Your Philosophy of Gun Carry ...

Big7

The Oracle
For years, my thoughts are that you need to carry, and the bigger the bullet, the better. My thoughts may be changing on that a bit. I went last week and bought a G45 9mm. My first 9. I have always carried some style of 1911 .45ACP or a revolver in .357 or .41mag.

My 1911's I carry at 6 oclock in a horizontal position, with the grip pointed up. Revolvers are harder to hide, so mostly I carry them at 3 oclock, in a OWB holster, and really don't worry if someone sees it. I am looking for a good holster for my G45 now.
I'll have to think exactly what I want to post about the topic.

Meantime, Pappy, get in touch with CaptainQuirk(sp) on here. He has made a few customs for me and he does a real good job at a fair price.

So far, he has made a custom molded all leather holster for my Colt Minute Man III, right side OWB. And... A really functional "envelope" type with 3 holes for fastening to a bed post or something like that. That one is a drop in, no restraints. Both work very well EXACTLY per my verbal instructions, not even a sketch.

He also made a custom, monogrammed shoulder strap for a brand new 336 C I bought recently. It's a work of art. Heirloom quality I'm talking about !!!? Hit him up. You won't be dissapointed. I have his cell. PM me your number and I'll get it to him. I don't give out numbers without permission.?

My thought on carry options coming soon.?

TurkeyH90

I hear ya on the shotgun patterning. I don't want any gun that isn't consistent. In this day and age we get to be picky and demand accuracy + reliability with off-the-rack rifles & handguns. Modern manufacturing can yield very impressive results.

I can't imagine RIA making a custom one-off gun for you with that will come with a lifetime warranty and an accuracy guarantee for less than what that EDC X9S will be sold for. Keep in mind the price on the WC is not the price you will pay for it through the higher volume WC dealers, such as George at Michigan Gunslingers or others. Off course, that gun can only be had in 9mm.

10+1 45acp rounds is gonna be weighty all by themselves.

A good gun belt and well-designed holster go a long way toward making them disappear as I'm sure you know. It's amazing how much better the carrying experience is with a decent gun belt. No more "pants on the ground" moments, lol.

Good luck. Interested in hearing how your search goes for that double-stack.

Have you looked into what STI is making these days ? Gone is their prior lineup....and I mean completely gone. Now they seem to be geared towards 2011 style, higher capacity and lighter weight. Their frames seem to be a hybrid mix of polymer and alloy parts.

https://stiguns.com

It's wild how they've revamped their product line.
I will also remind yall to check POA/POI on shotguns. Especially older ones. Ive bought a few over the years that were waaaay off. I do realize its a shotgun but do you want to just graze the target or give it a full load?

delacroix

BANNED
Defensive use must be near reflex. You don't have time to think about which gun it is or where you're carrying it. Having a P938 in your coat pocket won't help when you are reaching for the glock on your belt that it isn't there.

Put a revolver in your pocket and get on with your life.

GunnSmokeer

Railroader, I have to admit that I am lazy and do not carry the best weapon in the best manner to be most effective at either defending myself or protecting innocent people should I happen to be at a shopping mall or other public venue when some jihadist or lunatic goes on a mass shooting spree.

What I "should be carrying" for maximum effectiveness is a medium to full-size pistol that holds 12 to 18 rounds has a long sight radius and high profile high visibility sights with witch I could shoot a goblin center of mass at 50 yards --which is not an unreasonable distance considering the size of the open spaces in churches, shopping malls, parking lots, etc.

What I "actually do carry" is either a tiny 380 semi auto or a 2 inch barrel 38 snubnose, usually in a pocket holster in my pants pocket.

Basically, these are "Get Off Me!" guns intended to be effective at knife fighting and rockthrowing distances, although with the 38 snubby and its laser sight grips, I can keep my shots in the chest of a man size target at 25 yards.

