.260 vs. 6.5CM Reloading- UPDATE

nmurph

I'm looking for some experienced opinions regarding reloading these two calibers.

Here's this impetus for this question-

I'm looking to add a new gun to the safe. I've hunted with 30-06 & 270 all my life. I have a 700 in each caliber, though the '06 has gotten lion's share of work for the last 10 years and exclusively for the last 4. My shots are typically 150-250yds. I prefer the high shoulder shot for the DRT effect. Either of the calibers will easily handle this task. I took a buck two years ago at a measured 342 (I stepped it off at at 320 but verified with the laser this fall). I shoot 150g Federal NPBT. I''ve had three shoulder surgeries, two on my shooting side. I don't have any problems with recoil but I'm beginning to realize that Father Time is starting to catch up, or that's my justification for a new gun. I really want a lighter recoiling round that is capable of allowing me to continue to hunt my way.

I've spent lots of time studying and researching the .260 and 6.5CM. I know they are near-ballistic twins in factory loads with the the .260 having a very slight performance edge. However, reloaded, the .260 pulls ahead from what I read. I will add that I didn't see a lot of info regarding reloading for the CM.

In my searching for guns in these two calibers I found there are vastly more choices for the CM. Here's sort of what I'm wanting-

$600-900 on the bare gun
Synthetic stock (no wood or laminate)
Flat bottom metal- no DBM
I really prefer a blued finish which I will Cerakote
Sporter barrel- 22.5" (don't like the look of heavy barrel/compact- not sure how much length affects velocity).

I'm not interested in Mossberg/Savage/TC/ Winchester/Browning. For the .260 that's leaves another 700 or Model 7. But my experience with the 700 is that it takes a new trigger and stock to make them shoot.

For the CM there are many choices that interest me. I believe they are all shooters out of the box.

Tikka
Bergara
Howa
Sauer

The Begara really calls my name!

I don't currently reload but do plan to take it up. So in stock form, the 6.5 wins. But I have concerns that either round will give me the terminal performance I want. I do believe the .260 can be loaded to do so, and it can be souped up to an AI which Im certain will work for me. Can the CM be similarly tweaked to perform to a level that will make me happy?

Responses? I'm all ears.

Robert28

The 260 is one that I've been really kicking around the idea of picking up. I don't reload though and there's only so much commercial ammo available for it right now. I'm hoping it'll pickup in popularity so more choices will be available. I'd been looking at a 700 sps in 260 because it was around $500 and I know I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a high rifle.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It has not been around as long as the other .308 variants. The .243 and 7-08 have been around since the mid to late '50s, the .260 has only been around since the late '90s.

I'm getting anywhere from 2850- to knocking on the door 3000 fps out of my .260 depending on the combination.

If you don't hand load the 6.5CM may be the better choice for that reason only.

a 700 SPS is only a stock and a trigger away from a good gun :)

lampern

The 260 came out in 1997 and never really took off.

Still if you want to reload, it should be a good choice.

I'm surprised the 6.5 has taken off because the 260 did not

The 7mm-08 was not commercialized until the 1980s but it took off

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have to assume the 6.5 you are referring to is the 6.5CM. It may have been the twist rate and ammo choices in the beginning. Might be kinda similar to 6MM and .243 thing. There were really only a couple of loads in the beginning. Now with the change of twist to 1:8 or 1:8.5 , faster in some cases, and the many bullet choices thanks to the other 6.5's popularity it is picking up a little. High end companies are making brass for the .260 now too. Even a couple with small primer pockets. I have been able to load some combination in the 130s that are in the 2900 fps range without pressure signs in a 24" tube.

If you are doing all of this to hunt inside of 400 yards the only the only thing you are achieving is less felt recoil....if you really want to achieve... suppress either and it will fell like a .223

nmurph

Let me de if I can distill my question- a little-

Will either caliber perform satisfactorily for shoulder shots at 300yds with factory ammo.
If not, can either be loaded to do so? If not, will the 260AI do so, and any idea of the recoil (I'm assuming it would be getting back to. 270 territory)?

Reducing recoil at this point is really about increasing accuracy. But I think looking 20 years down the road, a lighter kicking round will certainly have a real appeal (although my dad killed his last deer at age 84 with a .270).

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes, short answer, and you will have more factory ammo options with the 6.5CM.

If you brake either or suppress it there will be even less felt recoil..

bullgator

If you load, the 6.5x55 Swede can get you even more horsepower and is available in the Tikka and Sauer.

tom ga hunter

I have a Nosler 260 that is your basic 1/2" rifle with factory ammo. I'd sell for $1,000.00. Several of my friends have Bergara 6.5 CM, they are all sub 1" rifles. The 260 is slightly faster than the 6.5 but there is a lot more 6.5 factory ammo available and more reloading data. There is little if any difference in the 2.

My friends with Bergaras have the ridge model which really feels good to me.

rosewood

I prefer the .260, but if you don't reload, the 6.5CM is the way to go for sure. Either will easily take a whitetail at 400+ yards. A 140 grain in 6.5 CM still carries almost 1000 ft-lbs at 500 yards depending on the load. Plenty of energy to be effective at those ranges.

Oh, and both are soft shooting to me.

