100 mph

Big Texun

most boat crashes I've seen didn't really have as much to do with speed as they did with "rules of the road" violations, lack of knowledge/experience, or boating under the influence.

I could make the very same argument about vehicular crashes.

Big Texun

Most go fast guys are more prepared than the average boater by far.

I don't doubt that at all.

On the highway, I'm a great driver too. Never had an accident. Doesn't mean I can drive 100 mph without getting a ticket.

Not trying to be a party pooper.... 100 mph is too fast on the water.

Big Texun

i was actually ran over once.....and, it was by a dufus in a 16' aluminum boat with a 35 HP motor...not a bass boat going 90 mph...

Had it been a bass boat going 70 mph, think about what might have happened in that crash. Not only to the dufus, but to you and your passengers as well.

The energy imparted upon a crash is directly proportional to the speed of the object SQUARED.

I hate to be such a downer here but, it rubs me the wrong way to hear you boys bragging about how fast your boats will run. I've had some close calls and I routinely have children on my boat.

pbmang

BT, it's an interesting argument for sure, but you are also making a pretty broad assumption that someone going 70+ mph is going to be paying the same amount of attention as someone only going a few mph. I would argue that higher speeds require a MUCH more attentive driver. Not only for boat control but also the added calculation needed in maneuvering through the lake in a safe manner.

Personally, I am more worried about the guy in a cruiser/pontoon who is cranking down the lake at 20 mph with on hand on the wheel, turned around backward talking to his/her buddies while drinking a cold one. I guarantee you at a high rate of speed in a bass boat, that scenario isn’t even an option. I think slower boat operation makes people much more lax in their driving and gives them a false sence of saftey. Every close encounter I have had has been with boats going under 30.

Sure, Saturday afternoon in the middle of summer is no place for a 100mph run, but if you went out there right now, and there are a handful of boats on the entire lake, I don’t see a problem with it. Plus, when you watch all these videos, the lakes are deserted.

Fishlipps Revisited

BT, it's an interesting argument for sure, but you are also making a pretty broad assumption that someone going 70+ mph is going to be paying the same amount of attention as someone only going a few mph. I would argue that higher speeds require a MUCH more attentive driver. Not only for boat control but also the added calculation needed in maneuvering through the lake in a safe manner.

Personally, I am more worried about the guy in a cruiser/pontoon who is cranking down the lake at 20 mph with on hand on the wheel, turned around backward talking to his/her buddies while drinking a cold one. I guarantee you at a high rate of speed in a bass boat, that scenario isn’t even an option. I think slower boat operation makes people much more lax in their driving and gives them a false sence of saftey. Every close encounter I have had has been with boats going under 30.

Sure, Saturday afternoon in the middle of summer is no place for a 100mph run, but if you went out there right now, and there are a handful of boats on the entire lake, I don’t see a problem with it. Plus, when you watch all these videos, the lakes are deserted.

i absolutley agree.....i don't recall EVER having a "close encounter" with a "go fast" boat.....and, i've been running around on these lakes for over 30 years.....if those guys tried that on a busy lake, i doubt they'd get very far, or last very long.....if you start hitting boat wakes at high speed, it won't take very many to ruin your day.....and maybe your life.....but, when you've got a open stretch of water in front of you, and you're so inclined, then, by all means, drop the hammer if you want to....

Had it been a bass boat going 70 mph, think about what might have happened in that crash. Not only to the dufus, but to you and your passengers as well.

The energy imparted upon a crash is directly proportional to the speed of the object SQUARED.

I hate to be such a downer here but, it rubs me the wrong way to hear you boys bragging about how fast your boats will run. I've had some close calls and I routinely have children on my boat.

well, of course it have been a disaster, but, that's my point.....it wasn't....it was by an idiot that wasn't watching where he was going....speed wasn't an issue..and never has been for me...

like pbmang mentioned....a boat driver that's running wide open and trimmed up is most likely going to be paying a LOT of attention to what's around him....

and he won't be leaving a 3' high wake....

Big Texun

PB, I completely agree that it is safe, 95% of the time, and by 95% of the drivers. Maybe 99.5% plus. Same can be said of driving 100 mph on an interstate. Doesn't make it right because unexpected things do happen, even if it's one time out of a thousand. For what? A fish? A fish that you will get to anyway just a minute or two later if you go slower?

This time of year, yes, there are a lot fewer boats on the water and it is safer. However, if you do end up in the water, you won't last long... Perhaps more importantly, with the dead traffic on the lakes, you don't expect another boat to be coming from the other side of that point. Guess what? Occasionally, there is another boat.

Fishlips, I am glad you've never had a close call with a go fast boat. I have.

Murphy lives. 100 mph is too fast.

pbmang

Honestly, at those speeds you are not out to fish. In order to hit that kind of speed, the boats are basically gutted of all the gear and they have props just for top end. Sure, a 100 mph boat is still going to be fast with a "fishing" prop, but again, the driver is also going to be much more attentive with what he is doing.

