10 mm ammo

Liberty

From my experience in .357 sig, 40, 10, and 45, Longshot gives max velocity without pressure signs if you stay within book max. In 9mm, Bluedot gives max velocity with 124 grain. Not to mention Longshot is usually easier to find and cheaper than a lot of other powders. Works great in turkey loads and buck shot to boot. :)

Rosewood

It’s also a great “heavy dove load” in 20 gauge if you’ve never tried it that way. I’d forgotten all about the scatter guns. The only negative to that powder for me is that it earns its nickname “loud shot”.

rosewood

It’s also a great “heavy dove load” in 20 gauge if you’ve never tried it that way. I’d forgotten all about the scatter guns. The only negative to that powder for me is that it earns its nickname “loud shot”.
I have heard that, but never really noticed. I do know the flash is a dull yellow, whereas an equivalent load in Blue Dot sends out a bright flash in pistols.

Rosewood

Robust Redhorse

For deer and hogs, the Underwood Xtreme would be fine in any legal load it is available in. (you have to use expanding ammo for big game animals in GA - the monolithic solids would not be legal for deer)

I wouldn't recommend it in grizzly country.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Can it be used on pigs
Practically, I would assume that it would do fine on hogs, but I don't have any experience with it...

Legally, however, it would be okay on private land, but on public land, I believe you'd have to stick with what's legal for big game (expanding rounds only), assuming you are hunting during big game season. That being said, if I knew it was an effective round, any rule restricting it would be of little consequence to me, personally.

cddogfan1

Are we sure cast is considered non expanding? I though non expanding was more of a description on FMJ. I would think depending on the hardness a cast bullet even a LBT similar style it could be argued that there is some expansion happening.

RamblinWreck88

Are we sure cast is considered non expanding? I though non expanding was more of a description on FMJ. I would think depending on the hardness a cast bullet even a LBT similar style it could be argued that there is some expansion happening.
I think that's a great point. Looks like this very subject has come up before.... And again.

Personally, I think that any project designed to kill, regardless of expanding or not, would be aligned with the spirit of the law. Not saying some overzealous GW couldn't give you a headache, but overall I don't think there's much to worry about.

rosewood

Cast is considered expanding.

RamblinWreck88

I'm new to the 10mm can someone give me advice on some good hunting ammo
One of the guys on here killed a few pigs at Ossabaw with Underwood 165-gr HP's:
https://forum.gon.com/threads/g-40-mos-and-some-pigs.1008155/#post-13172176

There are probably several more posts about it on here. I'd say definitely stay away from anything winchester/federal/cor-bon/remington/blazer, etc... Most of those (Def. Cor-Bon) are loaded to about 50 fps over .40 S&W levels...

FOLES55

See last post…. Good information

deast1988

I got some boxes of 200gr fusion to try this year. Got it from SG ammo lil family business believe located in Alabama.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I was in Cabela’s yesterday and was in awe at the full shelves of ammo! Lots of ammo! I didn’t look for or see 9 & 10mm type ammo, but they were loaded as full as I’ve seen it in years……Acworth Cabela’s btw

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
And yeah, I’d line up ammo and new gun at the same time for sure. As for looking, I have made my last 4 purchases from Palmetto state Armory and would look there first…….ask hillbilly

If you are looking to get into a 10mm consider these links:

I’ve got one on the way!

I’ve shot enough deer and pigs with a .40 G22 to know you don’t need a $3 round to kill a pig or deer. If using a 10mm as a bear defense tool, then perhaps one of the supper penetrators would be desired. But be sure to discharge your bear spray first!
I’ve shot deer with 155 Win Silvertips, Hornady XTP’s, 180gr Talon, SXT, XTP, and cast 175gr SWC and 180gr cast. And 200gr XTP from a 10mm 1006 @ 1,330fps! (Accurate Powder #7) before they neutered the 10mm because of the G20 Gen 2’s. I love the .40, but the 10mm is just more flexible!

BTW, I can’t tell the difference in terminal effect on 120-150lb deer between a .40 155gr SilverTip or XTP @1,200fps and a .30/30 w 150gr CorLokt @2,250fps. Entry or exit or internal destruction. I can and do get 1,300fps plus with LongShot under a cast 155gr SWC.
Yes! It expands nicely on a 130lb pig! Busted through the shoulder plate and was lodged under the skin on the backside. Dead in his tracks!
With scrap lead, bulk quantity of powder, primer at $15/M, range pick up brass, I’d say it cost nearly 10cents! Obviously I stocked up after the Clinton shortage...