last semi auto hunting rifle I bought was a BAR DBM for feral pigs. Much lighter, ergonomic and more conducive to field use than an AR in .308. Just my .02

Gotta look at lighter AR10s. Only a 7oz difference in the DBM and the MSR Hunter. 7lbs 6 Oz to 7lb 13oz.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

All i hunt with is my AR 308s. I love the collapsible stock that's on a couple of them. Make's carrying them around the woods so much easier and if you get plastic handguards on the short barrel ARs they are light.

bighonkinjeep

To each his own but I've found the protrusions on the ARs to get in the way and be a hinderance in the field/real hunting conditions. The grip and mag seem to catch on everything when slung and walking through the woods or trying to get in a stand. The profile is much higher from the grip and magwell to the top of the optic or even the handguard to the optic which has to be in high or extra high mounts to see through it because the AR has no drop at the comb of the stock because of the buffer tube. Found myself having to cant the AR sideways to see out the the shoothouse window even when sitting all the way back and just the handguard was on the rest. Also the round handguard isnt the most stable shape for propping up for a shot. When I tried to get prone the grip and mag was in the dirt. Did I mention most are heavy and bulky? The BAR DBM version with the 16" fluted barrel not the 18" or 20" weighs in at 6#10 oz ( very comparable to most bolt actions) is much more ergonomic for field use, stupid accurate,
and balances, points and operates just like a Browning shotgun. When shouldered my eye is directly lined up with the cross hairs even without using the supplied stock shims to adjust fit. PS. Dont tell Unka Joe or Aunt Nancy but the BAR DBM is also Commiefornia compliant. Everybody has their preferences. For my style the more traditional rifle shape and features have proven to be a much better choice than the modern sporting rifles. The only downside I've found to the Browning so far is that 20 round mags (FNAR 20 round mags) have been discontinued and are very expensive if you can even find them.

Last edited:

Dub

I really have enjoyed hunting with my TC Compass .308 in recent years and thinking about getting a AR platform in same caliber. I have a S&W Sport II in .223 presently and like to tink around with it, but thought a AR .308 would be neat to have for a hunt or two.

I wanted one for use on the range.

I think it will be fun to get fast follow up shots on steel.

No doubt once I am done it will be a range gun that may be interesting to hunt with on specific occasions.

Gonna be hard pressed to reach past a nice trim sporter weight bolt .308 with 2-10x42mm glass atop for a normal hunt.

I wanted a .308 AR-10….and am setting one up…..just for fun. Mostly range fun.

Then Slow Joe and the band of Idjuts convinced me to go ahead and get after any other AR I may ever want.

So….went with an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. It’ll be a bit slimmer & lighter…maybe it’ll hunt some. Mostly want to lob bullets downrange on targets.

A light AR-15 in .300 HAM’R would be fun to hunt with …..

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

My friend has a DPMS rifle, a 308 version of the AR 15, that we have shot on a couple of occasions and I actually borrowed it for an entire week to test it.

I think it's a nice gun, but rather heavy. Not light and easily maneuverable like an AR-15 or M4 type carbine.
This one felt more like an M1 Garand to me.

transfixer

I've considered one myself, but I've shot a friend of mine's a few times, and carried it for short periods in the woods, they're just too heavy for my taste as a woods gun, if I were shooting from a box over a clearcut field maybe,, but most of them outfitted with a scope will go over 10lbs,

I'd suggest go handle a few somewhere, see how they feel in your hands, and then think about what adding a scope will add to the equation

Balrog

I have not shot one, but there are a lot of good reviews of the Savage MSR 10. If I was going to buy one, that is what I would go with.

I have thought about getting one, but can't figure out why I need it. The best reason I can come up with is so I can shoot up a bunch of surplus 7.62 x 51 that I bought in the 90s.

Dub

I have not shot one, but there are a lot of good reviews of the Savage MSR 10. If I was going to buy one, that is what I would go with.

I have thought about getting one, but can't figure out why I need it. The best reason I can come up with is so I can shoot up a bunch of surplus 7.62 x 51 that I bought in the 90s.

An M1A would be fun for that, too....

menhadenman

I wanted one for use on the range.

I think it will be fun to get fast follow up shots on steel.

No doubt once I am done it will be a range gun that may be interesting to hunt with on specific occasions.

Gonna be hard pressed to reach past a nice trim sporter weight bolt .308 with 2-10x42mm glass atop for a normal hunt.

I wanted a .308 AR-10….and am setting one up…..just for fun. Mostly range fun.

Then Slow Joe and the band of Idjuts convinced me to go ahead and get after any other AR I may ever want.

So….went with an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel. It’ll be a bit slimmer & lighter…maybe it’ll hunt some. Mostly want to lob bullets downrange on targets.

A light AR-15 in .300 HAM’R would be fun to hunt with …..
Just got a new barrel for one of my Grendel Dub, will have to share some reloading thoughts soon. Hope to get my new Faxon rolling after I get off the highway next couple weeks.