(With the tiny 380 pistol, 15 yds is about my limit to reliably hit a man's chest.)

rosewood

For concealment, I used to carry a NAA 22 mag in my front pocket (the original get off me gun). Always a larger higher capacity in the vehicle to retreat to. Then I evolved to a LCP in the same position. I would sometimes carry something like a P220 on my hip when I had easy cover. In recent years, I have changed a bit. Now our church pretty much allows carry and many of us are encouraged to. I never wore vest before, but have discovered the "traveler's" type vest that make great cover for just about any type of hip carry. Have nicer vest made out of fleece that look more dressy and work well for church. Now I just about always have the 3913 on my hip unless at work which it is forbidden and you can be fired for it. I also have an Alien Gear "Cloak tuck" that allows for concealment under about any shirt for the warmer months at church and just wear the traveler's vest elsewhere. I tried a shield 40 but, it is too light for a 40 and kicks too much for rapid fire. The 3913 is just the ticket and it lays nice and flat and doesn't print and I am dead accurate with it. I also am a fan of metal guns.

I still carry the LCP sometimes, but only when I am going somewhere I can't carry and need to leave it in the vehicle when I arrive.

Over the years, I have bought various guns that I thought would be the perfect carry gun, but I finally think the 3913 is what I will carry for many years to come.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dub brought up a great point-a good belt makes a big difference.

And, if a gun will fit in my pocket, I don't want to trust my life to it. I've had a few of those over the years. If you have to practically touch somebody with it to hit them, you might as well be unarmed except for the intimidation factor of gunshots.

Geno67

My P938 is 9mm, holds 8 and shoots into an inch at 25 yards. My wife's pocket pistol (p290rs) is 9mm, holds 9 and shoots into 1.25 inch. Both have over sized night sights. Wondrous times we live in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

rosewood

Dub brought up a great point-a good belt makes a big difference.

And, if a gun will fit in my pocket, I don't want to trust my life to it. I've had a few of those over the years. If you have to practically touch somebody with it to hit them, you might as well be unarmed except for the intimidation factor of gunshots.

I was surprised, the other day, I setup the steel popper at 15 yards, guess it is about 6" wide at the widest and was easily popping it with the LCP. I don't feel like it isn't sufficient for self defense myself. It isn't my first choice, but I can't git an Ar15 in my pocket either.

Rosewood

TomC

I've gone the smaller route (ie Shields, P365 type) but I always end up back in the Glock 19/23 camp. Normally IWB in a Cooks kydex but need to figure out an OWB solution as I'm putting on weight with age :(

I had a neighbor for many years that was VERY VERY high up in one of this nation's most elite military units. He told me one time the ONLY gun he would trust his life to anywhere in the world under any circumstances was a Glock 19. That statement left a lasting impression on me and if you knew this fellas background it would on you as well.

TurkeyH90

I've gone the smaller route (ie Shields, P365 type) but I always end up back in the Glock 19/23 camp. Normally IWB in a Cooks kydex but need to figure out an OWB solution as I'm putting on weight with age :(

I had a neighbor for many years that was VERY VERY high up in one of this nation's most elite military units. He told me one time the ONLY gun he would trust his life to anywhere in the world under any circumstances was a Glock 19. That statement left a lasting impression on me and if you knew this fellas background it would on you as well.
I have an MTAC paddle that is fairly cheap that carries OWB well.

sbroadwell

I’ve always operated on the theory that something is better than nothing. Even a .22 derringer would be better than looking around for a rock!

With that in mind, I’m perfectly happy with the LC9 in my pocket. Sure, it would be much better to always have a shotgun, but that just can’t happen most places. 9mm is about as light as I would go these days. Years ago I was all set to get a little Keltec .380 then Ruger came out with the LC9, almost as small as the .380.

Just because a gun is little doesn’t mean it’s not accurate. Sure, you have a sort sight radius, but that can be overcome. As can a bad trigger, like on the LC9. If I can ever start traveling again, and rack up more hotel points, I do intend to use them to upgrade to a Sig P365. It’s a bit bigger, but more capacity and a lot better trigger.

transfixer

A Glock 19 is probably the most dependable pistol in current times, no extra levers or buttons to get pushed at the wrong time, or get jammed up, simple, reliable, accurate for its purposes, does it fit everyones hands ? No,, does it point instinctively ? No, Does it have bulletproof durable sights ? No,,, but it works, everytime , its basically idiot proof for the most part, especially for people that aren't very familiar with firearms, funny thing is its also generally the choice of those very familiar with firearms, not because its pretty, or the best at what it does, but simply because it works, each and every time. and 9mm ammo can be found in virtually every country in the world, and everywhere in the US,

