100 mph

bsanders

aint been that fast in a boat, seems crazy...... but ive been 171 on a bike but that seems crazy now, actually stupid, really stupid.

Lukikus2

I had a 19-1/2' Hydrasport with a 200 XP Evinrude with a few modifications and three blade high speed prop and it would top out at 84. It was pretty cool, the boat was like a wing when you got it running on the prop and you could run across 2' whitecaps and not feel a thing. Anyways, after I looked straight up to the heavens twice I decided to slow that mamba jamba down with a four blade! Life is too short

stepup

I had a bullet and I have run high 60's in it on GPS but a buddy of mine had a Allison with a 280 Bridgeport on it and I rode with him. We hit 103 and started hitting the rev limiter. This was while he was trying to find a prop.

Lindseys Grandpa

82 in a Norris craft a guy was showing me on Lake Lanier 10;00 at night 25 degrees. I felt like the flesh on my face was ripping off. I told him just slow down and i will buy the thing.

RiverGrasshopper

Got a buddy with a 250 mercury racing engine on a 16 ft bass boat. Ran 105 mph on the first lake test! He then decided to change the motor to something a little smaller... :rofl:

EClass

I was at LR gas dock for poker run on Sat and a guy came into no wake screaming wide open. 17' bass boat maybe with a motor larger than its rated for. What caught my attention was the RPM pitch change as he came clear out of the water half a dozen times coming in. Finally let up at the bridge. Guessing 70+ coming in. Was it you guys? ^^

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
My river boat will run about 35 or so. My saltwater boat a little over 45. That`s plenty fast enough for me.

Lukikus2

My mechanic friend was a Merc racing motor guy. Never wore a helmet. Made one pass at 105 and changed out the jets. Second pass was almost 108 when it flipped slinging him out but it sat down upright in the water. He swam to it, fired it up and the last pass at 110 was good enough.

Lawnmowerman

If I was a kayaker or a jon boater, I'd be writing my congressman. There comes a point where enough is enough... And 100 mph is past that point.

I am a kayaker & a jonboater.
That being said, I've grown wise enough to know where NOT to go & WHEN not to go there,,, ::ke:
Same as keeping the mopeds off the Interstate; I don't go where I'm not "at home".

I have been over 80mph on Tobo once, riding with an idiot who talked me into fishing a tourney with him.
We got from point A to point B in literally a matter of seconds! That was at blast off. He'll never do that again with me around, and I'll just leave it at that,,,:shoot:

61BelAir

I'm thinking of buying an older Stratos with a 175HP on it. He says it will do 68 with him and his grown son....and should do about 70 with my wife and I both being smaller. I have never owned a boat other than jon boats, canoes, and kayaks.....and I'm thinking 40 or so will be plenty fast for me.

Fastest I have been in a bass boat was high 50's trying to outrun a bad storm. We ended up getting soaked anyway, but I never felt unsafe.

mmcneil

Went to the Bullet boat factory in Tn back in the early 90's. They took me and my dad out for a test drive. He wouldn't go over 80 with a kid in the boat, but said it run over 100. 21' boat with hydraulic jack plate, Mercury 250 HO and stainless steel racing foot. Ended up visiting stratos and buying one.

RiverGrasshopper

I was at LR gas dock for poker run on Sat and a guy came into no wake screaming wide open. 17' bass boat maybe with a motor larger than its rated for. What caught my attention was the RPM pitch change as he came clear out of the water half a dozen times coming in. Finally let up at the bridge. Guessing 70+ coming in. Was it you guys? ^^

Nope, not us haha. Would never do that in a no wake zone though! :crazy:

Bama1787

89 in an Allison before we slung a blade off the prop. This boat was capable of 100+

75 in a Velocity "go fast" type boat. You could hit wakeboard boat wakes at 75 mph and not even feel them.

Lukikus2

Most go fast guys are more prepared than the average boater by far.

:cheers:

I think this bears repeating.

For the average joe to go and buy a 100 mph boat without experience and knowledge of boating at high speeds is rolling the dice. When running that fast you are looking way ahead of you. Things can happen very quickly at those speeds. There is a time and place.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Just after Bullets first came out, a friend and me hired a guild down on 'Nole. He was a rep. for them or something. Well, we were gliding through this creek not much wider than his boat when one of our boxes fell over and started sliding towards the front. My buddy started to ease forward to grab it when the guild screamed for him to sit the whatever down. Needless to say that really ticked us off and we planned to say so once stopped. As we came off plane in this beautiful wide spot full of standing timber, and full of hawgs as we found out, he beat us to the punch. He said he was sorry, but we were running in ONLY 8 INCHES of water and had my friend taken one step forward, we'd all been kilt! First I asked how fast and he wouldn't say, next I asked if there was any way of walking out of there, nope. That was my NEXT to the last ride in a go fast boat, the return trip was my last. My boater now has a "duck boat" and if it can hit 15 mph with my big bottom and all my gear in it, I'd be surprised.
Back in the early 80's this guy in my Dad's hunt'n/fish'n club had a really short bass boat with a REALLY big motor on it that he had named "The Wild Turkey". It seemed to be the "test of manhood" for all of us young'ns to be able to fish a whole day in that boat and not have soiled underware when we got home. Funny not one of the adults ever fished with him. I guess they figured that they had made us and could make more if something happened. When it was my turn to fish the Dead Sea with him, most of the day was great, and we did catch some fish. Around mid after noon, one of those boats with blown big blocks blew past us. The only warning I got was "I'll be so and so!" as he stomped the hot foot to the deck! If the prop was even in the water as we shot pass that boat I've no way to know. Once passed, the boat started the "death wabble" but thank the powers that be, he was able to bring it back on plane and then to a stop. When the other boat pulled up, the driver asked how fast and the reply was "Too scared to look, how fast were you going?". The reply was 96 when you "FLEW" pass! The saving grace being when it was discovered that my guts had not survived the ordeal, is that he admitted that neither had his. So, I guess that I can say that I might have been over 100 mph in a bass boat, but I just can't say for sure. What I can say is that I NEVER want to go that fast on water again!

Last edited: