Hey Y’all from Atlanta

Concrete Pete

Hello all,

I live in Atlanta. I’m a native Georgian (family has been running around here since Oglethrope). I’m in my early thirties.

I’m very excited to join the GON discussions. GON and this discussion board has always had high quality information. Some of it has saved my skin from own ignorance.

I remember seeing GON issues all over the state back in the day or ‘old timers’ with some kind of GON memorabilia. I see GON as a really nice state tradition and appreciate all the hard work that’s gone into it over the years.

I have been in the throes of a vicious fly fishing addiction for some time. I am usually looking to buy gear. I will follow forum rules and post any specific wants in the appropriate section. I just felt this little fact about me would be appropriate in my introduction and helpful to the other members. Keep me in mind should you be planning to part with anything.

I am happy to volunteer my time with different projects as well. I am a computer programmer by trade. Sometimes people find my professional experience helpful. I’m also excellent with the shovel, pickaxe, and trash gripper (in case people want help maintaining our waters and forests).

Finally, I am always interested in meeting up with folks to go fishing or even to just sit down and solve the world’s problems over coffee / beer.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Welcome to the Campfire... finally.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Hello, Pete, and welcome

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Hello Pete,did I understand that your folks came with Oglethorpe’s colony?

Concrete Pete

Hello Pete,did I understand that your folks came with Oglethorpe’s colony?

Yes, a handful. The most notable being Dr. Samuel Nunez. He was on the second ship.

Outside of him, most of my ancestors who came to Georgia either with Oglethorpe or while he was governor were debtors.

Some fought the Spanish in the Florida border wars.

That period in our state’s past is fascinating and you might enjoy reading about it if you like history.

A great novel about the early history of the English speaking people in Georgia and Florida is “A Land Remembered”.

It’s historical fiction and a very easy read.

A lot of folks on this forum who are from Georgia can probably trace their ancestry back to at least one early colonist if they look into it.

Your local library probably has an Ancestry.com membership you can use.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Welcome to Woody's. We are happy to have you with us.,

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Yes, a handful. The most notable being Dr. Samuel Nunez. He was on the second ship.

Outside of him, most of my ancestors who came to Georgia either with Oglethorpe or while he was governor were debtors.

Some fought the Spanish in the Florida border wars.

That period in our state’s past is fascinating and you might enjoy reading about it if you like history.

A great novel about the early history of the English speaking people in Georgia and Florida is “A Land Remembered”.

It’s historical fiction and a very easy read.

A lot of folks on this forum who are from Georgia can probably trace their ancestry back to at least one early colonist if they look into it.

Your local library probably has an Ancestry.com membership you can use.
The subject is not completely unknown to me. I of course as a Georgia native studied it in third grade history. I’ve read some over the years and use the colony seal as as decoration on a powder horn that I made years ago.