best scope on a handgun

RATTLER

i have a 44 mag looking for a good red dot or regular handgun scope what do you think is best i am using it for hogs and deer

HOGDOG76

I HAVE A RUGER 44 MAG BLACKHAWK HUNTER WITH A 4X WEAVER ON TOP OF IT AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH IT. NO LOSS OF ZERO EVER. I HAVE ALSO HEARD THE NEW BURRIS WITH THE POSI-LOCK? RETICLE IS EXCELLENT ON A PISTOL WITH HEAVY RECOIL. HAD A RED DOT BUT GOT RID OF IT B/C AT 100 YARDS IT COVERED UP TOO MUCH TARGET FOR ME.

jhead7416

Without a doubt, BURRIS. I've used them on TC Contenders from 223 to 358 JDJ, including 44 mags. I never needed or paid extra for the retical lock. Also have a Leupold on the 358 JDJ that has held up well.

Uncle Joe

In a conventional scope Leupold 2X is my favorite, 3X Burris
is my 2nd choice anyhing over 3X and the eyebox is too small for me. In red-dots the Aimpoint is great if you have the $$ the one I use most is a 42mm Simmons, it's big on a handgun but gets you on target fast.

Handgunner

I would avoid the red-dot type scopes. I had one and it just didn't offer me the precision I wanted. Meaning the dot would cover most targets at extended ranges -- like 50-75 yards.

I have a Leupold 2x on my 629 now and love it.

7401R

I have used the red-dot scopes with very good results. If you get a good quality red-dot, the rheostat will allow you to set the dot size such that it will not obscure the vitals on deer sized animals at yardages out to about 100 yards. Unless you are very competent with a handgun, you would not likely shoot on game at a longer distance. Eye relief is better than with most conventional scopes meaning that target aquisition is much quicker, and with a handgun, that can be the difference between scoring and going home empty handed.
For conventional scopes, I really like the variable power scopes made by Bushnell, Burris and some of the others.

Jeff Phillips

I have a Leupold 4X EER on my Striker and it has been a good scope.

S.Dailey

I have a 2X Leupold on my Ruger SBH and am very pleased with the magnification and eye relief that it has.

contender*

Another vote for Burris, I've got a 2X Burris on my 45-70 Contender pistol never one problem. I've got a couple of Leupolds on my other pistols that come a close second.