A very difficult thing to do when deer hunting.

across the river

I haven’t killed a buck in 10 years or so. If it isn’t bigger that what I’ve already killed, I see no need in shooting one. Got plenty of does, if I need some venison. With that said, I have taken several kids, including my own, and sat with them as they killed there first buck. I’d rather watch them whack a small buck than kill one myself. If you’ve killed a pile of deer and have a box full of racks at home, I don’t think it is hard to hold off at all. What’s another 15 or 16 inch low 100” 8 point rack going to do other than collect dust with the rest of them in the attic. If you have never killed one, or killed very few bucks, then it is much harder to hold off. I have a couple of deer I killed as a kid mounted that I would think about shooting now. Things change as you get older.

huntersluck

Not to poke huntersluck, but about how many deer have you killed? I’d bet at least several or more. I got a pretty good idea how many Son has killed…….it’s a whole lot of them too! Many hunters including my self have not killed many deer. I’d say more hunters haven’t kill a bunch of deer, than those that have. It’s tough to let your first or second buck walk, and age has nothing to do with it.
Yea I know everyone is at a different point in their hunting . I can certainly understand if you have not killed many bucks that it would be difficult to let one walk. I was tremendously blessed to have leased a great piece of property for 30 years but lost it several years ago to being sold. I never was one to kill a tremendous amount of deer but I have killed several and several good bucks so my perspective is different from others. I am at the point where if I need meat I will kill a doe otherwise I will wait on a decent buck. I hold nothing against how anyone wants to hunt if someone wants to kill a spike and it makes them happy I say go for it I will congratulate them just the same as if it were a booner.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've recently passed on a big bodied rack buck. I couldn't tell if his right side was deformed, or all the points were broken. Well, we finally got a photo showing they are broken. Will continue to let him go, in hopes he has a full rack when and if seen next season. An 8 that I had finally started having and urge to shoot. A club member got him the other day, and he was better than what I thought. Just today, I have relocated, it's my last try to find those old bucks I had on camera before the season began. I may not get one of them, but I never give up. I've seen more young bucks this season than ever before. Even saw a doe with one white front leg. Having fun, but wish it was a bit cooler.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My view in the woods today. A great area with good visibility, surrounded by cypress ponds and thick woods. I've gotten some fine bucks in this area over the years. I'm high in a huge live oak, doubt if any deer will ever spot me in this setup. It's quite a hike from the nearest road. Why are I here now? Because it's ate up with big deer and hog tracks. Hoping the old piebald 8 is hanging out in there. He's left where he was using. Or maybe he was taken by someone across the property line. Never know.

Attachments

• Doc's.jpeg
    Doc's.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Piefiveold.jpg
    Piefiveold.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 23