Ocmulgee WMA camping???

Thetrooper

Hey guys I'm going down to ocmulgee wma in February for hog. Does anyone know if there is a campground on the wma? I cant seem to find anything on the website. I saw a campground at oaky woods but would like to be on the east side of the river thanks

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Yes ocmulgee has a campground , I’ve stayed at the one near the check station several times , also camped at the boat landing when hunting from boat !85087DE4-BA95-4897-9C8B-8CF7F554BC30.jpeg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I haven’t hunted it in several years but killed several hogs north of the power line near the river . But that was during archery season

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Behind the seed orchard is one of the best places to kill a hog on Ocmulgee. Better have 4wd as it can be a tad rough to ge back there.

chrislibby88

Anyone know if the gate at the railroad tracks is open?
Depends on the water level. They try to close it when the river is up or rising. Folks have went down there on a rising river and got their trucks flooded out. You may be able to call the check station and ask.

ken613

Thanks
It can get exciting down there when the water is coming up. LOL. We are heading down in a couple of weeks and was just wondering what it is currently like.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Thanks
It can get exciting down there when the water is coming up. LOL. We are heading down in a couple of weeks and was just wondering what it is currently like.
Problem is what it is like now will change by tomorrow and definitely be different in a couple of weeks

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Completely agree.
Actually have a friend that got caught up in the rising water at oak woods on down deep road. He said it came up real quick. From the time he noticed it a hundred or so yards away coming towards him till he climbed down and got to his truck. Which was parked about 200 yards in the opposite direction, the water had made it to his truck that quickly

twincedargap

what's safest way in w/a camper? I went one time only in my truck, in from Westlake road I think and it was 4x4 most of the way. I can't imagine w/a camper.

Rich Kaminski

Hunt area 1 as far south as you can go on the Ocmulgee WMA.