Barking Squirrels

mtr3333

Banned
THE one thing I have noticed consistency with in squirrels is that when a hawk, squirrel, or yote, strolls or flies through the woods, that's when I hear the chorus of many barking squirrels. They chime in as they cruise through and move on, kind of like the wave in a stadium. I have seen it happen both ways that a few will fire off when deer come around, but also seen it get quiet. The one sure fire method is if you see a deer, there's a deer in the area.

Yes to the wave on the swooping or cruising predators.

riprap

I don't pay much attention unless I hear a squirrel off in the distance and then others start barking closer to me. I have seen deer many times like this.

When I hunted in Arkansas they have a reddish looking squirrel. They have grey squirrels as well. The red ones would pick me out but only bark a few times with a low tone and go about their business. Grey squirrels will bark till their hoarse.:bounce:

j_seph

Heck I let one rip one time while sitting on the ground turkey hunting. Dadgum squirrel went crazy barking........................true story, can't make that up. Needless to say I was laughing so hard I just had to get up and leave.
I have seen them bark at deer and even their own shadow at times

Will-dawg

For 2 years straight I had a squirrel in one area that would bark EVERY TIME a deer was approaching. I loved it!! I don't know what happened to that squirrel but we had a great relationship!! Every year after deer season my son and I do a lot of squirrel hunting. That tract is still off limits for that!!

hikingthehills

I get excited when I hear squirrels barking. Killed quite a few that got told on by a loudmouth squirrel. 2 so far this season.

one hogman

Sometimes. They also bark at other squirrels, hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, jaybirds, people, and just about every other critter and varmint you can think of. And sometimes they seem to bark just to make racket.

THIS:bounce: and as a squirrel hunter for about 50 years now, I love to hear them bark as I have sneaked up on quite a few and given them a load of 6s, never seen or heard a deer run off ever just saying.:smash:

bowbuck

In my experience a squirrel barking at a deer is a quick bark and done. Hawks and sometimes any other bird that goes over is a low drawn out bark. I have seen the whole mountain side going crazy at a bear or bobcat.

bradleyjanes06

I've seen few deer before hearing one bark. They will bark at anything that alarms them. If you hear one it's never a guarantee but remain focused on that area is what I always do. I also like to throw a few grunts after hearing a squirrel. Figure better safe then sorry

rosewood

Heck I let one rip one time while sitting on the ground turkey hunting. Dadgum squirrel went crazy barking........................true story, can't make that up. Needless to say I was laughing so hard I just had to get up and leave.
I have seen them bark at deer and even their own shadow at times

Be honest, was it the laughing or the linger that made you leave?::ke:

garveywallbanger

They bark at deer and a lot of other stuff too...the Blue Jays are more reliable on deer movement than squirrels.

deers2ward

They bark at bucks in particular where I hunt, particularly if a buck has bright, flashy antlers

I definitely get juiced up when I hear them barking.

But most of the time they are barking at an owl, coyote, or who knows what.

beginnersluck

I don't trust anything that sounds like a 200 pound deer crashing through the leaves...and to be less than 2 pounds?? Con-artist for sure.

rosewood

I don't trust anything that sounds like a 200 pound deer crashing through the leaves...and to be less than 2 pounds?? Con-artist for sure.

Have you ever heard an armadillo?

Core Lokt

They will bark at whatever startles them and it will be a deer every now and then. I pay attention when i hear them but I don't put much faith that a deer is around the corner.

Now lets talks a crow or two tree hopping above an ole gobbler..... I have seen and killed many silent gobblers because the crow alerted me of their presence.

rosewood

They will bark at whatever startles them and it will be a deer every now and then. I pay attention when i hear them but I don't put much faith that a deer is around the corner.

Now lets talks a crow or two tree hopping above an ole gobbler..... I have seen and killed many silent gobblers because the crow alerted me of their presence.

Crows go nuts around my stand when there is either a hawk or an owl in the area. Never thought about turkeys, will keep an eye out for that now. :)

rosewood

Ahh, this is what hunting is all about. Using your surroundings to become a more effective hunter and sharing with others what you learn.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sometimes. They also bark at other squirrels, hawks, owls, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, jaybirds, people, and just about every other critter and varmint you can think of. And sometimes they seem to bark just to make racket.

I'm convinced all the squirrels around me bark to make a racket. I don't pay attention anymore unless I hear a fox squirrel barking and that just because it's a fox squirrel.

Havana Dude

Heard all kinds of skirls this morning, and not one deer seen.

I never recall any squirrel anouncing the arrival of a deer in the area, yes to coyotes, hawks, and other stuff like many have already said. Was very interested at the first time I got to observe a deer's reaction to a barking squirrel though.

A doe bedded in front of me for a long while paid little to no attention to all the stuff I tossed out of my tree stand hoping to get her up and moving off (lunch time). But she jerked her nodding head up anytime a squirrel sounded off. She awoke and paid attention each and every time.