Rosewood

furtaker

If you load, the 6.5x55 Swede can get you even more horsepower and is available in the Tikka and Sauer.
Roger that. Have you considered the Swede? Factory ammo is a bit mild but if you handload you can get a bit more velocity than either the CM or the 260. I really like mine. But in reality the 3 cartridges are very similar ballistically. The Swede is a long action round.

bullgator

Roger that. Have you considered the Swede? Factory ammo is a bit mild but if you handload you can get a bit more velocity than either the CM or the 260. I really like mine. But in reality the 3 cartridges are very similar ballistically. The Swede is a long action round.
American ammo is mild due to the old actions. The expensive euro ammo is usually loaded hotter. I’ve hunted with the Swede for about 12years and almost exclusively for the last 5. I’ve had great luck with 125 partitions and 130 Sciroccos.

furtaker

American ammo is mild due to the old actions. The expensive euro ammo is usually loaded hotter. I’ve hunted with the Swede for about 12years and almost exclusively for the last 5. I’ve had great luck with 125 partitions and 130 Sciroccos.
The 140gr factory stuff chronos around 2500 in my rifle. I've been loading the 140 Speer to around 2600 with room to spare. Load data for this cartridge is very conservative for a modern rifle. I go way above book loads and have zero signs of pressure.

furtaker

What kind of speed and accuracy are you getting out of the Sciroccos? I've wanted to try them but for $55ish a box I haven't been able to click the Add to Cart button.

Rainmaker

My .02 -

The three best rifles in your list are: Tikka, Tikka, and Tikka

The factory trigger is as good as my Timney Calvin Elite. A $10 Yodave spring can get it to where you want. They shoot as good as 99% of the customs out there. I have handled many $1000 plus custom actions, and none beat the Tikka in bolt lift and smoothness. The Curtis Axiom edges it out slightly, but at the tune of about $1200 for the action.

The best choice in my mind is the Tikka T3X CTR, but it doesn't meet some of your criteria.

Don't get stuck on a 22" barrel, because a 24" will give you a little better performance and will not make a negative difference in handling.

I have a Tikka T3X Tac A1 in 6.5 creed. I have had 2 other 6.5 creeds and a 260.

There is no logical reason to pick a 260 over a 6.5 creed unless you just want to.

Just do an internet search on Grabagun, Brownells, MidwayUSA, Cabelas, etc. and you will find the offerings for the 6.5 creed in rifles, ammo, and reloading dies far exceed the 260.

For a hunter, you do not want SRP brass. I have Lapua SRP for the 6.5 and you need a benchrest decapping pin - Redding. It's much easier to just keep the standard pin and use any variety of brass out there for the 6.5 - Hornady, Winchester, Federal, etc.

Remington had their chance with the 260, and they failed. You can walk into Walmart and Cabelas and buy 6.5 creed ammo. I challenge you to find 260 ammo in a big box store.

The creedmoor case is superior - in theory and reality.

You asked the question will the .264 caliber round provide enough terminal performance at 300 yds on whitetails - of course.

You do have contradicting messages in your posts though.

You concern is time, age, and 3 shoulder surgeries which equals your quest for lighter recoil - I get it.

But - you imply light rifle and pushing the ballistics to the AI limit.

Those two have an inverse relationship unless using a suppressor or brake.

One last thing to consider - look at the 6mm creedmoor ballistics with a 100 plus grain projectile. Inside 400 it's with the other 2 in the real world regarding ballistics - and it will do it with less recoil.

Good luck.

rosewood

There is no logical reason to pick a 260 over a 6.5 creed unless you just want to.

I have 3. You can make 260 brass from .308. My .260 pushes the same bullet about 150 FPS faster in my guns (may not be as much in others guns). If you need to check headspace, the 260 uses the same headspace gauges as the .308, 7mm-08, .243, 338 Federal, 358 Winchester. So if you are a savage fan and like to swap barrels, fewer headspace gauges are required.

Rosewood

Rainmaker

I agree and have made 260 brass from 308, 708, and 243 until I bought some Lapua.

Not an endeavor for a new reloader IMO.

However, that extra 150 FPS comes at a price which goes against his intent - less recoil.

Jester896

Senior Clown
no real need to make .260 brass. It is available, i have purchased maybe 500 new Remington cases this year. I have 200 new Lapua I don't really need, and Peterson makes some really nice match brass for them. Might even swap 100 of my Lapua for 100 of the small primer Peterson.

rosewood

no real need to make .260 brass. It is available, i have purchased maybe 500 new Remington cases this year. I have 200 new Lapua I don't really need, and Peterson makes some really nice match brass for them. Might even swap 100 of my Lapua for 100 of the small primer Peterson.

Today there is not. A few years back when I rebarreled my savage to the .260, the only brass that could be found was the lapua or Nosler brass at over $1 per case. I am a frugal reloader and prefer less expensive brass. Couldn't find any other 260 anywhere. I resorted to converting .243 to .260 and that is what I am still using. Finally got a deal on some Nosler brass that I have been using to develop some target loads, but the .243 brass is what I have been carrying for white tails.

In the event we have another ammo/component shortage like we had after sandy hook, I can reform brass as needed. I do not have that option with 6.5 CM.

Rosewood