I still have a G23 that I willing likely never get rid of, just a more powerful version of the G19, is it my favorite pistol ? No,, my current favorite is a CZ p10s , it has everything a Glock should have,, whether it turns out to be as bullet proof or dependable is yet to be seen, but my G23 now sits in nightstand, and the CZ goes with me when situations allow.

transfixer

Not only does a good belt make a difference, and I'm not talking about anything you can buy at Walmart or any other regular clothing store, but a belt designed as a gun belt, usually a multiple layer stiff belt, that won't roll or sag under the weight of a pistol, a good holster is just as important , anything Walmart or most sporting goods stores carries is not what I consider a good holster, not for concealed carry anyway, good concealed carry holsters are not cheap, and shouldn't be, they should be as comfortable as possible, hold the pistol as secure as possible, and be easy to draw from, if you ever try a good well made IWB holster made from leather or horsehide by one of the reputable holster makers you'll never want a cheap IWB again. The popularity of kydex holsters has been driven by the fact they can be made by virtually anyone, and the components involved are cheap, making the profit margin much higher on them than on well made leather holsters, Good leather holsters require skill and craftsmanship, Kydex holsters can be made in your kitchen.

TomC

Not all kydex holsters are created the same in terms of comfort, retention and design. I’ve been through more holsters that you can fathom and my favorite by a country mile are Cooks kydex IWB which is a Georgia company. You can pay a few extra bucks and order a slightly thinner kydex which I always do for my guns. They used to be direct order only but over the past few years are starting to show up in more and more stores.

I do agree that the most commonly recommended kydex holsters, the ones SO MANY people recommend and that are in most stores and even a lot of the higher priced supposedly really good ones are junk and probably could have been made the kitchen sink!

I'm done with Rugers until they improve the finish. Better keep it real clean or on your nightstand out of the elements or rust and lots of it is certain to follow!

Last edited:

transfixer

Not all kydex holsters are created the same in terms of comfort, retention and design. I’ve been through more holsters that you can fathom and my favorite by a country mile are Cooks kydex IWB which is a Georgia company. You can pay a few extra bucks and order a slightly thinner kydex which I always do for my guns. They used to be direct order only but over the past few years are starting to show up in more and more stores.

I do agree that the most commonly recommended kydex holsters, the ones SO MANY people recommend and that are in most stores and even a lot of the higher priced supposedly really good ones are junk and probably could have been made the kitchen sink!

I'm done with Rugers until they improve the finish. Better keep it real clean or on your nightstand out of the elements or rust rust and lots of it is certain to follow!

Over the years I've tried various kydex holsters, aliengear, stealthgear, fox, and others, always end up getting rid of them, the only one I could tolerate was made by Raven concealment, a Morrigan for a G43, good design that used two flexible straps for attaching to belt, I ultimately got rid of the 43 and the holster, I did buy one for a family member who is plainclothes LE, and he loved it, until he got issues a different weapon and no longer uses it. I've always gone back to leather, even though they cost more than the kydex versions, to me they are worth it.

TomC

Transfixer, you are lucky and must not suffer from GAS which is a multiple disorder (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome / Gun Acquisition Syndrome). If I ever find a cure I’ll probably break down and order a high end custom leather holster but until then the Cooks kydex (probably have to special order the thinner version) at $65 ish per pop will have to suffice which thank goodness I REALLY do like!

transfixer

I don't have the Guitar syndrome, but definitely have the Gun Acquisition one,,, lol,,, I'm forcing myself not to order more AR parts at the moment, trying to conserve my bank account in case my work slows way down, actually the holsters I'm speaking of usually only run around $100 to $150, and not really custom, just generally handmade , or at least mostly handmade.

transfixer

Most of mine have come from Andrews custom leather, just from his traditional leather line, mainly the McDaniel II models, basically the same as a Milt Sparks summertime special I believe, there are other reputable companies that make that style also, I've just found that Andrews takes pride in his work, and his holsters last a very long time, I've had one for better than 25yrs, and still use it constantly.