A very difficult thing to do when deer hunting.

Blackston

My huntin buddy gives me a hard time ... He says “ You don’t pass anything when you take lil Blackston “ .... He’s teaching his youngn to be a trophy hunter , I’m tryin to raise a lifetime hunting partner ( His youngn hardly ever wants to go , mine gets mad if I leave him )

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My huntin buddy gives me a hard time ... He says “ You don’t pass anything when you take lil Blackston “ .... He’s teaching his youngn to be a trophy hunter , I’m tryin to raise a lifetime hunting partner ( His youngn hardly ever wants to go , mine gets mad if I leave him )
Blackston one of my all time favorite hunts . My daughter was about 4 and I had her in a double ladder stand and a small buck with one side broken off that I’d never shoot steps out . I was teaching her how to look through the scope and when she figured it out she snatched her head around and said shoot him daddy . I told her to cover her ears lol

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have never understood why it is difficult to pass on bucks . I have not shot a buck since 2018 and it does not bother me one bit. I guess everyone is wired different.
Yes, everyone has different goals when it comes to everything. But remember, many of us come from a time when there wasn't many deer. So, we had years of having to shoot whatever showed up, no matter the size if it was legal. In Florida back in the day, a buck had to have at least one antler five inches long to be legal. Most every time I saw one he was a short horn. Deer hunting today is much easier than it used to be. And look at all the products we don't need that we can spend money on.

jcofer

I remember in GA. an antler had break the skin to be legal - shoot anything that was legal. That is what hooked me. Glad to have come up in that time. The good lord blessed us this replenishing resource that keeps us interested. Let youngsters choose their path and praise them for their accomplishments. You will have a hunting partner for life. After all , hunting is real - video games are not.

huntersluck

Yes, everyone has different goals when it comes to everything. But remember, many of us come from a time when there wasn't many deer. So, we had years of having to shoot whatever showed up, no matter the size if it was legal. In Florida back in the day, a buck had to have at least one antler five inches long to be legal. Most every time I saw one he was a short horn. Deer hunting today is much easier than it used to be. And look at all the products we don't need that we can spend money on.
Yea I’m 52 ,started hunting when I was 12 my goals and what is a challenge to me has definitely changed

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had two young bucks around the blind today, managed to get a photo of one. He has beams with little short points. The other was a spike. It was raining so I had the buggy right up to the blind door. Had to stand up to see over the buggy to get the photo. He was eating acorns. I've seen him a couple times before.

Attachments

• buggy buck.jpeg
    buggy buck.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 81

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
If I keep passing on younger bucks, might not get that second buck this season. Here's hoping my luck changes. Camera gets some nice bucks, but they are not walking daylight right now. Need a doe to drag them around.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yes, I look for 3.5 year olds but my tastes are changing. It just needs to be a decent buck weighed against the amount of venison I have left in the freezer.

Nimrod71

I once hunted one deer for 2 years. I passed any number of deer hoping to get a shot on this giant 10 point. I had seen him several times in a soybean field in the middle of the day or when I was leaving the woods. Holding out for this one deer really made me sweat some time, watching smaller 8 and 10 points walking off. I don't know what ever happened to the giant no one ever said they got a shot on him or killed him.

Reactions: Son

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My club once had a buck everyone was hoping to get. They called him Mr. White Horns. He may have been killed off property, but we didn't get him during the several years he was seen on us. I bet half the club shot at that buck Then along came the Big Eight we called him, took me three years to pull the trigger on him. Posting a photo of the Big Eight, 21.5 inches wide.

Attachments

• Best Ga, Mayhaw Ga.jpg
    Best Ga, Mayhaw Ga.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 67

earlthegoat2

Lately I have been OK with holding out for older bucks. There are so many does, I won’t go hungry.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I’ve been tagged out since the 1st week of November. And I’ve been in the woods every weekend except 1 since bow season. I like watching deer.

My boat is calling my name!

Havana Dude

The region of Florida I hunt in now has an antler restriction of at least 3 points on one side or 10” main beam. Been that way for a few years now. I personally think it’s helped a great deal. Back in the day, the rule was one horn, one inch or more visible above the hairline. No kidding, I killed a bunch of them, and most needed a tape measure put on them. I do my best to shoot mature 8’s or better. Once in a while I mess up, but not too often.

kingfish

My region of NW Florida is the same. I think the new regulations helped me become a better hunter. Used to be that I would find sign and then set up shop. Killed a bunch of deer too, but mostly small. Now, I've been looking for more quality sign and am a bit more thorough before I commit to a spot. It's paid off for me as the last 4 bucks I've taken have all been 8pts. The one I got this year was pretty good for public land both horns and body weight. Not a trophy hunter by any stretch, but I've let a couple state legal shooters go now with no ill side effects. My goal is one per season so I'm good with anything the state allows. Not going to lie to you, killing a nice 8pt is always pretty cool !!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Depends, where you are and what your goals are for sure. I’ve always said if I saw a bunch of pigs at my WMA, I’d pick one and let the rest go. If I was at sons place, I believe the order of the day is to kill as many as possible, like shooting rats. I’d be ok either way. In KY, my cousin told me to take whatever I wanted, but I already told myself any buck would be a grown one unless it had some funky horns going on. Here in Ga on public land I wont shoot a doe(probably), but the first spike I see is gonna get it!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have never understood why it is difficult to pass on bucks . I have not shot a buck since 2018 and it does not bother me one bit. I guess everyone is wired different.
Not to poke huntersluck, but about how many deer have you killed? I’d bet at least several or more. I got a pretty good idea how many Son has killed…….it’s a whole lot of them too! Many hunters including my self have not killed many deer. I’d say more hunters haven’t kill a bunch of deer, than those that have. It’s tough to let your first or second buck walk, and age has nothing to do with it.