100 mph

Alan in GA

At what point is it worth the risk?

I used to watch a policeman that loved fast bass boats. He would run up and down Allatoona at Bethany bridge [Red Top ramp]. He had a racing PFD with collar and helmet on each run. He would run the boat up onto the trailer and change props over and over to see what worked best. I heard that he lost his life doing this a few years later[?] when his boat flipped during a high speed run.
I love to 'go fast' when the boat feels stable. My friends' boats do about 74 tops and they feel stable. I don't know how much faster is 'worth the risk' though. I enjoy the thrill of fast cars and boats but with boats and WAVES there must be a speed that gets you well into the 'dangerous' zone?
I'm just glad my little Triton 1653SS will GET ON PLANE with my and my buddy's fat butts and all our gear in it with the 40 Merc!

Also I think about what real effect a 'faster boat' has on a fishing tournament. If it's about how many more pounds of fish an angler can put in the livewell, then why should one angler have the advantage of a faster boat over another? I don't want to sound like I'm against hot rods, I love the speed and power feel of them, but boat speed doesn't make sense to me if the event is about who can 'fish better' that day.
Just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

Fishlipps Revisited

I used to watch a policeman that loved fast bass boats. He would run up and down Allatoona at Bethany bride [Red Top ramp]. He had a racing PFD with collar and helmet on each run. He would run the boat up onto the trailer and change props over and over to see what worked best. I heard that he lost his life doing this a few years later[?] when his boat flipped during a high speed run.

that's correct....and, without going into a lot of morbid details, the helmet is what killed him...

K-DAWG XB 2003

Theres a guy in our neiborhood that loved to ride mopeds. Every time a new model came out he would zoom to the dealer and by a new model moped. His favorite place to ride was the interstate. He would run up and down the interstate. He loved to stretch it out all the way up to 45 mph! He wore helmets and all that safety gear. One day a semi truck driver jacked up on yellow jackets ran him over and killed him. If only he would have stayed off the interstate cause that got him well into the dangerous zone. I enjoyed the thrill of riding Mopeds as a kid but, I realize that most people dont see mopeds, motorcycles and thats the leading cause of deaths on them. So, I guess I will stay off the mopeds...........Point being, people die doing all sorts of things. Not everyones cup of tea....no doubt.

sinclair1

I used to watch a policeman that loved fast bass boats. He would run up and down Allatoona at Bethany bride [Red Top ramp]. He had a racing PFD with collar and helmet on each run. He would run the boat up onto the trailer and change props over and over to see what worked best. I heard that he lost his life doing this a few years later[?] when his boat flipped during a high speed run.
I love to 'go fast' when the boat feels stable. My friends' boats do about 74 tops and they feel stable. I don't know how much faster is 'worth the risk' though. I enjoy the thrill of fast cars and boats but with boats and WAVES there must be a speed that gets you well into the 'dangerous' zone?
I'm just glad my little Triton 1653SS will GET ON PLANE with my and my buddy's fat butts and all our gear in it with the 40 Merc!
Just thinking out loud.
Good points, I am what is considered an idiot:bounce: I plan to go 100 in a boat, 200 in a car and jump out of a plane solo before I die....or as I die:pop: Life is all about experiences. I dont want to wake up old only to realize my life was spent trying to die safely and boring:pop: Hey watch this:bounce: I will however probably die before I get up the nerve to go 40 ft high in a climber.

warrior21

that's correct....and, without going into a lot of morbid details, the helmet is what killed him...

Used to see him at the pot tournaments on Allatoona back in the '80's when I was a kid. His son was about 14-15 and would warm it up before blast off. This was back when a 200 was a BIG motor. I don't know what he was running but there was NO race at blastoff. We would blastoff at Allatoona Landing and he would be around the corner at Iron Hill before most of us were on the pad good!

Alan in GA

maybe I'm just a coward....

Theres a guy in our neiborhood that loved to ride mopeds. Every time a new model came out he would zoom to the dealer and by a new model moped. His favorite place to ride was the interstate. He would run up and down the interstate. He loved to stretch it out all the way up to 45 mph! He wore helmets and all that safety gear. One day a semi truck driver jacked up on yellow jackets ran him over and killed him. If only he would have stayed off the interstate cause that got him well into the dangerous zone. I enjoyed the thrill of riding Mopeds as a kid but, I realize that most people dont see mopeds, motorcycles and thats the leading cause of deaths on them. So, I guess I will stay off the mopeds...........Point being, people die doing all sorts of things. Not everyones cup of tea....no doubt.

I used to ride motorcycles. Honda 350 Scrambler in 1970, then bought a 'fastest on the showroom floor' in 1972, a Kawasaki 750. Put right at 10,000 miles on each bike. Had a few close calls on the Kawa and sold it. Fun while it lasted [127 MPH on Powder Springs Rd between Cobb County Farm and Powder town].
I long ago decided that motorcycles are not worth the risk on the streets in Cobb County. This is NOT what many of my friends agree with but it's just my decision.

How'd you get a Moped up to 45 mph? Windy day going down wind? :D

rayjay

So you're saying he would have survived if he didn't have the helmet on ?????

I was just comtemplating this whole thread and had about decided that if you have some sort of failure at high speed on the water you are probably a dead duck.

K-DAWG XB 2003

So you're saying he would have survived if he didn't have the helmet on ?????

I was just comtemplating this whole thread and had about decided that if you have some sort of failure at high speed on the water you are probably a dead duck.

Now a days helmets are required to be strapped to the vest sort of like a haus device for nascar. Theory being if the helmet catches the water in a funny way it wont rip your head off.

If you have a failure in a car at high speed chances are the same thing. Your prolly a road kill.

rayjay

and, down HILL...:rofl:

Back in my motorcycle commuting daze I used to come up on this mopedist [ hahhahhaha just made a new word ]. I always seemed to catch him on this big downhill on Hicks Rd over in Smyrna. He was down at the bottom when I would see him. I would click a couple of downshifts and twist the throttle and tuck in. Go past him doing 85+ about 2" off his left handlebar looking over at him :banana:::ke: If he had ever have wiggled we would both have been kilt.

sinclair1

Back in my motorcycle commuting daze I used to come up on this mopedist [ hahhahhaha just made a new word ]. I always seemed to catch him on this big downhill on Hicks Rd over in Smyrna. He was down at the bottom when I would see him. I would click a couple of downshifts and twist the throttle and tuck in. Go past him doing 85+ about 2" off his left handlebar looking over at him :banana:::ke: If he had ever have wiggled we would both have been kilt.

It took me 20 years but I finally found you:bounce: That hill at Gb's was tough on ole betsy

Alan in GA

JUST for the record....

There are 2 other boats I would probably have right now if I had the fiscal ability:

*A G3 18' Jet forward center console for 'faster' river running [w/90/65 jet outboard],

*and a 74 mph [or thereabouts] stable bass boat....never said I didn't want one!

Last edited:

SGADawg

Sinclair1, i may have missed it in another thread somewhere, but what is the story with your avatar? That boat looks to be a long way from the water.:huh:

rayjay

It took me 20 years but I finally found you:bounce: That hill at Gb's was tough on ole betsy

Hhaha, that's the hill. I'm sure by the time the moped got to the bottom of that hill it was probably setting some moped land speed record :clap: I never saw him when he was going up the hill.

Speaking of GB's, it's now a horse stables.

Attachments

• Kawi 550's.JPG
    Kawi 550's.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,024

sinclair1

Sinclair1, i may have missed it in another thread somewhere, but what is the story with your avatar? That boat looks to be a long way from the water.:huh:
Its not me, I dont remember were that accident took place.

sinclair1

Hhaha, that's the hill. I'm sure by the time the moped got to the bottom of that hill it was probably setting some moped land speed record :clap: I never saw him when he was going up the hill.

Speaking of GB's, it's now a horse stables.
I give you 2 points for the bikes, 5 points for the chevelle, but thats a big -10 for the Renault LeCar::ke::rofl: