SPIDERS !!

4x4Taco

I really love deer hunting and look forward to it every year. Like a little kid at Christmas time. It starts with a Dove shoot and then archery season but early season scouting can sometimes be a nightmare. For me anyway. I hate SPIDERS but they are everywhere this time of the year. Snakes are no problem I will catch them check them out and let it go. A spider the size of a dime or bigger freaks me out. You all have done this. Walking to your stand just before daylight trying to be very quiet with no flashlight and it happens. This big web just wrapped itself around half your body. At this point your subconscious mind takes over and all you can think of is " IT " is on me somewhere and must get off. The flashlight comes on and clothes come off till you find the thing that built that intricate trap of a web. I know they cant hurt me but they still freak me out. Sadly I walked in Saturday morning waving a long stick in front of me trying to keep this from happening. AGAIN LOL

Bubba_1122

Yep. Long stick is your friend.

Fed Ex man just delivered a package to my house. Looked terrified. Said there was a snake in my driveway out towards the road. I said yep - that's my pet oak snake.

I asked him if he wanted to pet him (and I started walking down the steps headed out there). :cool::D

Last I saw the Fed Ex van was traveling very fast up the hill out in front of my house. Not real smart on my part, cause I have a feeling now he'll make a note that we have pet snakes (we don't) and then I'll have to pick up packages at the local Fed Ex store).

MikeyD6

Deleted
I've watched their reaction when I hit the web with a stick, they're out of there like a soldier fast roping out of a helicopter. They know full well they caught something too big to eat and they want no part of it. Still, when you get your head wrapped up in a web your subconscious screams OH MY GOD GET IT OFF ME!!!

Shane Dockery

And they only build those webs 5'9" or more off the ground. Perfect for face hits on just about everyone!:eek:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
That's why I walk to my stand holding my bow out in front of me with the riser and top limb about face high most of the time. Anywhere else on my body and the Permethrin on my clothes is going to convince that spider to git quick.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I was walking in the dark one morning with my bow in front my face years ago and hit a big wed that got all over my bow and me..thought I had cleaned it all off so I proceeded with bow in same position. Bout that time that joker ran up my sleeve..I came unglued..threw my brand new Mathews and went to dancing. Fight or flight and I was flight that morning.

Wayne D Davis

If you saw me walk into a web you'd sware I just lost my mind. I've observed them up close and I know I don't want anything with 8 legs and fangs crawling on me. The web just makes you aware they are close.... to close

4x4Taco

A few years ago I walked through a web and thought I got lucky and no one was home in that one. An hour later I am 40 feet up in my climber and focusing on any deer movement when something got my attention at the bill of my hat. I saw legs coming over the bill of my hat and then this big joker coming toward my face. That hat spent the rest of the morning at the bottom of the tree. Almost dropped my bow. LOL

ryanh487

A few years ago I walked through a web and thought I got lucky and no one was home in that one. An hour later I am 40 feet up in my climber and focusing on any deer movement when something got my attention at the bill of my hat. I saw legs coming over the bill of my hat and then this big joker coming toward my face. That hat spent the rest of the morning at the bottom of the tree. Almost dropped my bow. LOL

Had that happen one morning but it was crawling up my chest. Right at first light I caught motion and looked down to see one inches away from my collar. Almost forgot I was up a tree.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Pfffffft. Better not hunt down my way. I see birds and squirrels caught in the spider webs down here. :bounce: