11/24 PM

Two poachers rifle hunting on archery only public this evening. Rifle shot no more than 200 yards from my tree. After dark ran into them in the way out trying to track the doe they shot.... Gotta love public land sometimes.

basshappy

BANNED
Dog handler said he ain’t gonna make it tonight. I’ll go back in the morning and look the old fashioned way.

@WOODIE13 i don’t know anyone that has one.

What area of GA are you?

Can you get a climber up a tree and search that way shining a light? Up 1 tree, shine around, mark that arra off, move methodically to next area, etc?

Where you heard crash / thrashing any signs of branches broken you can see?

Dupree

What area of GA are you?

Can you get a climber up a tree and search that way shining a light? Up 1 tree, shine around, mark that arra off, move methodically to next area, etc?

Where you heard crash / thrashing any signs of branches broken you can see?
Polk county, close to Alabama line. Should be there around 7:30-8:00 to start looking again.

Dupree

I bet you find him pretty quick in the morning ! Good luck , I’ve left a few over night and only had one ate by coyotes . And they nearly ate the entire deer
I’m hoping so. I talked to a dog handler that I’ve used in the past and several buddies have used late last night. He was on his way back to town from thanksgiving. He thinks I will find it on my own, but said to call him if I wanted him to come. I told him if I found any evidence of a hit and couldn’t locate the deer easily I’d give him a call. Bout to wake the kids up and drive the hour to begin the search.

Dupree

He only went about 80-100 yards. I was only able to find one drop of blood when back tracking after finding him. Surprised he didn’t drop. IMG_1848.jpeg72261133205__199FB22C-093E-4EBE-AD71-60E8A248FB9E.jpegIMG_1843.jpeg

deerslayer357

Congrats! Glad you were able to find him!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Man that's awesome!
Beautiful Buck!
Congratulations to you both!

basshappy

BANNED
@Dupree nice work on recovery. Hopefully the meat is good die to cool temps overnight!

Question - what is that wound on his neck?

Question - Did bullet enter high on right and exit high on left? In pics it looks like clean entrance on right side and then on left hair is brushed a bit but looks like clean exit hole? If so,what caliber was used and bullet? Curious to learn if it pass right through so clean. And that high up could explain why no blood or very little blood.

20231125_110940.jpg

Dupree

@Dupree nice work on recovery. Hopefully the meat is good die to cool temps overnight!

Question - what is that wound on his neck?

Question - Did bullet enter high on right and exit high on left? In pics it looks like clean entrance on right side and then on left hair is brushed a bit but looks like clean exit hole? If so,what caliber was used and bullet? Curious to learn if it pass right through so clean. And that high up could explain why no blood or very little blood.

View attachment 1271879
Yes, what you circled is exit. 308 with 150gr hornady interlock. His neck was wrapped in vines and a bobcat has clawed on it some, ate off both hams, and had it covered up with leaves.

basshappy

BANNED
Yes, what you circled is exit. 308 with 150gr hornady interlock. His neck was wrapped in vines and a bobcat has clawed on it some, ate off both hams, and had it covered up with leaves.

So it _appears_ that bullet was high and back, missed both shoulders, and just sailed on through that deer? Wow. Takes knowing what is beyond your target to a new level!

If you field dressed it what could you see internally? Did it hit the top of the lungs? Looks too high though, but could be angle of pics.