Pretty sure I need a 35 Whelen

menhadenman

Getting an itch to add more to the collection. My game is pretty stout but my big boy stuff runs out at 30-06 and a couple 7 RMs. Dynamite cartridges but I’d like a real thumper in the safe (I do have a 35 Rem that’s a deer and hog murderer).

The 338s sound fun but the 40 plus calibers do not. I think the 35 could scratch my itch without getting too crazy.

I can’t seem to get a good handle on who is making the 35 Whelen these days and figure what options I have. Or if I should consider something else. I’d love a single shot.

Thanks for any advice you can share.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve got the same itch. I like the 35 Whelen and ammo components are readily available. If I’m going to add in todays circumstances, this is it.

menhadenman

Last edited:

35 Whelen

Any ideas on where to get your hands on one?

Near as I can tell there are maybe four companies with off the shelf options. The CVA stainless one shot with a brake might look good in my hands.

I had another Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen just like the one posted except with a muzzle break (non-removable.) Sold it, ears would ring after shooting it without ear protection in the woods at deer. Had to wear double ear protection when shooting it on the range.

fauxferret

I have one of the CVA single shots in 35 Whelen and it’s done quite alright for me. It’s nothing fancy but it’s my loaner rifle. I don’t feel bad if it gets dinged up. Heck this year I was able to find 35 Whelen but no 06

rmp

I’ve considered the Whelen numerous times but already have the 338-06 A-square. 30-06 Lapua brass ready to go with one pass through the sizer. You’re welcome to my reamer should you rebarrel a rifle. I chose the 338-06 initially because I had so much projectile inventory from 338 Feds, 338 Win Mag, and a 340 Weatherby.

I plan to do a 9.3x62 rebore as soon as I tie up some lose ends. A rebore of a 270 Win which is a gifted 700 BDL. Lapua also makes the brass for the 9.3.

JES rebore

These larger calibers are fun but I prefer the cartridges without huge case capacity.
I don’t think you’ll go wrong with Whelen.

rosewood

I know a pawn shop that has a brand new CVA in 35 Whelen sitting on their shelf right now. I already have one in 35 REM and have no desire to add another set of reloading dies to my bench. :)

Rosewood

rosewood

Now one question, can anyone tell me the correct way to pronounce Whelen?

Rosewood

rosewood

I have also heard well in

Reactions: rmp