Barking Squirrels

TriggerHappyJake

Everyone knows that when you hear a squirrel barking off in the distance than there are deer over there......right? I mean I've seen squirrels and deer eating together in the same acorns without a problem. I have never seen a squirrel barking at a deer myself. Some people say they only bark at bucks and others say they strictly bark at does. I guess the question is that is there any truth behind a barking squirrel and nearby deer. :huh:

Grunt-n-bleat

Squirrels will bark at anything they are alarmed at. Cats, hawks, bobcats, hunters on the side of trees..Never seen a squirrel purposely bark at a deer though..Just my .02 worth and observations.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Sometimes. They also bark at other squirrels, hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, jaybirds, people, and just about every other critter and varmint you can think of. And sometimes they seem to bark just to make racket.

tree cutter 08

I've heard they bark at bucks but never seen it. Usually they start at a hawk, buzzard, fox, cat, yote. Have seen them bark at a bear but usually will go quiet from what I've seen.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have seen more sqwerls bark at another sqwerl than anything else. Mostly territorial males given each other a warning.

but they will bark at snakes, bobcats, hawks, people, dogs, yotes, cows... about anything thing they perceive as a threat

shdw633

I watched a squirrel bark at a buck once. I know they will bark at anything that alarms them but after watching him give the buck the business that day I pay better attention when I hear one go off.

P6smSKC

from my experience, the tree rats get real quiet when the deer start moving through the area. When I notice an unusual silence, I get ready... I usually see them a few mins after all gets quiet. Not saying that is the only way it works... just what I have seen when hunting.

MADEINFLA

I pay alot of attention when i hear a squirrel start barking. I have had squirrels bark and alert me a minute or two before a deer ( buck or doe) appeared on several occasions. i usually pay closer attention when i hear a single squirrel bark for just a minute then its starts that kinda of drawn out growling. If i hear 2 or more squirrels chasing each other and barking nonstop, i wont put much thought into it.
this year i had a buck chase a doe by me in a creek bottom. As they ran further down the creek i could hear more and more squirrels going nuts.

Twinkie .308

I believe in chipmunks more. Squirrels have lied to me too many times

rbsharp

Im With everybody else on one barking at anything in the evening ,but in the morning not so , this morning I hear a whole swamp head fire off at the same time , next thing I see was does running, small bucks chasing then 2 mature bucks bringing up the rear unfortunately to far out and they were moving to fast for shot

RNC

They bark cause they want to ......they funny like that :)

Jeff Phillips

Had a squirrel give away the location of a good 8 one time in Tennessee. I do not believe I would have seen that buck without the assist from the squirrel.

They bark at all kinds of stuff, but that time it worked for me.

rbsharp

I would not ignore squirrel barks , something is there that needs you attention instead of looking at Facebook on you phone ,while that nice buck you been after is heading over to your neighbor to get shot

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I try to let my attention be drawn to anything that changes in the woods around me. That would include quiet squirrels that start barking and barking squirrels that become quiet.

I try to let my attention be drawn to anything that changes in the woods around me. That would include quiet squirrels that start barking and barking squirrels that become quiet.

Good info

kbuck1

I have been alerted to a deers approach numerous times. By an "excited" squirrel bark

Last edited:

champ

From my experience over the years, when the squirrel barks, buckle up and get ready.

rosewood

I have heard squirrels barking with nothing there. However, I do perk up when they bark, cause something might be there. Just like if I start hearing gun shots in the distance, I perk up cause the deer are probably moving again.

mtr3333

Banned
Everyone knows that when you hear a squirrel barking off in the distance than there are deer over there......right? I mean I've seen squirrels and deer eating together in the same acorns without a problem. I have never seen a squirrel barking at a deer myself. Some people say they only bark at bucks and others say they strictly bark at does. I guess the question is that is there any truth behind a barking squirrel and nearby deer. :huh:

Yes and i have only seen bucks cause this. Other causes...

hunters, owls, hawks, and bigfoot.

Havana Dude

THE one thing I have noticed consistency with in squirrels is that when a hawk, owl, or yote, strolls or flies through the woods, that's when I hear the chorus of many barking squirrels. They chime in as they cruise through and move on, kind of like the wave in a stadium. I have seen it happen both ways that a few will fire off when deer come around, but also seen it get quiet. The one sure fire method is if you see a deer, there's a deer in the area.

Last edited: