A question

Dominic

Banned
. In my experiences 99 out of 100 people dont go there to truly learn and listen, they talk and text message and read magazines.

I have heard this excuse before, and it makes me ask: what does it matter what everyone else in the church is doing?

I have attended a Mass before and had the folks around me talking, chewing gum, spending text, and everything else. It did not matter one bit to me, I was to busy worshiping.

Do not let others around you set the example of how to behave or act in church.

Do not get caught in looking down on others because they are not doing the same you. You do what you do, you mind your own or someone else will mind it for you.

FireHunter174

Absolutely, you can be a Christian without attending church.

My family attends church as much as we can, which is usually Sunday morning/night and Wednesday evening. I can't claim 100%of the time, though. Kids get sick and stuff.

There are plenty of misguided churches and people who go for the wrong reasons, but that has nothing to do with you. If you truly seek the Lord and His way, then find a church that moves you. Sometimes it takes going to a few churches to find one where the Holy Spirit is truly at work.

As a child and up through my teenage years, I attended a few different churches. The first church we ever attended was awesome. Jimmy Franks was our preacher and he was on fire for the Lord. We then moved and I was disappointed in the churches I had found in the area. It was more like having a book-reading and hearing Bible stories than real preaching. I drifted away from the Lord for quite a while. I wasn't living right and I knew it.
Well, my wife and I met in 1999 and we fell in love. We both had Christian upbringings, but had not attended church for years.

Well, we have been blessed with 3 great kids since getting married in 2001. We finally found a home church as of a couple of years ago, and we love it. And it is non-denominational. I consider myself a Christian- nothing else. I think names and variances separate all of the Christians out there.

I also know some Christians that do not attend church, and some of them can quote the Bible like nothing else. For some, I think solitary reading and studying of the Word works. There are fewer distractions and they can focus better. But, even they attend church every now and again.
Personally, I think its healthy to attend church at least most of the time. Our church has been blessed and it seems like every service is revival. And, I'm a pretty stubborn individual. But, almost every service I've attended lately, it seems I can't help but tear up. And our preacher never misses a beat, I believe he's truly been called.

And, if you have children, I would strongly recommend getting them in a good church. That's where the seed is planted. They may stray like I did, but the foundation will be there and they will be drawn back into the light when the realize what is missing in their lives.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I agree with you fireHunter.

There are lots of people looking for church home these day.
They are searching for something that helps fulfill their spiritual needs.
Some find it in the bells and whistles.
Some are looking to go back to the very basic spiritual church of
the 1st century. A church that hasn't 'modernized'.

Everyone misses church from time to time. Many times they don't
have a very good reason for missing.
But if a person doesn't want/like to go to church, they won't be very happy in heaven.

reezenshooter

I have heard this excuse before, and it makes me ask: what does it matter what everyone else in the church is doing?

I have attended a Mass before and had the folks around me talking, chewing gum, spending text, and everything else. It did not matter one bit to me, I was to busy worshiping.

Do not let others around you set the example of how to behave or act in church.Do not get caught in looking down on others because they are not doing the same you. You do what you do, you mind your own or someone else will mind it for you.

I certainly dont use them as examples

And I didnt mean to come off as saying that I am judging them for their actions, thats not my place nor do I want it to be, just stating that it distracts me, I got that "cant focus too long disease."

And before it is said that this is another ..."excuse"...its not. Reread my original post, im not trying to justify my actions with an excuse, just stating my opinion as asked by the owner of this thread.

One more thing since im already typing, Im kinda getting the idea from a few that Heaven is not open to people who dont go to Church, did i misread something or isnt the most important relationship between me and God?

I think a few believe when someone says they dont go to church that it means they dont worship...thats certainly not the case, I believe I would quite enjoy Heaven

sgtgacop

I'm a church goer except on the weekend I have to work which is every other one. There isn't any where in the Bible that says the only way to the father is by church. It's says by Jesus Christ. Now that being said I believe you should attend Church for several reasons. Hearing the word is strengthening, It's great to be around Christian brothers and sisters. I need that word from God through my pastor and other church leaders to help me through the week. Now if your such a strong Christian that you can not go to church and stay home and read the Bible and pray and be the best Christian you can be I applaud you. Again to me if you can go hunting, fishing or to a ballgame then certainly pleasing God by meeting with his other children and hearing the word he has for you is as just as important. Should be more.

Dominic

Banned
I certainly dont use them as examples

And I didnt mean to come off as saying that I am judging them for their actions, thats not my place nor do I want it to be, just stating that it distracts me, I got that "cant focus too long disease."

And before it is said that this is another ..."excuse"...its not. Reread my original post, im not trying to justify my actions with an excuse, just stating my opinion as asked by the owner of this thread.

One more thing since im already typing, Im kinda getting the idea from a few that Heaven is not open to people who dont go to Church, did i misread something or isnt the most important relationship between me and God?

I think a few believe when someone says they dont go to church that it means they dont worship...thats certainly not the case, I believe I would quite enjoy Heaven

I did not mean that to be directed at you, I just quoted it because it was something I had seen before. You may worship how you like, I was just saying many people use others as an excuse for not doing something.

I cannot tell you who will and will not make it to heaven, I can only do what I do.

Israel

BANNED
What is worship?
What, or more precisely, who...is the church?
When do we go to church? Or again, more precisely, when do we come to church?
Is every meeting house a congregation of the church? (Even if it puts the name "Jesus" over the door?)
Does it avail a disciple anything to gather with those who, by their own admissions and doctrinal expressions, have purposed to usurp the sole ministry of the Holy Spirit, to wit, reveal the Lord Jesus Christ?
Or does the Holy Spirit testify to something else? Like the "rightness" of our denomination?

Do you think all the "doing" of a thing, be it meeting house attendance, tithing, giving, going door to door for evangelization gives you more to talk about of your own works and may actually do your soul more harm than good?

When I go to a bar, I have yet to say "I do this for the Lord's sake".
When I go to a "church" meeting and make that my proclamation..."I do this in obedience to Christ..." then it sure is funny how the folks across the street, down the block a few hundred feet and around the corner, too, all go to their meeting house to testify just how divided Jesus is.
Really not funny at all.
If God has given you other faithful disciples with which to gather (and more who may need to be encouraged to become so) rejoice that the Lord has mercifully given this to you as a gift, an act of grace, a favor... and please shut up about "what you do".

christianhunter

First,I don't get to go to Church everytime the doors are open.I long to be in fellowship with my Brethren.THE LORD knows the heart of a man.Sunday worship and Wednesday night worship,are great.We all must remember,there are 5 more days in the week.What we do with those other 5 days,holds us just as accountable as Sunday and Wednesday.

reezenshooter

I did not mean that to be directed at you, I just quoted it because it was something I had seen before. You may worship how you like, I was just saying many people use others as an excuse for not doing something.

I cannot tell you who will and will not make it to heaven, I can only do what I do.

Amen, I read your previous post the wrong way. Be blessed brother

Inthegarge

If a person attends ONLY because they feel it's required then they are there for the wrong reason. If they attend to worship and enjoy being around God's people then they are on to something. If you can't worship in the church your at, find another. God has a church for you.

That being said..... I don't believe God is going to pull out a book and tell you that you missed "X" amount of Sundays.

He will ask 1) Did you know My Son ?? and 2) Did you do what I asked you to do ??

I have been in and seen too many legalistic churches that worry more about attendance (read that numbers) then Souls................JMHCO RW

crackerdave

Is everyone that goes to church a Christian:huh:?

Absolutely not.

Ask yourselves this question: If there were such thing as a "Perfect Church," would they let me in?:huh:

As for the public behavior of deacons and their families: Deacons are more often chosen for their popularity than for their biblical qualifications,from what I've seen. The Bible is crystal clear on what is expected from a deacon/pastor/teacher.
The un-Christlike behavior of Christians - especially leaders in the church - is the main thing that keeps so many away from church.That is just as true for a forum such as this: We influence thousands of people who read what we write here,and we WILL be held accountable for that - good or bad.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Can a person be a Christian and not attend church?What is everyone's thoughts on this subject?

In other words, is it possible that a Christian could be permanently satisfied in not joining in with other Christians to worship God and pray together and take Lord's Supper from time to time.

No it's not possible.
It defies the call of the very Spirit that should dwell in them.

polkhunt

Banned
If you are a Christian you are the church or at least a part of it if you choose to not worship with other believers I am not sure what message that sends to other believers. I would say God cares more about what you do to advance his kingdom out in the world than when you go to a worship service. I have a longing and a desire to go so I cannot relate to that feeling of not wanting to go worship together.

christianhunter

Has any one ever given any thought to reasons,some may not go to Church.It is not the desire not to go,but other things that may hinder some from going.

Israel

BANNED
is it good to encourage others to eat food offered to idols?

CAL

In other words, is it possible that a Christian could be permanently satisfied in not joining in with other Christians to worship God and pray together and take Lord's Supper from time to time.

No it's not possible.
It defies the call of the very Spirit that should dwell in them.

No,it is not in other words!I never mentioned or suggested a person be permanently satisfied in not joining in with Christians to worship God.Just because you attend church doesn't make you a Christian.Neither being a preacher make you any better Christian than the next. If so,please explain.
Have you forgotten what Jesus said the way to the Father is? John 14;6 !Where did He say you had to attend church to do this?

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
No,it is not in other words!I never mentioned or suggested a person be permanently satisfied in not joining in with Christians to worship God.Just because you attend church doesn't make you a Christian.Neither being a preacher make you any better Christian than the next. If so,please explain.
Have you forgotten what Jesus said the way to the Father is? John 14;6 !Where did He say you had to attend church to do this?

Then please elaborate on your original question for me and everyone else please.

If your asking if a person can miss church assemblies from time to time and still be a Christian:::: Absolutely he can.

I believe a person can have a job that prevents him from being at all assemblies.

I honestly thought your question was addressing a person who simply chose not to attend church as a part of their Christian life.

There are a million reasons why a well-intended Christian might not be able to be at every assembly.

My bad.