The Bible

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Agree. Now when does one decide to be literal or figurative?
Today, with Sola Scriptura, every man gets to decide on his own. See the problem?
Man shouldn’t decide. I think you can get both literal and figurative from the same passage - Noah’s Ark.

When we start getting stuff that conflicts with other scripture, then I see the problem.

Last edited:

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
You could ask Israel that about almost any of his posts.
I have no issue with anyone expressing their views of scripture however I might disagree with their interpretation. The Lord makes it clear that he weighs the heart. However, cryptic posts about the Bible being impossible (except for one) doesn't contribute to the conversation and simply isn't true. Christ's understanding of the scriptures was complete, ours is not. Studying the scriptures with prayer and contemplation is how we gain understanding.

Last edited:

BanjoPicker

What does that even mean in relation to the conversation about whether the Bible is easy to understand or not other than to make one view himself as being clever? Do you not see the damage you do by making statements like this? Understanding the Bible is not impossible or God wouldn't have left it for us to study. Some parts do require much more contemplation and prayer than others though. The Bible is full of examples of this.

I agree!

BanjoPicker

BIBLE
This word designates the collection of the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments that are recognized and used by the Christian church who follow the religion of Jesus Christ.

The word Bible is not found in the English versions of Scripture. It is the equivalent of the Greek word biblia, meaning books. The phrase "ta biblia" meaning "the books" occurs in Dan. 9:2 of the Septuagint for the prophetic writings. This usage for the Old Testament, passed into Christian church and in time it was extended to the whole of the Old and New Testaments. About the thirteenth century, by common usage the term was changed from the plural to the singular The Book.

OTHER NAMES OF THE BIBLE:
The Scripture Mk. 15:28; Jn. 7:38; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17. The Scriptures Lk. 24:27, 32; Jn. 5:39; Acts 17:11. The Holy Scriptures Rom. 1:2; 2 Tim. 3:15. The promises Rom. 9:4, 5; 15:8. The Oracles of God Rom. 3:2; Heb. 5:12; 1 Pet. 4:11. The Livley (living) Oracles Acts 7:38. The law of Moses, the prophets, and Psalms Lk. 24:25, 44. The law of the Lord Ps. 1:2. The law of the prophets Mt. 5:17; 11:13; Acts 13:15. The Book of the Lord Isa. 34:16. The Word of God Mk. 7:13; Rom. 10:17; Heb. 4:12. The Sword of the Spirit Eph. 6:17. The Old and New Testament Lk. 22:20; 2 Cor. 3:6-15; Heb. 9:15. The Word of Christ Col. 3:16. The Word of Life Phil. 2:16. The Scripture of Truth Dan. 10:21. The Word Truth 2 Tim. 2:15. and the Gospel of Christ Rom. 1:16.

The word "testament" means a document disclosing the will of a person, a contract, an agreement, or a covenant between two contracting parties. All these meanings will become the more, clearer the more one studies the Bible. By the end of the second century, the Old and New Testaments became permanent names for the Jews and Christian Scriptures.

The Old Testament is largely a record of God's dealings with the Hebrew people and the revelations of His will to them and through them to the whole race, whereby He binds, Himself to take into new and special relationship all who obey His will. The New Testament is largely the fulfillment and enlargement of the Old Testament and gives the record of the promises, agreements, or compacts between God and man, showing the privileges, blessings, and requirements of the gospel through Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of the world.

Madman

Man shouldn’t decide. I think you can get both literal and figurative from the same passage - Noah’s Ark.

When we start getting stuff that conflicts with other scripture, then I see the problem.
Agreed, and this conflicts. So where do we go for the answer? I say we look to the tradition and teaching of the ancient Church.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Agreed, and this conflicts. So where do we go for the answer? I say we look to the tradition and teaching of the ancient Church.
I have certain reservations with “traditions” and what most consider the ancient church.

The church was born and added to in Acts. Jesus is to be the high priest you take your sins to, not a man wearing a rob as “father”. Jesus said call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Confession of sins one to another is basically saying hey dude, I got this problem will you pray with me. Confession to a priest is asking for forgiveness. There’s no requirement indicating that saying ten Hail Marys will earn forgiveness. Jesus didn’t put that out there, it’s as simple as repent - you come boldly to the throne….

Instead of fathers, bishops, priest, etc, He said I’ll give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. You can take your problems to your Pastor but you call on Jesus yourself for forgiveness.

The old tradition of offering your sacrifice to a high priest in the tabernacle has ended.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have certain reservations with “traditions” and what most consider the ancient church.

The church was born and added to in Acts. Jesus is to be the high priest you take your sins to, not a man wearing a rob as “father”. Jesus said call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Confession of sins one to another is basically saying hey dude, I got this problem will you pray with me. Confession to a priest is asking for forgiveness. There’s no requirement indicating that saying ten Hail Marys will earn forgiveness. Jesus didn’t put that out there, it’s as simple as repent.

Instead of fathers, bishops, priest, etc, He said I’ll give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. You can take your problems to your Pastor but you call on Jesus yourself for forgiveness.

The old tradition of offering your sacrifice to a high priest in the tabernacle has ended.

Not all ancient churches have confession to priests. Our public prayer of confession is below.

I will say one can walk into any of the ancient faiths and quickly know what’s going on. Protestant faiths are very different church to church.

ALMIGHTY God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Maker of all things, Judge of all men; We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, By thought, word, and deed, Against thy Divine Majesty, Provoking most justly thy wrath and indignation against us. We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings; The remembrance of them is grievous unto us; The burden of them is intolerable. Have mercy upon us, Have mercy upon us, most merciful Father; For thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ's sake, Forgive us all that is past; And grant that we may ever hereafter Serve and please thee In newness of life, To the honour and glory of thy Name; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Not all ancient churches have confession to priests. Our public prayer of confession is below.

I will say one can walk into any of the ancient faiths and quickly know what’s going on. Protestant faiths are very different church to church.

ALMIGHTY God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Maker of all things, Judge of all men; We acknowledge and bewail our manifold sins and wickedness, Which we, from time to time, most grievously have committed, By thought, word, and deed, Against thy Divine Majesty, Provoking most justly thy wrath and indignation against us. We do earnestly repent, And are heartily sorry for these our misdoings; The remembrance of them is grievous unto us; The burden of them is intolerable. Have mercy upon us, Have mercy upon us, most merciful Father; For thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ's sake, Forgive us all that is past; And grant that we may ever hereafter Serve and please thee In newness of life, To the honour and glory of thy Name; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

I didn’t realize that. I was under the impression they did all confess to a Priest. I stand corrected.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
BIBLE
This word designates the collection of the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments that are recognized and used by the Christian church who follow the religion of Jesus Christ.

The word Bible is not found in the English versions of Scripture. It is the equivalent of the Greek word biblia, meaning books. The phrase "ta biblia" meaning "the books" occurs in Dan. 9:2 of the Septuagint for the prophetic writings. This usage for the Old Testament, passed into Christian church and in time it was extended to the whole of the Old and New Testaments. About the thirteenth century, by common usage the term was changed from the plural to the singular The Book.

OTHER NAMES OF THE BIBLE:
The Scripture Mk. 15:28; Jn. 7:38; 2 Tim. 3:16, 17. The Scriptures Lk. 24:27, 32; Jn. 5:39; Acts 17:11. The Holy Scriptures Rom. 1:2; 2 Tim. 3:15. The promises Rom. 9:4, 5; 15:8. The Oracles of God Rom. 3:2; Heb. 5:12; 1 Pet. 4:11. The Livley (living) Oracles Acts 7:38. The law of Moses, the prophets, and Psalms Lk. 24:25, 44. The law of the Lord Ps. 1:2. The law of the prophets Mt. 5:17; 11:13; Acts 13:15. The Book of the Lord Isa. 34:16. The Word of God Mk. 7:13; Rom. 10:17; Heb. 4:12. The Sword of the Spirit Eph. 6:17. The Old and New Testament Lk. 22:20; 2 Cor. 3:6-15; Heb. 9:15. The Word of Christ Col. 3:16. The Word of Life Phil. 2:16. The Scripture of Truth Dan. 10:21. The Word Truth 2 Tim. 2:15. and the Gospel of Christ Rom. 1:16.

The word "testament" means a document disclosing the will of a person, a contract, an agreement, or a covenant between two contracting parties. All these meanings will become the more, clearer the more one studies the Bible. By the end of the second century, the Old and New Testaments became permanent names for the Jews and Christian Scriptures.

The Old Testament is largely a record of God's dealings with the Hebrew people and the revelations of His will to them and through them to the whole race, whereby He binds, Himself to take into new and special relationship all who obey His will. The New Testament is largely the fulfillment and enlargement of the Old Testament and gives the record of the promises, agreements, or compacts between God and man, showing the privileges, blessings, and requirements of the gospel through Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of the world.

That would be a true statement if men had no interceded thousands of year after the establishment of the church and decided which books would be included in the Bible to support their perspective. Further there are writings outside the Bible that are not canonical but give context and clarity to events in the Bible. Much of this writing is by the Apostles.

Madman

That would be a true statement if men had no interceded thousands of year after the establishment of the church and decided which books would be included in the Bible to support their perspective. Further there are writings outside the Bible that are not canonical but give context and clarity to events in the Bible. Much of this writing is by the Apostles.
When Christ came, he did not give us a Bible, he established a Church.

tell sackett

Dr. Adrian Rogers used to say of those who complained that they couldn’t understand the Bible: “Perhaps it’s because you’re reading someone else’s mail.”

RegularJoe

When Christ came, he did not give us a Bible, he established a Church.
As Jesus left He granted us access to Him via the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, through which we were provided guidance assistance.

[8/3/22 8:15am EDT edit - Changed 'he' to 'He']

Last edited:

Madman

As of yet, no one, not a single person on here, has explained why the beliefs Christendom holds, outside the ancient Church, are so varied, if what you are claiming is true.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
As of yet, no one, not a single person on here, has explained why the beliefs Christendom holds, outside the ancient Church, are so varied, if what you are claiming is true.
I learned yesterday that not even all of the ancient church hold the same beliefs. Why?