Braves 2021 Season Thread

BamaGeorgialine

Snitker is a great farm club manager
I personally don't think major league coaches matter much at all. Take Leo Mazzone for instance. Was he the best pitching coach in baseball or was he given the best pitchers in the game to toe the rubber darn near every night of a 162 game season? Anyway, just curious so, what head coach coaching right now would you rather have?

DannyW

Saw a different camera angle of the play this morning on ESPN. It was from the 3rd base side and clearly showed Sanchez's tag chasing Freeman after he touched the plate. In fact, he didn't even touch Freeman until he had slid all the way across the plate.

Didn't see this camera angle at all last night but assume it was available to the instant replay officials. But did we really expect a call, especially such a game changing one, to go against the Yankees, from a replay umpire located in New York City???

Duff

Man, that was some playoff atmosphere baseball. Anyone will be hard pressed to beat the yanks scoring 2 and 4 runs. They are going to get theirs. Can not stand the yanks but was impressed how they hit the ball the other way to beat the shift. Even the big boppers. I wish Albies would give it a try

biggdogg

They only showed the best camera angle twice. But it was from the on deck circle on first base side. You could clearly see Freeman's foot had slid completely across the plate before the mitt touched his ribs. Replay is a complete joke in the MLB. Bohm never touched home and Sanchez didn't make the tag in time...

DannyW

They only showed the best camera angle twice. But it was from the on deck circle on first base side. You could clearly see Freeman's foot had slid completely across the plate before the mitt touched his ribs. Replay is a complete joke in the MLB. Bohm never touched home and Sanchez didn't make the tag in time...

Yeah, I saw a fan's video on Twitter a little while ago. He must have been sitting near the top of field level behind the Braves dugout. When you pause the video it shows Freeman's foot a couple inches across home plate, and a 3 inch gap between Sanchez's glove and Freeman's ribs.

Sometimes missed calls don't impact the final outcome of a game. I firmly believe that one did. When is MLB going to make replay officials public and accountable instead of putting nameless umpires in an unknown NYC location? I'd like to see a TV camera in the that room for accountability, and the umpires interviewed on live TV to explain their decisions.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I like the idea of the review official not knowing what the call on the field is before he reviews it. Takes away the human factors of it. It’s either safe or out that’s it, no other outlying factors come into play.

DannyW

I like the idea of the review official not knowing what the call on the field is before he reviews it. Takes away the human factors of it. It’s either safe or out that’s it, no other outlying factors come into play.

I liked that idea a lot when I first heard it. Still do. But on plays like the one last night, the umpire is in the middle of it, and if you're watching the replay you see him make the call.

Of course it could be edited to remove the umpires call before being sent to the replay official but who wants to further delay an already lengthy delay?

And who knows...they may have been watching the game live in their downtime between reviews.

biggdogg

That is the second botched review of a play at the plate that went against the Braves this season. Look up the Alec Bohm play (vs. the Philthies) from the first couple weeks of the season.

I absolutely disagree with umpires reviewing fellow umpires calls in an anonymous environment. The buddy system is deep.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Another thing I wonder is if all the cameras are synched to the same exact time down to the tenth of a second. It would be so much easier for replay officials to see multiple angles at the same exact time, which in last night’s case, would show that Freeman touched the plate before the tag.

Particularly in football when one angle shows a knee down and another shows where the ball is, etc.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
That is the second botched review of a play at the plate that went against the Braves this season. Look up the Alec Bohm play (vs. the Philthies) from the first couple weeks of the season.

I absolutely disagree with umpires reviewing fellow umpires calls in an anonymous environment. The buddy system is deep.

100%. Any play that goes through ESPN or NYC will almost always go again the Braves.

walukabuck

Very frustrating, everything's in place to get the call right and they still can't do it. The yankees were dead in the water and traded for another batch of all-stars at the deadline. It's not like they should need help from MLB replays with all their resources. I had quit screaming at the TV years ago until last night. Kind of glad for a couple days off.

biggdogg

Braves get two days off and pick up a full game in the standings on Philly and NY. If they can play close to .500 ball against the Dodgers, Padres and Giants, I don't think the Mets or Philthies catch them. And the Padres have been struggling lately having fallen out of the Wild Card spot and canning their pitching coach.

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice having the Braves bats waking up to take the lead with a 4-run 7th-inning, not making it easy for the Giants.

EDIT Update below . . .

Congrats to Atlanta holding on for the win over San Fran, despite bullpen's Will Smith trying to give away the game again in the 9th-inning.

E92LvSdWYAETTF7

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401228984

Box Score

J. Soler ATL - RF
3-4, HR, 3 RBI

1st - Posey homered to right (341 feet), Slater scored.

2nd - Gausman grounded into fielder's choice to catcher, Yastrzemski scored on throwing error by catcher d'Arnaud, Estrada safe at third on error.

2nd - Duvall homered to left center (413 feet).

3rd - Riley singled to right, Soler scored.

4th - La Stella doubled to right, Estrada scored, La Stella thrown out at third.

7th - Albies doubled to center, Pederson scored, Heredia to third.

7th - Soler homered to left (430 feet), Heredia scored and Albies scored.

9th - Flores homered to left (395 feet).

Last edited:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Indeed. I'll still pull for them even though they stink!! How'd they go 2-10 in the last 10 games. You a math genius or something?::ke:
Nah.... They're just that bad ?