Question for the true believers.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I'm reading a book written by Penn Jillette(Penn & Teller) who is an outspoken atheist.

In his book he has a question he asks theists.

"If God demanded that you kill your children, would you kill them?"

His take away that if you would not kill your children, you are an atheist.

Would you kill your children if God demanded that you do?

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
No.
If something claiming it was God demanded child sacrifice, the demand itself would prove that it is not God. Christ was the final sacrifice.
Now in the time of the old testament, that's another story. Abraham's story is well known.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Isn't God and Jesus the same?
Or If separate and god is the father is he more powerful and has more clout?
What if the order came from the head honcho?

WaltL1

I'm reading a book written by Penn Jillette(Penn & Teller) who is an outspoken atheist.

Not sure I agree with his take away.
You could refuse to kill your children but still believe in God.
They would just be defying God which happens most every day.
Then the question becomes - would they be forgiven for their defiance?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Are my children Atheists in this hypothetical?
Children would be commanded to kill their parents for the sake of this conversation.

Ps, Nice to "see" you again Gem. Hope all has been well with you and yours.

gemcgrew

Children would be commanded to kill their parents for the sake of this conversation.

Ps, Nice to "see" you again Gem. Hope all has been well with you and yours.
Thanks BH. All is well here and I hope the same your way.

My answer to the question "Would you kill your children if God demanded that you do?" is yes, if God determined that I would.
No, if God determined that I wouldn't.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

My answer to the question "Would you kill your children if God demanded that you do?" is yes, if God determined that I would.
Thank you Gem
I knew your answer . Nobody in here is more loyal.

WaltL1

Thats ^ a pretty bullet proof (no pun intended) response.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)

Just a couple of points.

You know, I've got a few problems with the wording of the OP, in that it equates "true believers" with killing their own children. It's akin to asking, "Have you beat your wife today?"
It's a 'gotcha' question in which there's no right answer. I try to avoid entertaining such non-sense as the intent of any such question, no matter who raises it, is to paint those queried in a bad light. As such, these types of questions universally reveal nothing, other than the type character possessed by the person who poses the question.

I would only point out to Mr. Jillette that if he want's to lay all the children of "true believers" killed by "true believers" at God's feet, then it's only rational using the same criteria to lay all the other's killed EVERY. SINGLE. DAY at the feat of unbelief.

Somehow, I don't think he would accept that, and that's about as far as I care to become involved in this chicanery.

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Not sure I agree with his take away.
You could refuse to kill your children but still believe in God.
They would just be defying God which happens most every day.
Then the question becomes - would they be forgiven for their defiance?

You keep up this line of rational thinking, you're gonna destroy the strawman scenario.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Just a couple of points.

You know, I've got a few problems with the wording of the OP, in that it equates "true believers" with killing their own children. It's akin to asking, "Have you beat your wife today?"
It's a 'gotcha' question in which there's no right answer. I try to avoid entertaining such non-sense as the intent of any such question, no matter who raises it, is to paint those queried in a bad light. As such, these types of questions universally reveal nothing, other than the type character possessed by the person who poses the question.

I would only point out to Mr. Jillette that if he want's to lay all the children of "true believers" killed by "true believers" at God's feet, then it's only rational using the same criteria to lay all the other's killed EVERY. SINGLE. DAY at the feat of unbelief.

Somehow, I don't think he would accept that, and that's about as far as I care to become involved in this chicanery.

I just used "true believers" as a synonym for theist. I didn't want to limit the question to folks of one religion.

As far as "a gotcha question", "non-sense", questioning character, "chicanery", ect, it was simply a question that I thought was interesting.

jollyroger

I dont think it was a bad question, it certainly is an extreme hypothetical.

One is either unfailing in their belief in their god or they are not.

It is binary thinking, and that is why I decided long ago that I will not put myself into a position such as that because the world around me--reality-- does not operate in binary.

I remain agnostic to it all and relish the fact that I
will never know, I love the mystery.

Many religions and their devotees have a lot of the burden when it comes to proof of their devotion.

No, I would not kill my children unless by not doing so they would be made to suffer eternally unimaginable horrors and torture if I did not.

gemcgrew

Just a couple of points.

Are you struggling with this?

WaltL1

You keep up this line of rational thinking, you're gonna destroy the strawman scenario.
This was an easy one. Didnt require much thinking :bounce: