car insurance ? for teens, Does trim affect price?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Hope y'all are doin great!
Just wonderin if some of y'all know if the trim package on a truck affects the insurance cost for new teen driver?
For example would a 2010 GMC W/T package with 200k miles be the same insurance as a 2010 GMC Denali with 200k miles?
We're not really shoppin for trucks but just gonna start keepin an eye out for a good truck at a good deal this year for my son. He's fixin to turn 15.
Thanks for any insight

GeorgiaBob

I don't know how GA casualty insurance law has been changed recently, so this is just my guesswork. But I think with the teen listed as a driver on your insurance, and with no tickets or points, most of the insurance bump will simply be flat rate "teen driver" and most of the additional cost of coverage (for whatever vehicle you buy) will be close to the same as it would cost you for that vehicle even without a teen driver.

I suggest you call your agent with that question. And ask him what you can do to help save money when he gets a license.

sea trout

I've friends and family with teen drivers already and they say the insurance cost is very depressing!
I definetly want to try to save some. Or if I can save I at least don't want to purchase a truck that makes insurance higher

Tblank

If you just carry liability it should be the same. Full coverage could vary depending on the rating symbol for the different vehicles. Higher cost of repairs means a higher symbol.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
At least when my son got his license and all we had were 4 wheel drive that bumped the insurance up.

westcobbdog

Shop around hard with various companies, independent agents who rep numerous carriers ( like Cincinnati) then there are direct writers like all state or liberty mutual.
Make a spread sheet and shop around.
Try to shop / compare apples to apples but also play with the deductibles. The trim package plays into it if it's fancy and therefore expensive to repair. Also consider telling your kid he's on the hook if he drives carelessly and show him what the difference an accident will cost him.
Also ask for every kind of discount you can get, good student, drivers Ed, ect...if no payoff on vehicle you have way more leverage / options vs having to carry full coverage.

DannyW

Shop around hard with various companies, independent agents who rep numerous carriers ( like Cincinnati) then there are direct writers like all state or liberty mutual.
Make a spread sheet and shop around.
Try to shop / compare apples to apples but also play with the deductibles. The trim package plays into it if it's fancy and therefore expensive to repair. Also consider telling your kid he's on the hook if he drives carelessly and show him what the difference an accident will cost him.
Also ask for every kind of discount you can get, good student, drivers Ed, ect...if no payoff on vehicle you have way more leverage / options vs having to carry full coverage.

Also, link all your coverages under one carrier if practical. Mine, Autoowners, gives me a 5% discount for doing this. They also give me a 15% auto coverage discount for paying the entire year up front instead of month to month.

Talk to your agent. Mine found a way to save me even more by taking out a $10,000 life insurance on one of my kids. The policy cost me $100 per year but saved me over $200 on auto insurance due to bundling discounts.

I feel your pain...had three teenagers on my policy at one point.

westcobbdog

Also, link all your coverages under one carrier if practical. Mine, Autoowners, gives me a 5% discount for doing this. They also give me a 15% auto coverage discount for paying the entire year up front instead of month to month.

Talk to your agent. Mine found a way to save me even more by taking out a $10,000 life insurance on one of my kids. The policy cost me $100 per year but saved me over $200 on auto insurance due to bundling discounts.

I feel your pain...had three teenagers on my policy at one point.
True dat, had 4 at same time on mine.

LTZ25

When I was a kid car insurance was high for my parents , always will be high and there's a good reason for it .

basshappy

BANNED
Key factors in determining that premium - location (vandalism) and car itself. Maybe grandparents live in a neighborhood less likely to have theft/vandalism. Some carriers discount safe driving course, and good grades in school. And yes the car itself plays a big factor - newer car more expensive to insure, faster car more expensive to insure. Pick an '80s box on wheels and less expensive to insure. A Plymouth Volare, a Dodge Omni, etc.

HughW2

As noted above:
Get your son enrolled in a Drivers Education Course and get the completion certificate to your insurance agent. Most insurers will offer a discount for completion of a course with Road time. On line courses do not offer nearly as big a discount as classroom+ Road time courses. Most insurers also offer good student discounts but will require transcripts to document. Any 15 yo boy will be expensive though to insure and will continue to have elevated rates until the age of 25. Good luck.

To answer your question: trim package should not change liability insurance.

Last edited:

Dean

Feel your pain....young male drivers are generally more expensive to insure than young female drivers. But I will share, from experience that the insurance premium on a 2009 F150 was quoted higher than 2019 GMC... according to insurance agent, the newer, 2019 has "better, improved" safety features than the 2009 so the cost to insure is higher on the older truck...
Anway, as others suggested, I would contact my agent with make/model in mind and get idea of premium before buying the vehicle....

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Yes it's will, also stay away from red colors and tri coat pearl colors. Those raise are more expensive to insure because it cost more to repaint them.

RossVegas

My son turned 16 in March. I purchased him a 2009 Toyota rav4. It was actually cheaper to make him the designated driver on my 2010 f150. He has all a/b’s. Sent him to a driving school. Insurance on the truck tripled when I added him.

BeerThirty

My eldest son has his learner permit so we've begun to ask similar questions. State Farm quoted me an extra $250/month to add his vehicle and himself to our policy. For reference, the vehicle is a high-mileage 2011 Honda Ridgeline SUV in a touring package with a 500k/500k policy.

transfixer

the Denali will cost more to repair if its in an accident, unless its changed I know 4wd insurance rates are higher than 2wd, carrying the minimum coverage it may not matter that much, engine size used to make a big difference as well

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
The most common 2wd vehicle on the road with the most safety features is gonna be the cheapest route.

sea trout

Feel your pain....young male drivers are generally more expensive to insure than young female drivers. But I will share, from experience that the insurance premium on a 2009 F150 was quoted higher than 2019 GMC... according to insurance agent, the newer, 2019 has "better, improved" safety features than the 2009 so the cost to insure is higher on the older truck...
Anway, as others suggested, I would contact my agent with make/model in mind and get idea of premium before buying the vehicle....
yes i've heard new saftey features on a car/truck can cut the cost

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Color and type of vehicle along with safety features make the difference. My oldest who is 17, just bought a 2010 F150 4wd. Insurance on it is $1400 a year for full coverage. $1050 for just liability. That’s about the same price as my other 3 vehicles combined. And I got another son that will be 16 in 3 weeks. Yay.