You Might Be Getting Old

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Don't forget...drinking out of garden hoses, riding bikes with ball cards in the spokes and no helmet, and Mom calling after you "I don't want to see you till it get's dark!"

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Girls did not cuss in public, kids called their elders, yes and yes sir, your school teacher would spank you, Then you would get another one when you got home. I remember getting put off the school bus for wrassling, and you walked the rest of the way home. I remember when the banks had counter checks, and ones with your name on them were rare. I remember sitting up late at night and hoping Adlai Stevenson would beat Ike. I remember 53 chevies, than did not need a key to start. I remember the time when adults were talking, the kids stayed silent. I remember when the people of this country trusted the dollar bill, and we stood up to our enemies, when you broke the law you went to jail, and we would be in the woods at dark, building our "Fort", and our parents were not worried about us.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I remember almost every bit of that.

Struggling with a Steam Locomotive and a couple others, but that's it.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I remember hunting in boots from Kmart in Carrollton and eating in the restaurant and getting a slush puppie. I remember big wheels and squirrel hunting with dads 410. 1st time I got drunk it was Old Milwaukee 40.
I remember buying a AK47 from Super 10 and playing army. Pine cone battles and being whipped with a hickory, Huffy bicycles and my 1st deer rifle Marlin 30-30. I rember my 1st pair of Liberty Overalls and having my 1st set of numchuks and throwing stars. I remember my Hilary tent and floating down the Chattahoochee River in a 12 foot aluminum boat from Whitesburg to Franklin paddling the whole way camping on side of the river with dad. 1st pack of Culprit Worms and and my first Army field Jacket with matching pants to hunt in and my 1st pair of Rocky Cornstalkers that I wore to high school. Not as old as some but I remember the good old days.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
I don't remember steam locomotives. But I have driven one.

When at Disney World I spent one summer on the trains around the park. Was engineer, fireman and conductor. Only accident I was in at DW was when a security guard drove his station wagon into the front of the locomotive I was engineering. Tore the front off the station wagon. But in the locomotive we couldn't feel a thing. Steam Locomotives do not stop quickly.

Rackmaster

I also remember the 1st time I tried dipping my uncle gave me a can of Skoal Bandits I dipped the whole think in 1 hour I turned Green and you know what happened next in the back of a Volkswagen Bug. I was 10

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
How about the 'WHITE ONLY' signs.

turkeykirk

it'd be real cool if my hardware store had a barrel of k98 mausers

Bought my first deer rifle an 8mm k98 Mauser from a hardware store in 1971 for $25.:biggrin3:

Rackmaster

I had a Sting Ray with a 5hp Briggs on it,,,,man that thing was fast,,,,but try braking,,,,
I cranked mine one day and the throttle hung it shot across the road and hit a Volkswagen and broke the wheel off had to get it welded.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you remember the following.... Hudson, Henry J, Packard, Studebaker or DeSoto automobiles.. Only Studebaker.
when a hot dog was 15 cents .25
A carton of cigarettes was 2 dollars $2.50
Gas was 19.9 cents per gallon .26.9
Stuckies along the main highways yep. Still know where one is still open.
The Goat man, I think he was from Georgia yep.
Montgomery Wards yep.
There were no fast food restaurants nope. There was a Mcdonalds and kfc in town when I was a kid.
Most farmers had no TV or telephones yep. Or indoor plumbing.
When hardware stores sold military surplus rifles, they usually kept them in wood barrels yep
When a man could buy dynamite on his signature at hardware stores yep
Penny candy yep
When getting in the movies was only 25 cents probably a buck
Drive in movies yep. Ours only closed a few years ago
When Doctor's made house calls nope
Steam Locomotives nope
When a Carnival came to town every year yep. Still does
When farmers still worked the fields with Mules yep. Some still do here
Soft drinks were 5 cents each, so were candy bars yep
When tobacco was still cured by wood not here. We grew burly. You cut the whole stalk, spud them on baccer sticks, and hang them in the barn to air cure
When polio shots were given at school I remember them giving us the oral vaccine
When the duck and cover alerts were practiced in schools yep
Cars still had running boardsnot new ones at the time
When Groucho Marx, Arthur Godfrey, Gary Moore, and Ed Sullivan all had TV shows sullivan
When women cooked on wood fired stoves yep
When the milkman delivered fresh milk every morning to your front door we had a milk cow
When drug stores sold candy cigarettes yep

I could go on and on with this...add a few of yours if you are old, I surely am...