Zone 3 gators

crocket1

Anybody ever hunted the flint river below lake blackshear dam. Just wondering about boat ramps on river and are there a few gators in the river? This weekend was our first time in zone 3 and first time on blackshear. We were just wondering about down stream. We struggled a little. Not to say we are giving up on the lake but we wanted other options. My 13 yo has a tag and my buddy's son has one as well. Just trying to get these boys a gator. We live in ne ga and are not able to do a lot of scouting so any info you guys could share will help. Thanks.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Zone three is tough, did you spend much time around the dam?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Check out lake cheehaw also.

crocket1

Not a lot of time near dam but thought about trying that if we went back. Spent a lot of time on north end of lake. Thought about lake chehaw as well.

Dep6

Stay away from the Highway 32 boat ramp between Blackshear and Chehaw. They party there quite a bit, I wouldn't park a vehicle there without someone staying with it.

stump1966

Zone 3

The north end seems has the most gators but also has the most hunters. We hooked into an 8 footer Friday night but lost him in a tree pile. Hunted the north end for awhile Saturday evening but left when the crowds started coming in and went back to more secluded places. I'm busy the next two weekends but will be going some during the weeknights but no weekends until after Labor Day. Send me your contact info on P.M. and we will get together.

hortonhunter22

id say check chehaw as well....also the gators are gonna get light shy pretty quick...don't be afraid to try them during the day...if you hooking them with the fishing pole it almost works better in the daylight...just never go straight at the gator...go at an angle in the direction they are heading and when ya get within castin distance give it a try...I didn't care for doing it in the dark..Seminole gators are just super spooky in the open water...but you can get a hook in em in the daylight in open water when they think you are just a fisherman..which they are used too

CruisinGA

Stay away from the Highway 32 boat ramp between Blackshear and Chehaw. They party there quite a bit, I wouldn't park a vehicle there without someone staying with it.

Old thread resurrection...

Is there another ramp besides the Hwy 32 one between Chehaw and Blackshear dam?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Old thread resurrection...

Is there another ramp besides the Hwy 32 one between Chehaw and Blackshear dam?

Forget the 32 ramp, unless you have a small boat that you can drag over rocks. Unless you know a landowner with a private ramp, you`ll have to use either the Cleve Cox ramp or the Cromartie Beach ramp in town. With any reasonable size boat you`ll be able to put in at either ramp and fish Lake Chehaw and the river up to Abram`s Shoals, with the water at the level it is now. There a few gators up the Kinchafoonee and Muckalee Creeks but you`ll have better luck up the river and on the lake. It is worth a look to ease up the Kinch as far as the HWY 19 bridge, at night.

During the week you can hunt day or night through this stretch, but on the weekend during the day there`s gonna be too many pleasure boaters, skiers, and jet skis to even be in the area.

Good luck to you.

GDAWG84

Hunted lake worth(chehaw) this weekend. Started out on the kinch at the 19 bridge like Nice recommended and worked all the north end of the lake to the mouth of the muckalee and back to Cox landing. By far the worst I've seen up there, we didn't find anything over 6' and all were extremely spooky.