Aero Precision AR10, first impressions

menhadenman

Well, I made the scope adjustments and dropped in the new trigger before heading to NC. Played around with a stony point gauge (probably a waste) and took some measurements. Ended up loading some 140s at 2.800 OAL tonight and will give them a whirl tomorrow.

menhadenman

Got back out today, tried some 120 BTHP and more 140 ELDMs over StaBall and H4350. The gun is a hoot but I still hope to get something a little more consistent. I think the primer issue was related to the primers. I bet these particular WLR are 30 years old... only say that because I had misfires with a 30-06 bolt gun today.

Back to the Aero... the 120s shot pretty good, 1 MOA for 5 shot groups. The 140s were really different, H4350 didn’t seem to do as well as the StaBall. I’ve had opposite results in two bolt guns. I’ll load up some more 120s and 140s over StaBall for one more range trip. The group with 44 grains looked good, we’ll see if that’s a one-off.

Also found that loading to mag length is giving me trouble. I had the 120s a little shorter and they cycled perfect.

CB7CA634-B1E9-4616-9C99-7C3457B79442.jpeg5253510A-31CA-4EAD-ABFE-A0294BAFDFD4.jpeg

Reactions: Dub

menhadenman

check the water capacity of both cases with a primer upside down if you can or leave the fired one in there

I'm nervous that you're going to turn me into one of them guys that sorts his brass by weight facepalm:! I checked a couple fired cases and the Hornady brass (53.2) had about 1.6+ grains more capacity of H2O compared to the Nosler brass (51.6). I'm guessing that's enough to slow it down a little (more capacity, less pressure) and maybe push me out of the node?

menhadenman

Sent some more downrange with the AR10... I believe @Jester896 is right about the brass and @BriarPatch99 was also right about the misfires. On the brass, I tested Win, R-P, Hornady, and Nosler... poor groups with the load tested (1-2”) but I could tell a difference. Also had some misfires again but only with the Nosler brass... firing pin wasn’t getting to the primer. The BCG was a little filthy but other rounds shot fine. I may toss that Nosler brass (found it at the range anyhow).

Also tested some 130 TMKs over StaBall and had some good results. Next step is to load up the four combos I think will shoot and settle on which ones I should crank a few hundred of and be done with tinkering. I like the gun plenty but as expected it’s heavy and not capable of shooting like a bolt. But it’s capable of MOA and will be fun to own.

C706850F-2BFD-4E43-8C3C-3AD3680DF288.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
why is the Nosler brass so different? Is the datum line the same on them as other cases? all you need to do is develop the load in each case to get the same result ;)

menhadenman

why is the Nosler brass so different? Is the datum line the same on them as other cases? all you need to do is develop the load in each case to get the same result ;)

I'm baffled why the Nosler brass is the only one giving me trouble... only FL size all my loads so not sure. Will make some measurements to see what in the world is going on. I'll sling a few from a bolt gun too.

menhadenman

it could be a slight headspace issue on some of them. Nosler Is pretty tough I use it for my 6.5WSM.

Alright - I took an unfired Hornady American Gunner factory load (that shoots great in the AR10) and compared it to one of the Nosler reloads I was having trouble with. Here are a few measurements... looks like the headspace is it, but also that the Nosler case is all around "bigger" compared to the Hornady. This has to be the most likely culprit in my misfires.

@Jester896 , can you tell me why the FL resize isn't getting me back to spec?

1645799539865.png

Jester896

Senior Clown
from the looks of your measurements the Nosler case was probably fired in a chamber larger/deeper than yours. 1 thing that could be creating the issues depending on clearances is it may not be going all the way into battery. Do you have a forward assist? .011 might be too much for it. You may not be sizing the case for this rifle. The factory case probably didn't stretch to the depth of the chamber on the first firing...Hornady doesn't seem to for me anyway. It may be that you just aren't pushing the shoulder back far enough for this rifle.

menhadenman

from the looks of your measurements the Nosler case was probably fired in a chamber larger/deeper than yours. 1 thing that could be creating the issues depending on clearances is it may not be going all the way into battery. Do you have a forward assist? .011 might be too much for it. You may not be sizing the case for this rifle. The factory case probably didn't stretch to the depth of the chamber on the first firing...Hornady doesn't seem to for me anyway. It may be that you just aren't pushing the shoulder back far enough for this rifle.
I think you are right... I picked up those Nosler cases at a range (next to two boxes of what looked like once-fired brass tossed into the bin). I have a forward assist but it didn't cut the mustard. I think you are right that it wasn't engaged all the way.
I may see how they do in my bolt guns rather than toss em out.

menhadenman

Tried a few more loads and figured out the misfire issue (too much shoulder on the Nosler brass)... got a nice 5 shot group earlier, vertical spread so maybe a little more powder for one more trip. This was with the 140s and StaBall. Pretty windy out too.

Really like the LaRue MBT trigger.

44E82CE3-E409-4C88-815A-3C62B0E7F024.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
I guess it is good that it wasn't blown out at the head...either one would not let it go into battery. They must have been fired in a deep chamber.

Latest posts