Auto Insurance for teen

Buford_Dawg

Ok, who has teen drivers? My son is turning 16 this month and I just checked on adding him to my insurance as well as discussing with my insurance agent the idea of me giving him my truck and me purchasing another vehicle. I about fell off my chair when the insurance agent quoted me the 6 month rate (over 1k per 6 months). Who has a reasonable insurance company that favors teen drivers (if there are any)? And was there anything else you did to save $$$ when your kid started driving. We have the good grades and drivers ed courses. I was under impression that I could keep the vehicles in my name on the insurance and he be the occasional driver of my vehicles but my insurance tells me if I buy a 3rd vehicle that one of the vehicles automatically goes into my son's name.

Bob Shaw

When my son turned 16, my insurance agent (jokingly) called his wife to tell her to go ahead and book the Europe trip.

secondseason

Retired Administrator
The vehicle doesn't "go into" his name, if you have the same amount of vehicles as drivers then each person has to be listed as a primary operator on a vehicle. When you have 3 drivers 2 cars then your son can be an "occasional operator" even if he drives the vehicle every day. I sent you a pm with more advice.

The joys and expense of having teenagers. :D

Pat Tria

Having teenagers on a policy is like having hemmoroids. We insure 4 vehicles without any claims or tickets. The kids qualify for all of the possible discounts, ie: drivers ed, good grades, etc. Since adding my son, and now my daughter, my premiums have tripled and I've been insured with USAA for 35 years.
This is one fact of life where you simply have to take it on the chin!

kevozz

Does the for 6 months @ $1k include full coverage? You could find a safe older car or truck with airbags that you could carry only liability on to save money.

Havana Dude

I insure 4 drivers in 4 vehicles. 2 of the drivers me and the wife, are 434.00/6 months, Full coverage.The others are 19 yo son, 363.00/6 months, full coverage, and my 16 yo daughter 576.00 / 6 months, full coverage. Add a 18.00 Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Emergency assessment:rolleyes::rolleyes: and the grand total every 6 months is 1390.00. Wife drives 03 z-71 Suburban. I drive 98 Chevy 4x4, son drives a 96 chevy 2 WD, daughter drives 03 Ford Taurus. All clean driving records. Daughter does not get the good grades discount yet since we pulled her out of school mid semester to do Florida virtual school, and she has not completed a full semester.

Not sure if they are in Ga, but we use Farm Bureau. We get multi car discount and multi policy discount since we moved our homeowners to them as well.

All of the above posts are scenarios I ran into as well. I could save even more if I dropped full coverage on a couple of them. But my son pays his, and wants to keep it(collision is not that much), and the others are still somewhat valuable.

1john4:4

Ok, who has teen drivers? My son is turning 16 this month and I just checked on adding him to my insurance as well as discussing with my insurance agent the idea of me giving him my truck and me purchasing another vehicle. I about fell off my chair when the insurance agent quoted me the 6 month rate (over 1k per 6 months). Who has a reasonable insurance company that favors teen drivers (if there are any)? And was there anything else you did to save $$$ when your kid started driving. We have the good grades and drivers ed courses. I was under impression that I could keep the vehicles in my name on the insurance and he be the occasional driver of my vehicles but my insurance tells me if I buy a 3rd vehicle that one of the vehicles automatically goes into my son's name.

Anytime you have a young driver, he/she in most cases will be riquired to be the primary driver on one of the vehicles. If you are insured with a captive agent, I would let an independant agency shop it around for you as they have may companies they can use. And if you are already with an independant agent I would tell your agent to shop it for you again. Good luck!

harryrichdawg

I put my dad on my policy as an "occasional driver" and his great driving record lowered my premiums. Do you have a brother or BIL or someone with a great driving record that you can add to your policy as a primary driver and be able to keep the kid as an "occasional driver". I'm sure that Delilah or someone else can tell you if that is allowable or not.

Oldstick

Can't add anything except more of the pain stated above.

Hit us big time and to top it off, around the same time the kids were added, both my wife and I, who had been spotless for years, started having a run of bad luck with accidents.

Still paying through the nose 7 or 8 years later.

blues brother

Does the for 6 months @ $1k include full coverage? You could find a safe older car or truck with airbags that you could carry only liability on to save money.

