Pretty sure I need a 35 Whelen

Big7

The Oracle
I've always pronounced it "way-len". Unsure if that is correct. :huh:
That's the way the Midway USA guy pronounces it.

JR924

Sauer has a good rifle in 9.3x62 in the 100 Classic XT for $778. 9.3x62 ammo is now cheaper than 35 Whelen. My understanding is the 9.3x62 was grandfahtered in several countries for Africa Dangerous Game. Anyway that is the gun and caliber I am saving for even though I will never need it for the game I hunt.

menhadenman

My plans took a twist today. Stopped by Cherokee guns to look for a 243 for my buddy’s daughter… asked if they could get the 35 Whelen CVA. They cannot but happened to have the stainless takedown model in 45-70 on hand for about $400. I had to grab it. Still looking to get into a Whelen but this is not a bad mountain thumper. Will scope it tomorrow and see how she does.

@Dub would love the owner - they gave me a shirt with my purchase.

EDF36730-5FE1-43A3-A170-D0F986D123A0.jpeg4F719FC1-BC1A-4EA5-89B3-81B010C3087D.jpeg603EEA16-3C7A-43BE-A674-00C6F1EA903F.jpeg

Dub

My plans took a twist today. Stopped by Cherokee guns to look for a 243 for my buddy’s daughter… asked if they could get the 35 Whelen CVA. They cannot but happened to have the stainless takedown model in 45-70 on hand for about $400. I had to grab it. Still looking to get into a Whelen but this is not a bad mountain thumper. Will scope it tomorrow and see how she does.

View attachment 1194196View attachment 1194197View attachment 1194198

Heck yeah !!!!

rosewood

If I wanted a single-shot .45-70 rifle,
it wouldn't be short, stainless, or modern looking.
It would be one of these Buffalo rifles.
View attachment 1194279
Unfortunately, the bright geniuses at Remington discontinued those after they bought Marlin. I love mine.

rosewood

I have one of those too. Don’t care for it for my needs. Maybe 10 shots through it and now it lives in the back of the safe.
It is a hoot when u ring the gong at 500 with a 405 grain boolit with iron sights!

menhadenman

Begs the question .....what does your .45/70 look like ?

Or are we just talking theoretics here....
I’m still gonna get a Whelen if it’s the last thing I do! Proving to be trickier than I thought. Also want a Henry lever 22WM, a Ruger No 1 (not sure what cartridge), and maybe one of the new 6 mm critters.

Reactions: Dub

Professor

I will repeat the advice several others have already offered. First, seriously consider the 9.3x62. It is essentially the same round but necked up to .366. You will find more reloading components for 9.3x62 than 35 Whelen because the 9.3x62 is a very popular European caliber for boar, moose, and bear, and has been for more than 100 years. It was designed for German colonists in Africa who did not have access to, or could not afford, the expensive British dangerous game rifles.

Factory ammo is generally available and cheap, although it is hard to find right now. Most European hunting rifle manufacturers offer the caliber. Sauer, CZ, Sako, Tikka, etc. However, the cheapest way to get one is to buy a quality used rifle of your liking in 30:06 or .270 and send it to JES Reboring.

rosewood

You will find more reloading components for 9.3x62 than 35 Whelen.....
Not sure I agree with this statement.
I have never in my life seen 9.3x62 on the shelves in Georgia nor have I seen those bullets for loading. I have found 35 Whelen at Academy before the panic. You can easily find .358 caliber bullets at most stores that carry loading supplies and you can convert 30-06 or .270 brass if need be.

I myself would go with the Whelen if I was in the market.

Rosewood

pacecars

Begs the question .....what does your .45/70 look like ?

Or are we just talking theoretics here....
Don’t know about his but this is what mine looks like

Attachments

• 52F910AA-B6CB-46CC-ADCD-750D4C406CF3.jpeg
    52F910AA-B6CB-46CC-ADCD-750D4C406CF3.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

menhadenman

I've checked out the numbers and they're pretty similar cartridges, with the 9.3 based on a little heavier bullet and 35W having a little more speed. They might be closer to splitting hairs than not?

The one thing about the 35 is I've seen more reloading components and can also swap out barrels on my 30-06. I've shot a 35 Rem for a lot of years so also confident in the damage one of those rounds can do.

@rosewood helped me figure out the shank dilemma; I owe Shilen a call. @weagle and @rosewood also pointed me to a dealer with a CVA on the rack. I think I'm getting closer.

menhadenman

I will repeat the advice several others have already offered. First, seriously consider the 9.3x62. It is essentially the same round but necked up to .366. You will find more reloading components for 9.3x62 than 35 Whelen because the 9.3x62 is a very popular European caliber for boar, moose, and bear, and has been for more than 100 years. It was designed for German colonists in Africa who did not have access to, or could not afford, the expensive British dangerous game rifles.

Factory ammo is generally available and cheap, although it is hard to find right now. Most European hunting rifle manufacturers offer the caliber. Sauer, CZ, Sako, Tikka, etc. However, the cheapest way to get one is to buy a quality used rifle of your liking in 30:06 or .270 and send it to JES Reboring.

I'd also considered JES with my 30-06 Savage but not exactly sure that my contour on that rifle will support a little more bore much less a thread for a brake should I want one. I'm kinda down to the CVA single shot or Shilen/Douglas rebarrel for now, I think.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

View attachment 1194196View attachment 1194197View attachment 1194198
I had the chance to get one of these in .35 Whelen. I decided to hold until an opportunity to buy what I wanted come along. When it does, I'll own a .35 Whelen.

pacecars

I have had two 9.3x62mm chambered rifles and no .35 Whelens so you might think I would be a little biased. One was a Brno 21 8x57 that I had JES rebore and rechamber. Beautiful gun that made for a very light rifle which is not necessarily a good thing in that chambering. The other was a Steyr Model M Professional which was a tack driver. They offer the advantage of heavier bullets than the Whelen and there is the romance of the African stories of yore. Having said all that I would not go with either and instead go with a .338-06 for the better choice of bullets.