6 mm ARC, what can you tell me.

Nimrod71

I have got some extra cash and it is burning a hole in my pocket. The problem is I can't make up my mind on what rifle to buy. Back in the old days it was a lot easier, there were as many choices. Anyway, a friend was in the LGS yesterday and we got to talking about what I had bought lately and I told Dicky I was having a problem making up my mind. I have been on the fence over the 6.5 PRC for a couple of years now I'm not so sure I need one. Dicky has a 6.5 PRC and really likes it and has offered to let me take it out for a test drive. He also has 6.5 Grendel which my friend Mike has been talking with me about. Mike has gotten me interested in the Grendel. Well as Dicky and were talking about the Grendel he told me of his new favorite, the 6 mm ARC. Now I have another caliber to add to my list to evaluate. Last night I read about the 6 mm ARC and it sounds interesting.

The question of the day is had any rifleman here had any experience with the 6 mm ARC.

Steven037

I’ve been shooting it a couple years now. I like it. Easy to shoot. My build is accurate. Works good on deer and pigs. I’ve always been a 6mm fan. I built a .308 but it was just too heavy for what I wanted. Was going to do a Grendel but the ARC showed up and I went for it. I’ve been very happy with it other than ammo and brass availability. Ammo has started to show up more but the only choice is Hornady. They have a 108 match load, a 105 black load, and a 103 eldx load. There’s a TAP load as well but I haven’t seen it. I started when it first came out so I stocked up and have plenty of once fired brass. Reloading for it has been fun too. Light varmint bullets to heavy target bullets and plenty of bullets to take deer and hogs. People use Varget, 8208, cfe, and leverevolution, among some others with good success. Hornady and Hogdon have published data for it.

Steven037

It’s a pleasure to shoot. Accurate. Low recoil. So far runs well suppressed without an adjustable gas block. Large range of bullets if you handload. Did I say accurate. Extremely. And runs in an ar-15 pattern. I’ve found duramag and elander mags to work for me. Geissle has some mags out I haven’t tried but are arc specific. I’m gonna pic some up to try but they aren’t cheap.

Reactions: Dub

bullgator

I have got some extra cash and it is burning a hole in my pocket. The problem is I can't make up my mind on what rifle to buy. Back in the old days it was a lot easier, there were as many choices. Anyway, a friend was in the LGS yesterday and we got to talking about what I had bought lately and I told Dicky I was having a problem making up my mind. I have been on the fence over the 6.5 PRC for a couple of years now I'm not so sure I need one. Dicky has a 6.5 PRC and really likes it and has offered to let me take it out for a test drive. He also has 6.5 Grendel which my friend Mike has been talking with me about. Mike has gotten me interested in the Grendel. Well as Dicky and were talking about the Grendel he told me of his new favorite, the 6 mm ARC. Now I have another caliber to add to my list to evaluate. Last night I read about the 6 mm ARC and it sounds interesting.

The question of the day is had any rifleman here had any experience with the 6 mm ARC.
I’ll offer up a couple of tidbits. Are you looking at an AR style gun or a bolt action gun? While the cartridge was designed to be used in a gas gun with the appropriate pressures for those guns....there is also load data for bolt action rifles with increased pressures and velocities. The main reason is the bolt face on the AR guns has been opened up to accommodate the larger case diameter of the Grendel/ARC case. This leaves very little meat behind the lugs. While the ARC case can handle the higher pressures, the bolt lugs may not. So if you reload you need to keep it real in regards to data and pressure. Also, in my particular gun, I had an issue of the previously fired cases not sizing down enough unless I got serious about cam over when setting my dies up.

bullgator

Thanks Bull, I was looking at a bolt action. I like the idea of the mini action rifles and something small and handy to carry.
That should be a nice setup without the issues of a semiauto. Minimal for pigs and deer IMHO, but ideal for anything below that.

wallacem

About the 6mmARC, If you plan to be shooting 500-1000 yards, yes, it is good. If you don't plan to be shooting that far, no, t is a waste of expensive ammo. Wallacem in Ga