Most Ins companies require the highest risk(youngest driver) be the listed driver of the newest vehicle.
Put yourself in the Ins. Co. position.... and would you give all young/new/inexperienced drivers the best rates? No...you would not, if it was your money backing up the new driver.

Beat the "system" if you can but don't complain when your "new" driver wrecks your newest vehicle and the claim is not covered.
Now, what is your "limit of liability"? Do you carry the minimum required by state law? If you do, you are missing the boat.
Carry higher limits on all your vehicles and on UIM. Does not cost much more.

I am gonna quit here...getting in deeper than I should have.
Best of luck and enjoy your kids while they are young!

Michael F. Gray

Seems unreasonable until you consider one third of inexperianced drivers statistically are involved in an accident during their first three years on the road. In N.C. sons used to cost, but daughters were free, ...again , because statistically girls have better records. Just before my four girls started driving the do gooders changed that,[so called, equal rights cost women again], and it cost me plenty. Glad all my seven are now adults raising their own families. One thing I did learn from my Dad. Most youngsters will apreciatte a vehicle, and care for it better if they have to earn it. I provided a vehicle for my daughters while they were in college, but it belonged to my wife and I. When the education ceased the car came home. I helped my boys with tires, batteries, tools, etc., but they earned their wheels.

Havana Dude

Seems unreasonable until you consider one third of inexperianced drivers statistically are involved in an accident during their first three years on the road. In N.C. sons used to cost, but daughters were free, ...again , because statistically girls have better records. Just before my four girls started driving the do gooders changed that,[so called, equal rights cost women again], and it cost me plenty. Glad all my seven are now adults raising their own families. One thing I did learn from my Dad. Most youngsters will apreciatte a vehicle, and care for it better if they have to earn it. I provided a vehicle for my daughters while they were in college, but it belonged to my wife and I. When the education ceased the car came home. I helped my boys with tires, batteries, tools, etc., but they earned their wheels.
I agree with you 100%. Nowadays though, it can be very difficult for a teen to find any work, much less afford 3.75/gal for gas, and pay their insurance.

Buford_Dawg

So true...

I agree with you 100%. Nowadays though, it can be very difficult for a teen to find any work, much less afford 3.75/gal for gas, and pay their insurance.

Hopefully my son will be able to find work next summer to help pay the expenses of driving (Gas, Insurance, Maintenance, etc..). He is currently taking all honors and AP courses in 10th grade and is maintaining a 4.0 average. He consistently has 4-5 hours of homework every evening and does not go to bed before midnight almost every night due to homework. There is no time for a job while school is in session. I do not mind at all rewarding his excellent school grades and work ethics with a vehicle. I guess I was not prepared for the cost of insurance for him to drive, that is my fault.

Havana Dude

Hopefully my son will be able to find work next summer to help pay the expenses of driving (Gas, Insurance, Maintenance, etc..). He is currently taking all honors and AP courses in 10th grade and is maintaining a 4.0 average. He consistently has 4-5 hours of homework every evening and does not go to bed before midnight almost every night due to homework. There is no time for a job while school is in session. I do not mind at all rewarding his excellent school grades and work ethics with a vehicle. I guess I was not prepared for the cost of insurance for him to drive, that is my fault.

LOL, you don't have to explain it to me bro. I provided both mine with a vehicle, gas and insurance. Son has a decent part-time job while going to EMT school, so he pays all vehicle expenses now. Daughter has a part-time/part-time job:bounce: right now, makes very little money. I will continue to fund her driving until she has the means to do it herself. My kids never gave me any major problems, never had to get em out of jail, or juvi, so they are rewarded for that. If I rewarded my son for his grades, he would have walked the rest of his life. But every parent has to do what works for them.

pstrahin

I had 2 teenage sons driving a year and a half apart. At one time I was paying nearly $600 a month for auto insurance.

Oldstick

I had 2 teenage sons driving a year and a half apart. At one time I was paying nearly $600 a month for auto insurance.

I feel your pain, not much better for girls either. God's way of saying, get them older kids out the door, get them extra vehicles out the door as soon as reasonably possible.

:rofl: