Braves 2021 Season Thread

DannyW

I'm finally at odds with Snitker. Was Will Smith once a great closer? Maybe...he certainly was for one year (2019). Will he be a great closer again in the future? Maybe...time will tell.

But right now, in the 2021 pennant race, he is an AWFUL closer. No maybe about it. Over his last 11 appearances he has given up 10 hits (5 for HR's), 8 walks, and 2 hit batsmen. That's 20 batters safely on base in 10.1 innings pitched. Oh...and he has a 6.97 ERA. And came within about 5 feet of another HR last night which would have tied the game. He has only had 1 "clean" (no hits or walks or HBP) appearance in his last 11 games.

Time to saddle up another horse. As someone else mentioned, Tyler Matzek has been terrific since the All Star break...16 IP with 12 of 18 clean appearances, 0 HR's, only 4 hits and 6 BB, and most importantly a 0.00 ERA. In fact, he has only given up 1 ER dating back to June 24 (21 appearances).

You are loyal to a fault Mr. Snitker. Heck, right now I would feel more confident running Minter out there in the 9th inning.

treemanjohn

Banned
Will Smith - 3 homers in last 5 games. He's not the closer we need. May need to retry Luke Jackson (ugh) or maybe Matzek? I want a closer that throws hard and throws strikes instead of finesse (that for fishing).
At least their winning!
Matzek just still getting over the yips. Not sure I would chance blowing him out in a closer role

biggdogg

I still can't stand Minter. He is a ticking time bomb. I just don't trust him to sustain the run he is on. Not sure I'm ready to move Matzek into the closer role either for the reason Treeman mentioned. But Will Smith is just embarrassing hisself. I read that with the bullpen shaping up, the Braves would likely shop him in the off season. Lord I hope so. My vote would be for Rodriguez to move into the closer role. Aside from the homer he gave up last night, he has been lights out since he got here. And he has closer experience.

Duff

Agree 100%. Smith does not need to be in the 9th inning. Terrible. I’ve seen him celebrate because someone made a game saving catch the last 3 or 4 times he’s been in the game. Like he did something great

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Agree 100%. Smith does not need to be in the 9th inning. Terrible. I’ve seen him celebrate because someone made a game saving catch the last 3 or 4 times he’s been in the game. Like he did something great
And to be so big, he definitely doesn't throw too hard.

BornToHuntAndFish

In case you did not know about expected surprises for today's game, Anderson & Rozario are in the starting lineup.

Twitter:

Atlanta Braves
@Braves

The #Braves today returned RHP Ian Anderson from his rehabilitation assignment and reinstated him from the 10-day injured list after optioning RHP Edgar Santana to Triple-A Gwinnett following last night’s game.

9:27 AM · Aug 29, 2021

The #Braves today returned OF Eddie Rosario from his rehabilitation assignment and reinstated him from the 10-day injured list. To make room on the active roster, the club designated OF Abraham Almonte for assignment.

1:16 PM · Aug 27, 2021

E99tWJoXoAMJl0w

treemanjohn

Banned
In case you did not know about expected surprises for today's game, Anderson & Rozario are in the starting lineup.

Twitter:

Atlanta Braves
@Braves

The #Braves today returned RHP Ian Anderson from his rehabilitation assignment and reinstated him from the 10-day injured list after optioning RHP Edgar Santana to Triple-A Gwinnett following last night’s game.

9:27 AM · Aug 29, 2021

The #Braves today returned OF Eddie Rosario from his rehabilitation assignment and reinstated him from the 10-day injured list. To make room on the active roster, the club designated OF Abraham Almonte for assignment.

1:16 PM · Aug 27, 2021

E99tWJoXoAMJl0w
The playoff roster cuts will be very interesting for the Braves. Theres a lot of close calls in the dugout

BornToHuntAndFish

The playoff roster cuts will be very interesting for the Braves. Theres a lot of close calls in the dugout

Still have the month of Sept for the regular season, but it will be interesting who's playing well then, if the winning momentum continues, if they can get more consistent run production, if they can avoid more injuries, & have tough close calls for a playoff roster if still in contention for post-season play, etc.

BamaGeorgialine

Man I've said that over and over again. How can Smith smile after getting shelled and bailed out by a top 10 play of the day? If the Braves aren't up by at least two runs when he comes in, it's gonna be extra innings at best case scenario

treemanjohn

Banned
Still have the month of Sept for the regular season, but it will be interesting who's playing well then, if the winning momentum continues, if they can get more consistent run production, if they can avoid more injuries, & have tough close calls for a playoff roster if still in contention for post-season play, etc.
Snitker is cut from the players coach cloth, so it's typically not the case where the best player stays. Let's hope for the best

BassRaider

Getting tired of the shift. Other than Freeman, we don't take advantage of it. Notice other teams seem to use it against us better.
If anyone has any stats, I'd like to see.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Getting tired of the shift. Other than Freeman, we don't take advantage of it. Notice other teams seem to use it against us better.
Yet teams wear our shift out right regular! Shift didn't matter on Soler's shot

BamaGeorgialine

Shifts only matter if the pitcher can hit his spot. On the offensive side, I saw Pedersen lay a beautiful bunt down the 3rd base line this year and he pretty much walked to 1st. I haven't seen him or anyone else even attempt one since. At least try to bunt and put it in the opposing teams head that you are willing to. It's as if it's below hitters to hit a single anymore. It's all bat speed, launch angles, and homeruns or nothing

treemanjohn

Banned
Its tough to find a raker these days. It's all about the long ball. Having a batter who can regularly work both sides of the field is very rare. Jeter was the last one that I can recall. He was a master at retarding his timing to take the ball to the opposite field. Most do it by mistake

BornToHuntAndFish

Wow, best rocking game of the series with Braves bats coming alive with 12-hits to lead 9-0 ending the 8th-inning.

EDIT Update below . . .

Congrats to Braves on a great win.

E9_H5AbXMBAuJIF

https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/gameId/401229013

Box Score

4th - Soler homered to left (419 feet).

4th - Riley homered to left (423 feet), Freeman scored.

6th - Rosario tripled to right, Pederson scored and Swanson scored.

7th - Freeman singled to shallow right center, Albies scored, Soler to second.

7th - Pederson hit sacrifice fly to left, Soler scored.

8th - Heredia scored on Long wild pitch.

8th - Albies homered to left center (405 feet).

Last edited:

Coenen

Good win today, and a series win against one of the League's best teams.

Latest posts