Balistic Tips?? pros and cons??

H

HT2

Brandon.....

"2 THUMBS UP BROTHER"!!!!!!!!!!!

I've shot them for a long time and I've "NEVER" lost a deer.......

99.999999% of them fall within a few feet from where they have been shot, if not in their tracks.....

GOOD BULLET!!!!!!!!!!

Especially the "GA. ARMS" Ballistics......

Trizey

I'm with the majority here, as I've mentioned in other BT threads.

I've never had a problem with losing any deer. Only one has made it to 40 yards and with an awesome blood trail to follow. The other 5 or 6 I've shot with them never took another step.

I have no reason to change bullets.

Like others have mentioned, shot placement is crucial to any bullet's sucess.

Rebel 3

I have never used ballistic tips in my 30-60. I have only used core locks for about 7 or 8 years and I have only had one deer run. It was double lungs shot. I have even made a bad shot and shot a fat doe right through the belly, gut shot, and it dropped in its track. My buddy uses 180 grain ballistic tips in his 30-06 and nearly every deer he has shot was heart shot and still ran. If core locks are working, why change? I have however heard of both core locks and ballistic tips not exiting.

I shot them one year with my 30-06 and did not like the fact that i did not git a exit hole.I have friends with the same kind of success.My buddys dad went to tecomante ranch last year and shot a 150 class buck.The deer fell and just laid there but then started to get up but the guide would not allow him to shoot again.When they climbed down the deer got up and took of and was never found.Later on they told him that there had been 4 bucks lost that year and everyone was with balistic tips
:mad:

Arrow3

Im off til Monday night....I plan on trying them out sometime between now and then....Even if its on a big fat doe for the freezer!!

duke13

I can't believe y'all are not getting exit holes! Most everyone i ever shot with BTs left a huge hole, sometimes even 2 holes the size of a tennis ball but still ran a good ways. ::huh:

Duff

Robert Sowell said:
I really don't think most hunters are good enough with their weapon to make a head or neck shot. I am, but I practice. How many "hunters" go out with their gun just boresighted and expect to hit a small moving target, such as a neck or head. Just to stay on course, I have had great luck wuth the new Ballistic Silvertips. I shoot them cause they look soooooo good.
Robert

My point. I'll bet most of the ones that are in favor
of the BT are good marksmen????

RamblinWreck

That theory would be wrong in my case. I consider myself a better marksman than most. ;)

My two biggest bucks were dropped with NBTs, but I have found that I prefer the performance of other bullets, and will no longer shoot them. YMMV

Hunterrs

GONetwork Member
I don't know about the rest of you all but I think this horse has been beat slap to death. If it ain’t broke, don't fix it. Use whatever bullet works for you. Shot placement is much more important than bullet choice. Hope I didn't open another can of worms with that statement. I wouldn't use b/t's on any game larger that a deer, because that is what they are made for. If you can’t kill it with a ballistic tip or partition, it don’t need to be dead. :whip:

jeepguru

I've hunted with the ballistic tips for 6 years now .270, 130gr and I have only lost one deer out of at least a dozen. Like most have said shot in the sholder, no blood trail, only ran 100 yds into and through the thickest 15yr pine thicket anywhere. After that I always aim behide the shoulder, the chest cavity is always mush and they never travel farther 15-20yds. Blood trail or not I always find them very close if not where I shot them. I think the biggest key is to keep them slower, ~3000fps or so. In many of the smaller mags its much faster than that esp. in ranges hunters normally fire in Georgia. Any shot I have fired over 100 yds the deer has dropped in its tracks. I atribute that to a bullet traveling between 2700-2800fps at that range.

Well it all comes down to each persons experiences and opinions as to what works for them, but shot placement makes up for any bullet or gun.

georgiaboy

Jeep Guru, I am with you. I have had good results using BTs in my .308 and bad results with my 7mm Rem. Mag. on both occasions when the shot was under 100 yards. Velocity really makes all the difference IMO.