Plus, when you are running those speeds, you are only going one direction, and thats straight. Trying to turn a standard bass boat through a tight turn at 55 is borderline impossible, so at what point to do you draw the line? A boat is not going to be rounding a point at its top speed (if it has a high top speed), so limiting the top speed is not going to change that situation. Going around a point as another boat is coming around from the other direction has everything to do with knowing how to properly navigate a waterway, not driving a fast boat. With that said, I'm all for personal responsibility. If you are aware of the risks involved with running a boat at that speed, and can do it without putting anyone unwillingly in danger, why should I or anyone else be able to prevent you?

I have fallen out of a boat 4 times, and every time it has been with the trolling motor in the water and the big engine off, and I would imagine most people who take a dive while fishing are under similar circumstances. Should we have it mandated we put a rail around the outside of every boat so people don't fall in? The problem is you can't make everything 100% safe 100% of the time. Now, if we did have a problem with accidents and people crashing on the lake due to excessive speed, I would be all for entertaining some ideas, but the fact of the matter is we don't. Of all the accidents I've seen on Allatoona, I have yet to see where one was caused due to excessive speed and not a lack of skill/attention when operating a watercraft. Instead I think we should look into BUI and enforcing the laws that are already in place. I can guarantee you would save more lives than limiting the speed on the lake.

I will agree 110% that Murphy is everywhere. Go on the DSM board and ask about my reputation with stuff breaking. Two weeks ago I thought I could smell soy sauce and it turned out the wires under my dash were cooking. I got a nice smoke show from that one :hair:

sinclair1

I have been involved in 2 accidents in 25yrs, both times I was the co angler. The first time, some kid on a jetski came flying under the bridge at the block house, there was about 20 of us staged waiting on our chance to drop a trailer driver. He couldnt stop(didnt really try) and zig zagged through until he t boned my partners boat.

The second time I landed in the hospital. we were fishing the Moby tourney and running WOT toward redtop and came upon about 20 ducks in the water, they usually fly away so my partner kept the pedal to the metal. One forgot to fly away and hit me in the head:crazy:
We had 9 lbs which I found out later would have made our money back, I spent $100 co pay at the ER instead:hammers:

the only thing I learned from the accident is.....single console boats are dangerous:bounce:

Last edited:

pbmang

Most boats wont really run 100mph people think they will but the hull limits that much speed

Lower units as well.

I have been involved in 2 accidents in 25yrs, both times I was the co angler. The first time, some kid on a jetski came flying under the bridge at the block house, there was about 20 of us staged waiting on our chance to drop a trailer driver. He couldnt stop(didnt really try) and zig zagged through until he t boned my partners boat.

The second time I landed in the hospital. we were fishing the Moby tourney and running WOT toward redtop and came upon about 20 ducks in the water, they usually fly away so my partner kept the pedal to the metal. One forgot to fly away and hit me in the head:crazy:
We had 9 lbs which I found out later would have made our money back, I spent $100 co pay at the ER instead:hammers:

the only thing I learned from the accident is.....single console boats are dangerous:bounce:

Sounds a lot like the coots on Seminole. I know the few times I've fished it I notice a lot of guys wear helmets year round. I ask someone and they said it was because of the birds. :banginghe

K-DAWG XB 2003

I hit a coot in 94' on the Big Sem! Lucky for my partner it hit the trolling motor cause he ducked way to late............lol

Shug

I fished with a guy ONCE at a night tournament that had a boat that would get in to the 90's. I thought something was wrong when he put on a motorcycle helmet. After we stopped at the first hole I was done. I don't scare easley but I was shaking. He thought it was the funnest thing, he wondered why no body would fish with him

basstastic

My Stratos runs in the 70s, and chime walks like crazy. lol. For some reason my partner likes to wear a helmet and hold the side rail.

Alan in GA

Ban them all [fast boats]....

I think they ALL should be illegal, banned from all state lakes...........unless of course..... I get one, then it's ok. :D

bassboy1

Perhaps. But, being able to legally drive a boat on public water faster than one can legally drive an automobile on an interstate highway is patently ridiculous.

On that note, I'd say the speed limits on the interstate aren't exactly a grand solution either. The guy driving 95 in the left lane (conditions permitting; dry roads, no excessive traffic, etc) isn't nearly as dangerous as the idiot with a phone glued to his ear and burger in his lap trying to merge over to the ramp at the last second. Or, the bozo going slow in the left lane, as he feels that is that he is going fast enough, and shouldn't move over for faster traffic. Lets maybe start issuing tickets to those drivers, and not the ones going 10 over in clear, uncrowded conditions.

Same deal on the lake. On a crowded day in the summer, 100 is definitely unsafe - too many wakes, too much traffic, etc. But, when conditions are fine, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally can't think of many places on Allatoona that I would feel safe at 100, given the layout of the lake, but that doesn't exclude other, more open bodies of water.

If you enforce the rules of the road, speed isn't all that dangerous. If nobody knows the rules of the road, but the speed limit is set at 30 mph, I have no doubt that there would be collisions all over the place.

Speed limits reduces the carnage of a crash. Rules of the road reduces the actual number of crashes.

auburndeerhunter

82mph in a triton and still had a little left isnt as fast as you think could have gone faster with no problem. i Aint afraid... lol

Coon Krazy

Back some years ago when I worked at martins marina on Jackson lake...I rode in a Stroker that was running about 103. Theres a guy on Jackson now that has a Bullet with a 300 merc on it...He said his best was 102.