Not What You Want To Find Shed Hunting

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
You're right about the circle of life elfiii! :cool::cool:
There was another older, smaller racked buck that use to bully this buck to no end and one of our members killed him last year so I'm thinking there is plenty of room for a new buck or three to move in and take up residence, I'm really curious how having both of these older bucks gone will change our herd dynamics this season.

Nic, I noticed what looked like the last rib on one side was possibly chewed a little on the end but honestly didn't look hard for chewing. There was a little trash around the carcass but it was in a creek bottom that floods so I just chalked it up to that. Are you thinking bobcat maybe, we do see a lot of them.

The description I mentioned in my post would have been the results of a panther kill.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The description I mentioned in my post would have been the results of a panther kill.

That's why I said Mountain Lion.. I didn't want the elusive Black Panther brought into it.. You're talking Florida Panther..:D

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
David,

First, I like the fact that you named this buck. I know that you are like me to a certain degree as I have named several bucks and does over the past 7 years now with appropriate names. It just adds more character to them and makes you feel really good and also puts a smile on your face to see them moving about in the woods.

I feel really bad just like others here as that buck was a really nice one that had a thick and heavy rack with some decent character of sorts too.

I was curious if you found his jawbone with teeth attached as I did not see it in your photo. I know that I would be sick if I saw one such as this dead for unknown reasons at this point.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Dust a shame, I was sure wanting to see u or Cindy setting behind him with a big ol smile ( preferably Cindy lol ) , what’s the hardest is not knowing why a beautiful seemingly healthy deer just falls over dead , but I guess it happens with all things that live , at least u found him and don’t have to wonder in a few months where he went

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That's why I said Mountain Lion.. I didn't want the elusive Black Panther brought into it.. You're talking Florida Panther..:D

Yep. Good many south of the Caloosahatchee. But they`re expanding their range nicely.

Browning Slayer

Yep. Good many south of the Caloosahatchee. But they`re expanding their range nicely.

I hope they come up here! I'll be happy to reduce my pig problem! I would love to see one in the wild in person.

I've never researched it, but have they been known to be a predator of Coyotes?

We had mountain lions all over Utah. I was never lucky enough to see one. They would come in the valley but like black bears up here, they were always young males looking for "new" territory.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I hope they come up here! I'll be happy to reduce my pig problem! I would love to see one in the wild in person.

I've never researched it, but have they been known to be a predator of Coyotes?

All larger predators kill their competition every chance they get.

Those that came up here during the Florida experiment ate more armadillos than anything else, it seems.

I`ve seen two, one in the mid 70s in Putnam County Florida, and what was probably T43 in Baker County Georgia when they were tracking him to see just where he was going on his excursion up here.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Nice buck. F8 is a technical name. Made me feel guilty about naming Fat Freddie. His hips pointed out because of his belly in Oct.

Browning Slayer

All larger predators kill their competition every chance they get.

Those that came up here during the Florida experiment ate more armadillos than anything else, it seems.

I`ve seen two, one in the mid 70s in Putnam County Florida, and what was probably T43 in Baker County Georgia when they were tracking him to see just where he was going on his excursion up here.

Hmmm.. Good info..

I know they'll kill another predator any chance they get. What I don't know is if they get lazy like other predators. I'm assuming so. What you are saying seems like I think. I know the Florida Panthers thrive on wild hogs more than they will focus on deer certain times of the year. I also wonder how or if, they ever make a "known" presence up in North GA, how they will do with bears, considering our population of blacks.. Big Cats have always intrigued me.. They are the true definition of a predator. I'm not a cat person but just watching them do "their" thing has always amazed me. I trap and kill a lot of critters. I look at a coyote as a smart animal but a big cat is a planner.. Methodical in thinking..

I wish they would cover the US like they did before.

Trapping wise, I would rather deal with a yote than a ticked off cat..

You're a lucky man! I hope to see one in the wild before I die!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I know they'll kill another predator any chance they get. What I don't know is if they get lazy like other predators. I'm assuming so. I know the Florida Panthers thrive on wild hogs more than they will focus on deer certain times of the year. I also wonder how or if, they ever make a "known" presence up in North GA, how they will do with bears, considering our population of blacks.. Big Cats have always intrigued me.. They are the true definition of a predator. I'm not a cat person but just watching them do "their" thing has always amazed me. I trap and kill a lot of critters. I look at a coyote as a smart animal but a big cat is a planner.. Methodical in thinking..

Trapping wise, I would rather deal with a yote than a ticked off cat..

You're a lucky man! I hope to see one in the wild before I die!

Those in Florida are exposed to bears a lot. Probably on a daily basis since Florida is full of bears. It`ll be interesting to see if and when any more make it up here. It`s something to look forward to with interest.

On the subject of David`s dead buck, any panther kill (and bobcat) will be covered or partially covered. Canines don`t cover kills.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

I don't. Between the yotes and bobcats the predation on turkeys and deer is adequate just like it is.

Browning Slayer

On the subject of David`s dead buck, any panther kill (and bobcat) will be covered or partially covered. Canines don`t cover kills.

And in his case, look about 4 feet or so from the carcass and look for another small, shallow grave where they would bury the stomach.. Cats feed for a few days on their kill and remove the stomach so the meat won't go bad due to stomach content. Yotes generally feed starting at the hind qtrs and work their way up or just jump right into the stomach.

Awesome info here in this thread!!!

Browning Slayer

It`ll be interesting to see if and when any more make it up here. It`s something to look forward to with interest.

I agree. I would love to see it happen!!!:cool::cool:

I don't care what Lee thinks.. He's already said he hates my liberty and freedom today... So, I hate his!:rofl:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Can a large pack of yotes devour an entire deer in 12 hours or drag all parts a long way? I ask because my big doe disappeared overnight with only thousands of hair and blood to be found the next morning. One heck of a ruckus that night and I was surprised not to find any bones, hide or meat after searching for sign of it all week. Another mystery of mine.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Can a large pack of yotes devour an entire deer in 12 hours or drag all parts a long way? I ask because my big doe disappeared overnight with only thousands of hair and blood to be found the next morning. One heck of a ruckus that night and I was surprised not to find any bones, hide or meat after searching for sign of it all week. Another mystery of mine.

Yes, sir! I've seen it happen. A friend shot a nice buck late one evening and couldn't find him. He had to work the next morning and could not be there, so I went to look for him. I was there waiting at daylight to begin looking, as I wanted to hunt later that day. After an hour or so, I found his deer and the little that was left of him. All that was left was his head, backbone, and partially chewed ribbed cages. The hide was even gone. It looked like someone had taken a saw and sawed across the bone that was left. The ground was destroyed all around the deer too. It was pretty disturbing actually. They had tore that deer up in less than 24 hours. That was the first time I had seen such a thing and will never forget that.

tree cutter 08

Must not have many yotes down your way. I've never found a pile of bones like that anywhere of anything. I've went back a week after I've boned out a deer in the woods many times and not a bone left anywhere.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Must not have many yotes down your way. I've never found a pile of bones like that anywhere of anything. I've went back a week after I've boned out a deer in the woods many times and not a bone left anywhere.

Me? We're absolutely overloaded with them here. And no, there wasn't much left to the deer I found. They would have gotten the rest, I am sure. But I reckon I found him before that could happen. But to do what they did to him in less than 24 hours, was crazy. They hit our gut pile too and clean it up. Those bones are all cut in the gut piles, which makes it easier for most any type of animal to carry them off. Even buzzards will carry them off.

davidhelmly

David,

First, I like the fact that you named this buck. I know that you are like me to a certain degree as I have named several bucks and does over the past 7 years now with appropriate names. It just adds more character to them and makes you feel really good and also puts a smile on your face to see them moving about in the woods.

I feel really bad just like others here as that buck was a really nice one that had a thick and heavy rack with some decent character of sorts too.

I was curious if you found his jawbone with teeth attached as I did not see it in your photo. I know that I would be sick if I saw one such as this dead for unknown reasons at this point.

Thanks EE, I did find and keep both sides of his lower jaw.

Dust a shame, I was sure wanting to see u or Cindy setting behind him with a big ol smile ( preferably Cindy lol ) , what’s the hardest is not knowing why a beautiful seemingly healthy deer just falls over dead , but I guess it happens with all things that live , at least u found him and don’t have to wonder in a few months where he went

I would loved to have seen her sitting behind him too!! :cheers:

davidhelmly

We've got quite a few yotes, that's why I was so surprised that the skeleton was still all in one place. We had a member shoot a doe opening day a few years back and by the time we got to her about 90 minutes later the yotes had completely stripped the side of her that was up, nothing but bones showing.