Arrow Wraps

James12

I’ve never used these before, but recently saw a guy remove them when refletching using boiling water quickly, and it sure would beat the heck out of scraping carbon for me. I know some use them for show, others to see blood better…. Any of you guys use them? Or don’t, for a specific reason?

ddd-shooter

I’ve never used these before, but recently saw a guy remove them when refletching using boiling water quickly, and it sure would beat the heck out of scraping carbon for me. I know some use them for show, others to see blood better…. Any of you guys use them? Or don’t, for a specific reason?
Used for a while, got to be a headache for me. Every time I needed to refletch a single vane, I’d have to rewrap. I’m too picky.
Also, if there’s any damage behind the wrap, you’ll never know it.

Plenty use them and love them, but not me. I’ve scraped carbon for years and years. I’ll continue that way.

James12

Used for a while, got to be a headache for me. Every time I needed to refletch a single vane, I’d have to rewrap. I’m too picky.
Also, if there’s any damage behind the wrap, you’ll never know it.

Plenty use them and love them, but not me. I’ve scraped carbon for years and years. I’ll continue that way.

Yea admittedly, Ive always struggled to get arrows cleaned up without often damaging them to be refletched. I rarely if ever replace the one.

Pruitt1

I've used them for a good while they seem easier to refletch if your doing the whole arrow. The hot water thing works well. I do fletch without also lean to the without more and more. I try to shoot at spots instead of trying to group arrows nowadays it saves fletching. As far as visibility the wraps do help with locating an arrow in tall grass/weeds better.

Hunter922

Spray paint has worked for me since the 80's. Tape off the vanes or apply and put them in the Bitzenburger.....

Kris87

I use them for the fact they're easier for vanes to adhere to. If I lose a vane, I simply cut off the small amount of wrap where the vane was and lay another piece of wrap down and then refletch just one vane there. Never had a problem doing it this way and saves from having to redo the whole thing.

Also, leave a small gap on the back of the shaft so you can see damage. Don't wrap all the way to the nock.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I always thoroughly cleaned the shafts and glued the vanes directly on the shafts.
Never replaced just one vane.
Clean the end of the shaft, inspect and install 3 new vanes.

James12

I use them for the fact they're easier for vanes to adhere to. If I lose a vane, I simply cut off the small amount of wrap where the vane was and lay another piece of wrap down and then refletch just one vane there. Never had a problem doing it this way and saves from having to redo the whole thing.

Also, leave a small gap on the back of the shaft so you can see damage. Don't wrap all the way to the nock.

Great advice. I didn’t do that but will next time.

Attachments

• IMG_6335.jpeg
    IMG_6335.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 11

James12

I always thoroughly cleaned the shafts and glued the vanes directly on the shafts.
Never replaced just one vane.
Clean the end of the shaft, inspect and install 3 new vanes.

I’ve also just replaced all 3. Just hate the glue scraping and I demo’d taking a wrap off and much much easier! Will definitely save me 2-3 arrows over time I think.

notnksnemor

I’ve also just replaced all 3. Just hate the glue scraping and I demo’d taking a wrap off and much much easier! Will definitely save me 2-3 arrows over time I think.
Emery cloth cleans the shafts up pretty quick.
Scrape the vane off and buff with a strip of emery cloth.
I never was good at getting the edges of wraps to line up right and didn't like the edge if overlapping them.

James12

Emery cloth cleans the shafts up pretty quick.
Scrape the vane off and buff with a strip of emery cloth.
I never was good at getting the edges of wraps to line up right and didn't like the edge if overlapping them.

These turned out nice. Shoot not differently than my others that I can tell. Excited to make em’ red!

Attachments

• IMG_6525.jpeg
    IMG_6525.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6654.jpeg
    IMG_6654.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 10

notnksnemor

These turned out nice. Shoot not differently than my others that I can tell. Excited to make em’ red!
Good looking sticks.
I like the nocks you're using.
I've seen a lot of people with the nocks that you can actually hear snap on the string.
If it snaps on, it has to snap off.

Do you sand your nocks?

Last edited:

notnksnemor

No sir - just an AAE IP nocks
Picking nits I know, but it's bringing back good memories.
On my personal shafts, I would sand the nocks to fit the serving on the string.
Sand it till you could nock it, hold it pointed down and the arrow would hold on the string and just a light tap would knock it off.

Like I said, thanks for letting me reminisce.