Was thinking

ucfireman

So I, as well as most folks on here have walked face first into a big spider web and then done the funky chicken trying to get out of it and not get eaten by the spider.
Has anyone ever seen a deer (or any animal for that matter) walk into a spider web? If so what was the reaction?
Do they freak out or rub their faces or anything?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
After I got past the weebie jeebies you just gave me, I thought about it. Nope, can’t say I’ve ever seen an animal go through one.

Nah me neither I have done plenty of chicken dances walking into them.. I started breaking off small straight sweet gums and picked all the leaves and limbs off except the very end and use it like a wand while I walk.. works pretty good

Hunter922

Always an awakening experience in the dead darkness on the way to a stand with all the archery hear you can carry...?....
Never seen any animal walk thru one, I bet they look alot like us when we do....

spencer12

I had a deer blowing upwind of me once out of nowhere. I had no idea how it smelled me. I picked up the binoculars and checked it out, best I could tell the bugs (gnats and mosquitoes) were buzzing all around it’s nose. It calmly stood there blowing and eating for a few minutes before it stopped. None of the other deer even picked their heads up while she was doing it. How they can tell a “everyone run for your lives” blow and a I have a bug up my nose blow I have no idea but they did.

ucfireman

Nah me neither I have done plenty of chicken dances walking into them.. I started breaking off small straight sweet gums and picked all the leaves and limbs off except the very end and use it like a wand while I walk.. works pretty good
Look like a magician or warlock casting a spell

These new Joro spiders are much worse than the native.
Their webs are definitely strong.

I had a deer blowing upwind of me once out of nowhere. I had no idea how it smelled me. I picked up the binoculars and checked it out, best I could tell the bugs (gnats and mosquitoes) were buzzing all around it’s nose. It calmly stood there blowing and eating for a few minutes before it stopped. None of the other deer even picked their heads up while she was doing it. How they can tell a “everyone run for your lives” blow and a I have a bug up my nose blow I have no idea but they did.

Made me think again. We all laugh at dogs sneezing.
Ever see a deer sneeze?

scottyd917

I am sure that the deer are conditioned to it. Gotta figure that they spend 100% of their time walking through them. We spend a very small percentage of our time in the woods...Seems like to me that it's just another web to them and they continue on to point B. I would also think that the really don't need to worry about a spider biting them through their hide, so they are probably not concerned with a spider being on them...Me on the other hand lol...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don't know about the animals but I lost count of how many of them I walked into last weekend and they were big ones. When you feel those 8 arachnid feet scurrying across your face it'll make you come all the way alive.

rugerfan

Look like a magician or warlock casting a spell

Their webs are definitely strong.

Made me think again. We all laugh at dogs sneezing.
Ever see a deer sneeze?

I have seen a doe sneeze once a few years ago. Sounded just like it was blowing, but I sat and watched it tense up while it sneezed, then it went back to eating.