All in favor of state wide QDM Say I !!!!!

Spinkaleo

No Way!!

I have a daughter that I am teaching to hunt. I want her to be able to shoot the first deer that she has the chance. I don't want to say no to shooting one after having been in the woods on numerous occasion and no luck. I hunt in a club with restrictions for the purpose of taking a big buck and carry my daughter to another property that has no restrictions. Let the guy who is hunting make the decision on what a trophy is.

Wang Dang

My son took his first buck this year. It was a 3 pointer. To him it was the trophy of a lifetime. Heck, it was the trophy of his lifetime. It was a great experience for me as well. It would have been awful to have missed out on that exciting moment because the deer didn't measure up to a certain standard. It would have been heart wrenching to have had to tell him he could not shoot that deer.

H

HT2

Dang Wack!!!!!!!

We that think like this are the "MINORITY"..............Watch it.........Lots of these fellers will get down right ill as a hornet........ :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

But on a side note.........

I'D VOTE FOR IT IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I'm all for it as long as there is an exception for a youth wanting to kill their 1st buck that does not meet QDM standards.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
HT2 said:
We that think like this are the "MINORITY"..............Watch it.........Lots of these fellers will get down right ill as a hornet........ :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

But on a side note.........

I'D VOTE FOR IT IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Tim - I don't think any non-QDM person is angry with anyone who chooses to utilize this method on their land and in their own clubs - I think the only time people get that ill is when the mandated QDM is attempted to be crammed down their throats and the way they may choose to hunt is belittled and degraded because it doesn't fit into a very narrow box of deer hunting -- Yes - I think thats what makes people mad...

Meriwether Mike

NO!! We all ready have some limits on the bucks that can be taken now and I think this is the best compromise between the two viewpoints.

Grand Slam

Not saying yes or no, but I think it would pay to go and watch at your local processor for just an hour. See what kind of deer are brought in and the kind of hunters that bring them in. :banginghe It may influence you one way or the other.

Georgia Hard Hunter

I personally would love to see more /bigger bucks in the woods, but I'm not sure its all hunters motavation. My 11-year old took his first buck yesterday a 7-pointer with a 12" spread, not a trophy in anyone's book but HIS. You are right if you want meat kill Does but too assume that all hunters are after that big rack is not correct. There has to be laws that cover everbodys idea of how the deer should be managed but mainly be right for the deer heard we are trying to hunt/manage/protect

Negative!

A "Nay" vote for me! I applaud and respect QDM principles. They are great for those with large tracts of land to manage and large amounts of time to hunt, prepare food plots, etc. Many of you on this forum are experienced, in fact, "elite" hunters with ample time and opportunity to harvest the big bucks. I applaud and respect you, too, and am enjoying learning from you on this forum. Myself, I am a busy person with a demanding professional life (and a wife and son with certain expectations!) My 3 or 4 weekends per season that I get to go to middle Georgia and hunt my family farm do not allow me the time to set up for the big buck. I will shoot him if I see him but what I see is nice, meaty little doe-sized spikes. I shoot one for meat purposes and then hope to get a doe or something with at least garage-quality antlers. The does that I see usually turn out to be buttons once I put the binos on them. :bounce: Maybe when I retire I can adopt more of a QDM approach.

mikey

no not every county is the same. maybe increase the number of QDM counties

NotaVegetarian

Welcome to the fire there Mikey, PM sent

I have to vote No. I concur with Mikey’s, and some of the others logic. Maybe more QDM co-ops, they work, more QDM counties. This could be a very busy subject.

Thanatos

Bad idea to give the state even more power than it already has. Owning private land is essiential for our way of life in america. The more power you give the state the less private your land becomes.

hunterb

But by going statewide on anter restrictions would take way from a kids first spike, or 4 point.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this 100% and the state has the 4pts on one side rule in effect as it is, I am a trophy hunter, but not allowing huntings future to make their first harvest a 1-1/2 old buck a bit wrong in my eyes.

kcausey

Banned
OK the way it is

For me, i would like nothing better than QDM for both bucks statewide. For my 19 month old that will be looking for his 1st deer in 6-7 years, he needs to be able to kill a spike, 4 pt, etc. That will also take away the option to cull bad gene bucks at the end of the season.
KIP

Slayer

no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why turn something that is suppose to be a family/friend orientated activity into a strictly competitive one?????

with it getting harder and harder to find good land to hunt on for the "common" person, qoing strictly QDM statewide would only hurt the majority of the hunters ...why drive people futher away from an already declining priveledge????

I vote YEA! Instead of spike,three point,or six being your kids first buck at 8,It could be an eight point at 9.Try it for a few years.

RJY66

I probably would vote no.

It seems like GA has a pretty good balance although I am not sure that does are not overharvested....but that is just me. Also, ya'lls lease prices would probably go up even more if Ga became known as a "trophy only" state. Take SC for instance. Lots of people love to hunt there because baiting is legal, there is no limit on bucks, and they start killing them in August. Geez, talk about the "anti qdm state". They have gone much too far in the other direction imo. Anyway, I digress....the point is that the leases are high over there because of their lax rules and would go up here should "trophy only" be mandated imo.

I find it curious that the main objection is that "my kid can't shoot a 4pt or a spike for his first deer". Why not make him or her wait for the big one or "just shoot a doe". You boys make it sound like there is a flathead behind every other tree where you hunt anyway. Great way to teach the kid discipline, and what will be expected of him in the future. Besides, hunting in Ga seems to be going that way and the kid may as well get used to it.