Woulda appreciate your thoughts on a .308 AR platform, thinking I might want one.

menhadenman

I've considered one myself, but I've shot a friend of mine's a few times, and carried it for short periods in the woods, they're just too heavy for my taste as a woods gun, if I were shooting from a box over a clearcut field maybe,, but most of them outfitted with a scope will go over 10lbs,

I'd suggest go handle a few somewhere, see how they feel in your hands, and then think about what adding a scope will add to the equation

Good advice here. You can shoot mine if you’re ever up in north GA

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I know my first gen oracle is a heavy pig but my g2 hunter with 20 inch SS barrel is only 4 ounces heavier than a browning hades canyon. And I switched the round glacier handguard on the oracle for a flat magpul one. Thats the great thing about this platform. If you don't like something about your set up, more than likely theres a product out there that will better suit your liking.

transfixer

I know my first gen oracle is a heavy pig but my g2 hunter with 20 inch SS barrel is only 4 ounces heavier than a browning hades canyon. And I switched the round glacier handguard on the oracle for a flat magpul one. Thats the great thing about this platform. If you don't like something about your set up, more than likely theres a product out there that will better suit your liking.

I believe there are a couple barrel companies that make lightweight .308 barrels for AR10's , but the majority of them out there are medium or heavy profile, and I get the reason why, after a few shots a lightweight will heat up and POI will change slightly, but depending on what you are going to use it for, a heavy barrel isn't always necessary.

I mean after all some companies do make what they call "pencil" barrels in 5.56 , but don't think I've seen a pencil profile barrel in .308

SC Hunter

Little brother has an AR10 he put together, he's a machinist by trade and can work on about anything. He mounted a hubble telescope on top of it and that unit is heavy to me. I'm normal size 6' 210 this morning, baby brother is 6'3" about 320 lbs of gorilla and it doesn't bother him a bit.

We've shot that rifle out to 500 and it did fine. We were shooting clay skeet targets at 250 with boring accuracy. He's got a timney in that rifle and spent alot of time and money on it. I wouldn't want to carry it hunting but if it was lighter with a normal scope I'd be interested in doing so.

If nothing else their fun to play with.

buckpasser

Unless .308 is an absolute must have, I’d steer you to an AR15. There are so many capable calibers it’s not even funny, and it’ll be much more enjoyable to carry and hunt with. Not to mention the upgrades and compatible parts selection will be on a more open menu.

I’d look at 6.5 Grendel, .300 BLK, .350 Legend, or maybe even a thumper like .450 Bushmaster. Good luck!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Armalite ar10.

Have had this one a long time.

That's REAL nice!!!
I bought 308 LMT MWS 10ish years ago. It was the cream of the crop. But with all my research and conversations with experts the Armalite was another one of the best there is. They were also very sweet!!!
These are big money Neil but they are also investments. Just like money in the bank, you wont loose if ya don't like it. You'll get everything right back.
I didn't like AR style and sold my LMT for more than I paid for it.
I just like the M1a and the Ruger mini's style better.

jnorton

I've hunted with a Ruger SR762 (308 piston rifle) for six years. love the gun but it is a pain to do a walk around with (12 lbs fully loaded). A few years ago I built a 338 Fed upper for it, which ends up being much lighter. And I've hunted with it a good bit. But after building a 358 Yeti (Wildcat) on an AR15 platform, my AR10's don't get much more than range time. The weight difference is amazing.