Your Philosophy of Gun Carry ...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm going to describe my carrying lineup, as it has evolved, since I went "daily carry" a few years back. I carried Glocks for a decade, trust them, shoot them as well as any other, and would not hesitate to bet my life on one. In fact, if I ever KNOW AHEAD OF TIME that I am headed for trouble, my sidearm will be a Glock 21 and three spare mags. No question.

But I don't carry a Glock any more.

In my routine, it is important to me to carry guns that I LIKE to carry. This makes it easier to stay committed to strapping up every day. It also encourages practice, maintenance, and upkeep, if you like and have some appreciation for what you are totin'.

Now, I am a gun guy. Guns are a hobby, and I spend a bunch of time with them. Since birth.

For folks that aren't gun freaks, it's best to carry one gun that suits you, and one that you will shoot regularly, the same way, every day.

But for me, carrying is a daily participation in one of my favorite hobbies, so I have three that have made the cut and get carried often.

Screenshot_20200324-190616.png

The Rock Island 1911, 45 of course 1791 Leather Paddle.

Why? Because you are supposed to.

The J Frame SW 340 MP, 357, Don Hume JIT.

It goes out to dinner or to a movie very well, and it's a classic carry piece.

The Sig 365. Plasitc Focus Paddle.

Because I have come to believe it's the hands down BEST every day carry gun on the planet.

Spare mag or speed loader rides with the mini infidel in the little pocket pouch. Keeps em riding upright at all times.

These are just my favorites, but they would serve anyone well.

Jethro Bodean

If I leave my house, a gun is on my hip, under my shirt. Always. Without fail.

Fortunately, I never have to go to any schools. The only time I disarm, and leave it in a lockbox cabled to my vehicle seat frame, is when I go somewhere like a courthouse, such as to renew my GWL.

95% of the time, it is a Glock 30S (.45ACP).

If I am going somewhere that I feel is a safe area and I would rather not take a chance of someone noticing me printing, if I am mountain biking, or I will be carrying for many, many hours, then I strap on my Glock 36 (also .45ACP). It is a little thinner and 4 oz lighter than the 30S.

If I am going somewhere where it is crucial that nobody notice me printing, then I strap on my Glock 43. 9mm is the minimal round I will ever carry. I do not have enough faith in anything less.

If I am going into the woods where there may be bear or hogs, I strap on my Glock 29 (10mm).

In other words, I am very, very, very rarely ever unarmed, and then, only because I risk going to jail because of it. For the exact same reasons that I always wear a seatbelt, always wear a helmet on a 2-wheel machine, and always carry health insurance.

With this Corona shindig mess going on, and even liberals buying up guns like crazy, I have started always carrying a spare mag on my belt.

Reactions: Dub

sleepr71

The 365 is starting to grow on me as well. Great night sights,good trigger,perfect size with the 12rd mags. Just need to find a holster that works IWB. My p238 is also another fine choice ??

snuffy

Sleepr try this holster. Easy on and off. I have nice leather holsters but this is the one I use everyday. Even with shorts.
Also try the Hogue grip sleeve on that Sig.
In fact I have one I will give you. I bought two one for me and one for my son. He didn't like it. I love mine.

Amazon Prime $40.00
c y a holster sig p365

It is a C Y A holster. Don't know why it came thru as stars.

*edited by nchillbilly to fix auto censor-those intitials are in the auto censor because it's an acronym for covering a part of your anatomy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

rosewood

If I leave my house, a gun is on my hip, under my shirt. Always. Without fail.

Fortunately, I never have to go to any schools. The only time I disarm, and leave it in a lockbox cabled to my vehicle seat frame, is when I go somewhere like a courthouse, such as to renew my GWL.

In other words, I am very, very, very rarely ever unarmed, and then, only because I risk going to jail because of it. For the exact same reasons that I always wear a seatbelt, always wear a helmet on a 2-wheel machine, and always carry health insurance.

With this Corona shindig mess going on, and even liberals buying up guns like crazy, I have started always carrying a spare mag on my belt.

Nothing wrong with spreading the wealth, all of you toters need attention :)

I always carry a spare mag in my pocket for whatever I am toting at the time.

rosewood

snuffy

C Y A

Don't know why it is coming thru like that.

rosewood

Guess CYB would work then?

oppthepop

I work and then I hang out with the family at home.

Daily errands and periodic interstate trips to see family two states away. Pretty much a homebody and loving that lifestyle.

Live in what I considered as safe community, yet I see more and more concerning crime reports....break ins, armed robbery, rape and such.....stuff is hitting too close for comfort. Some of the characters that pull up at the gas pumps or other random places....

I carry concealed for the purposes of my family & my own protection.

I don't make waves and don't draw attention. Just living my life and minding my business.

I've had three friends, all low key & easygoing....robbed at gunpoint while leaving a work function at a local restaurant and standing at their cars talking. Out of nowhere it happened. They each said the two robbers were both clearly hopped up on some type of drug. It got very dicey, because the robbers were insisting they'd not handed over all their valuables...getting more wild acting. Ultimately my friends were physically unharmed.

Another friend went home from night shift. Was comfortably sleeping in the middle of the day and woke up to masked people in his house taking electronics and whatever else.

I stopped what appeared to be an attempted break-in at my own home at 3:45am a few years back.

Years ago I found myself right in the middle of a more serious event that forever changed my opinions on ccw. Same event also changed my parents thoughts on the matter.

Sister and her husband also had a scary event that changed their feelings about ccw. Now....the whole family carries.

People are nuts these days. Too many young punks that have altered their brain chemistry forever through the use of whatever it is they've smoked that was made from household chemicals and other drugs mixes in. They don't have the full register of thoughts and rational emotions. They are forevermore altered...and in a bad way.

I want to be left alone. I don't care if someone gets mouthy and talks, shouts whatever.

If my life or my family's lives are threatened then I want to be able to stop that threat. Life is too precious. I have too many people depending on me to come home safely and take care of them. It would be irresponsible for me not to have the means and skill to protect them. I don't count on the government to pay my bills and I don't count on some 3rd party to provide our protection 24/7 wherever we may be when trouble is forced on us.

I have nerve damage from spine surgery and some worn out joints that make hand-to-hand an uncertain option that is not like the Toby Keith song..."As good as I once was".

I simply want to work and provide for my family and take care of their needs and be left alone.

My carry weapons are concealed and I'm comfortable with wearing them. No "tactical" vest worn that is a give-away and, in my opinion, draws unwanted attention.
Better words could not have been said. I am in the same boat as you my friend.

oppthepop

Glock 42. IWB. left side since I am a hopeless lefty. Mag release converted to lefty. Extra mag on right side on belt. pretty much 24x7. If I feel I need more, Glock 29 in 10mm POWERHOUSE - located in same position. Pray to God i never have to pull either one.

Jethro Bodean

Also, in my house, I am never more than 20' away from a gun. One of my Glocks is stored, out of view, within 3' of my front door. Another, out of view, within 3' of where I always sit in the living room. My daily carry is always on my nightstand. Another Glock is in a plastic ammo box on top of my toolbox in my basement. And then there are my AR and 336, next to my dresser in the bedroom. And my .22 rifle in the bedroom closet. If I hear something coming, hear my 4 dogs go ballistic, or hear my door being crashed in, I can always get to a gun real quick. All of them are loaded, but the rifles aren't chambered. All of my pistols are always loaded and chambered, unless I am cleaning or working on them. And don't get me started on the spare magazines in my vehicle gloveboxes, and scattered around my house, near my guns.

I feel pretty prepared for unexpected emergencies that might require me defending me, my family, or my house.

delacroix

BANNED
I've gone the smaller route (ie Shields, P365 type) but I always end up back in the Glock 19/23 camp. Normally IWB in a Cooks kydex but need to figure out an OWB solution as I'm putting on weight with age :(

I had a neighbor for many years that was VERY VERY high up in one of this nation's most elite military units. He told me one time the ONLY gun he would trust his life to anywhere in the world under any circumstances was a Glock 19. That statement left a lasting impression on me and if you knew this fellas background it would on you as well.

The difference between him and you is he gets to draw his Glock out free and clear ahead of time. Yours will be holstered and drawn out through clothing after the threat presents itself.

Waddams

When I leave home, I have either a Ruger SR9c in a kydex IWB that sits between 3-4 oclock, or a Ruger LCP (380) in a pocket holster in my front right pocket, or in a jacket handpocket. It doesn't go in a jacket inside pocket, too hard to draw in a hurry if needed.

Which one depends on what I'm wearing. If I have on gym shorts and no belt, it's the LCP. If I have on jeans/shorts/slacks with a belt, it's the SR9C. The SR9c has a 10- or 17- round magazine, which one depends on my shirt and how well it conceals. Or used to. Lately I've always been carrying the 17- as people don't look up from the phones to even notice if they're walking in traffic or not, much less to notice if you have a bulge from a pistol under your shirt, so I don't worry about a little printing anymore.

I don't leave a long gun in my truck. I've thought about one behind the rear seat bench, but also don't want to risk losing it to theft in a break-in.

I'm always armed, if I have to go in a building like a court house where I can't carry, it gets locked in the glove box.

LittleDrummerBoy

Dress around the gun.

Dub

Dress around the gun.

I used to think this was impossible when wearing drawstring gym pants when doing yard work, walking dogs, etc.

My sister, the most unlikely of sources, said she uses a couple of sports band holsters....not sure the type, but it had me interested recently.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/...html?nosto=frontpage-nosto-1-fallback-nosto-2

Looks like Crossbreed Holsters has a some that will empty my pockets and utilize an actual holster.

I may give one of these a try and see how it goes. Sure would be more desirable than pocket holster use....for me, at least.

EDIT: Jumbled typing on prior post

Last edited:

Jethro Bodean

I used to think this was impossible when wearing drawstring gym pants when doing yard work, walking dogs, etc.

My sister, the most unlikely of sources, said she uses a couple of sports band holsters....not sure the type, but it had me interested recently.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/...html?nosto=frontpage-nosto-1-fallback-nosto-2

Looks like Crossbreed Holsters has a some that empty the use of an actual holster.

I may give one of these a try and see how it goes. Sure would be more desirable than pocket holster use....for me, at least.

Another option for carry without needing a belt, are Smartcarry or Thunderwear holsters. They work quite well, and allow really discreet carry.

rosewood

Baroque Brass

My carrying has been sporadic but a little while back I decided my LCP II should be with me when I leave the house. I tried IWB but it’s just not comfortable. I use a sticky holster in my front right pocket. I’ve had to change my habit of dropping my keys in that same pocket. I’ve always had the opinion that open carry might invite a challenge. I also think someone could take the weapon from behind. I prefer to be the only person aware that I’m carrying.

I considered getting a Sig P365 but the weight difference made me stay with the Ruger. My progressive noassatall disease makes it hard enough to keep my pants up as it is!

rosewood

I use a sticky holster in my front right pocket. I’ve had to change my habit of dropping my keys in that same pocket. I’ve always had the opinion that open carry might invite a challenge. !

That is too funny, I too use a sticky holster in my right front pocket and have to move my car keys to my left pocket when carrying it there.

Rosewood