Bear Hunting in other states

I’ve hunted a good bit and own a bear camp on the coast. There is more public land out there than people realize. If a man wants to still hunt bears out there it’s very possible. Same in the mountains. I see a good many bears in the nc mountains when out looking for hog sign. Hunting them without dogs is possible.

KentuckyHeadhunter

this picture was taken in Hyde county. An excellent place to hunt public land on the coast.

Thanks I wasn't sure exactly where. Well if anyone here wants to make a trip next year let me know. Not sure how their system works with non-res but there's a year to plan it. Probably covered up in hunters too, I don't know enough yet.

Thanks I wasn't sure exactly where. Well if anyone here wants to make a trip next year let me know. Not sure how their system works with non-res but there's a year to plan it. Probably covered up in hunters too, I don't know enough yet.

Not at all. You will be in a world of private land. Not many folks waste time on public land. Look into the Dare bombing range quota hunts. It will be worth your while.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I thought it was eastern NC that had the really huge bears and densest population(?) Dismal Swamp and those parts.
The coastal bears are quite a bit bigger on average because of crop farming. Some of the biggest on the planet. The populations are higher in the mountains. The Smoky Mountains have the highest concentration of black bears in the US outside of Alaska.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve hunted a good bit and own a bear camp on the coast. There is more public land out there than people realize. If a man wants to still hunt bears out there it’s very possible. Same in the mountains. I see a good many bears in the nc mountains when out looking for hog sign. Hunting them without dogs is possible.
Hunting them without dogs would be very possible and productive if there was part of the season when you couldn't run dogs. It is possible anyway on private land, but they go nocturnal on the national forest land after the first day or two of hound season. It's just a fact. I see bears almost every day before the dogs are turned loose, and pretty much none after. Year after year after decade.

And realize that I am not against hound hunting at all. I was born into a multi-generational family of hound hunters, and owned a pack myself for a good portion of my life. I love the dogs, the sport, and the tradition. But, it's just a fact that NC bear regulations are geared totally and completely toward hound hunters. And everybody doesn't have the time or money to keep a pack of bear hounds. I would love to see a week or two of bear season in NC where hounds weren't allowed. If nothing else, just open deer muzzleloader season to bears with no dogs.

I
Hunting them without dogs would be very possible and productive if there was part of the season when you couldn't run dogs. It is possible anyway on private land, but they go nocturnal on the national forest land after the first day or two of hound season. It's just a fact. I see bears almost every day before the dogs are turned loose, and pretty much none after. Year after year after decade.

And realize that I am not against hound hunting at all. I was born into a multi-generational family of hound hunters, and owned a pack myself for a good portion of my life. I love the dogs, the sport, and the tradition. But, it's just a fact that NC bear regulations are geared totally and completely toward hound hunters. And everybody doesn't have the time or money to keep a pack of bear hounds. I would love to see a week or two of bear season in NC where hounds weren't allowed. If nothing else, just open deer muzzleloader season to bears with no dogs.

I agree that it makes it more difficult but I have seen 3 bear just in the last couple weeks while bow hunting. All this is around Franklin. Of course I brought my dogs in the next day and ran/treed them but let them go. I’m still getting daylight trail cam pictures on a weekly basis of good size bear.

There is several sanctuaries that offer still hunts as well that are just as long as the Georgia quota dog hunt. Mount Mitchell comes to mind.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I

I agree that it makes it more difficult but I have seen 3 bear just in the last couple weeks while bow hunting. All this is around Franklin. Of course I brought my dogs in the next day and ran/treed them but let them go. I’m still getting daylight trail cam pictures on a weekly basis of good size bear.

There is several sanctuaries that offer still hunts as well that are just as long as the Georgia quota dog hunt. Mount Mitchell comes to mind.
That on Nantahala forest, or private? They're gone in daylight on NF here in Haywood.

That on Nantahala forest, or private? They're gone in daylight on NF here in Haywood.

All on national forest. I’ve got cameras set up on old poorly managed government food plots mainly for hogs/deer, all I get is bear here lately it seems. Got one set up on some persimmon trees. Several bear starting to hit those.

Not a southern state, however, Pennsylvania has an estimated bear population of 20,000 and in 2019 the bear harvest was 4,653. Also there is 2.2 million acres of State Forest Land; 1.5 million acres of State Game Land; 500,000
of National Forest (Allegheny) public land to hunt.

I was 17, born & raised in PA til then, and I scored my first Bear in Warren County, PA, (the Allegheny forest mentioned), a 450 pound male. That beast was the was the catalyst that made Bear hunting my passion and favorite pastime. I live north of Atlanta now, but also hunt VA periodically (hunt planned for December), but have seen over 70 Bears here in GA; many opportunities here with lots of quality animals.

35 Whelen

I was 17, born & raised in PA til then, and I scored my first Bear in Warren County, PA, (the Allegheny forest mentioned), a 450 pound male. That beast was the was the catalyst that made Bear hunting my passion and favorite pastime. I live north of Atlanta now, but also hunt VA periodically (hunt planned for December), but have seen over 70 Bears here in GA; many opportunities here with lots of quality animals.

My grandparents had a farm in Potter County, spent a lot of time there growing up. Lived in Crawford County until I moved to Georgia at 19. Hunted many times in the Hickory Creek Wilderness Area and other places in Warren County.

Resica

My grandparents had a farm in Potter County, spent a lot of time there growing up. Lived in Crawford County until I moved to Georgia at 19. Hunted many times in the Hickory Creek Wilderness Area and other places in Warren County.
Hunted SGL around Roulette(Potter) many moons ago.

bany

It’s a small world. Grew up in Venango county. Bear hunted Warren county, Truman’s or minister area. First hunt was in ’73 with a 20ga single shot. Never got one but was close a few times. Been in Georgia 26 years!

bany

Yessir on Sunday. I’m kicking around buying the bear tag. It will be in the first couple days of deer season too. And yes I’m going for a few days atleast!

bany

1B. Around Franklin, venango co. Maybe 2F also