A question about squatters getting title to your home.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
And it might happen.

Once.

DannyW

Do you have a link to that website?
Is there a form to fill out?
I want to know also. I just spent 20 minutes searching for it without success. I found several pay sites that will do that but nothing for free.

Apparently this is know as 'Homeowner Notification Programs'. I found this type of free service in other states, California and Louisiana, but not Georgia.

I did find a good tip while researching. If your water bill, or other utility, suddenly doesn't show up, don't assume it was a billing error. Take action because this is one of the first warning signs most homeowners get.

BeerThirty

Just FYI, most identity insurance companies offer title protection now.

Could you imagine someone knocking on your front door with sheriff and eviction notice to get out of THEIR house?!

sleepr71

Everybody should own a Backhoe,or Excavator…or at least have one on speed dial. You won’t be squattin fer long…

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Good info., took me 18 months to get a squatter out of a house I inherited from my late aunt. And the squatter had no legal paperwork stating she could be there.

pjciii

Good info., took me 18 months to get a squatter out of a house I inherited from my late aunt. And the squatter had no legal paperwork stating she could be there.
This is just hard to believe that they are so brazen and as the owner the system makes difficult. I read an article about a woman that was on vacation and squatters moved in. She finally got so frustrated she turned the home back to the bank and walked away.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
This is just hard to believe that they are so brazen and as the owner the system makes difficult. I read an article about a woman that was on vacation and squatters moved in. She finally got so frustrated she turned the home back to the bank and walked away.
Our squatter was as sorry as they come, she couldn’t afford the power bill and called begging me to pay it. Of course I didn’t. She also sold my aunts car that was in my aunts name and a newer lawn mower. She finally left the home, but it was months before she could legally be evicted and I could take ownership.

basshappy

BANNED
@fireman32 well I don't know how you had the patience because when I think about a stranger squatting in homes owned by my family members my blood boils.

SarahFair

Not a squatter, but something yall might want to be aware of, especially if you have land you don't check on very frequently...

My father recently got a text from his neighbor at the lake asking if he was selling his property with a picture of a Remax for sale sign out with a legitimate realtor.

My dad immediately drove up there and called the number on the sign and introduced himself as the actual owner...
She said she knew something was weird because the guy lived in FL, had an accent, and that he could not be at any closing because he's frequently in NY on business, but he had answers to all her questions and produced all the paperwork to get the selling process started.

My dad called the police to report it, and they said that's the 3rd one in that county this year it's happened to.

The guy requested the property be sold at a price that was well under value, probably so it happened fast in hopes my father wouldn't notice.

He has title insurance, but no one could really tell him how it would have played out if a sale went through. :huh:

westcobbdog

Another scammer who goes by Thomas Carrick claims to own former member Doenightmare's home in Roswell. As the current listing agent I have had 3 diff contractor interactions where this jackleg had them go over to the home for quotes to renovate roof, driveway ect. Happy it closed Friday.

tr21

Just FYI, most identity insurance companies offer title protection now.

Could you imagine someone knocking on your front door with sheriff and eviction notice to get out of THEIR house?!
I can guarantee you, THEY WONT BE STANDING THERE LONG ! If you have the berries to STEAL a mans house you better have a set of stainless steal ones to accept the consequences of doing so !

tr21

Another scammer who goes by Thomas Carrick claims to own former member Doenightmare's home in Roswell. As the current listing agent I have had 3 diff contractor interactions where this jackleg had them go over to the home for quotes to renovate roof, driveway ect. Happy it closed Friday.
And this man is still alive ? WHY ?

tr21

Our squatter was as sorry as they come, she couldn’t afford the power bill and called begging me to pay it. Of course I didn’t. She also sold my aunts car that was in my aunts name and a newer lawn mower. She finally left the home, but it was months before she could legally be evicted and I could take ownership.
you place signs on the door that the house is infested with bugs and you will be having it sprayed on a date and the house will be uninhabitable for a week after being treated with a highly carcinogenic chemical ! And on that date you spray the house with the nastiest smelling stuff you can find ! problem solved......

Lukikus2

I can’t stop them from trying but I can break them of making it a habit

I have a firm rule. You have no mail sent to that address and no ID’s changed to that address. Get a PO Box. I have physically thrown out three at different times and they called the cops. All of their belongings were outside the home. Including tooth brushes. Agreed to have their belongings put in storage and pay the first months rent. No eviction notice other than verbally. I have a deep respect for officers that have to put their butt on the line for domestic squabble.

Lukikus2

you place signs on the door that the house is infested with bugs and you will be having it sprayed on a date and the house will be uninhabitable for a week after being treated with a highly carcinogenic chemical ! And on that date you spray the house with the nastiest smelling stuff you can find ! problem solved......

In some instances you can’t make it smell any worse. I sometimes wonder why people choose to be that lazy.