Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

lampern

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20172018/HB/186

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 27-3-15 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to seasons and bag limits, promulgation of rules and regulations by the board, possession of more than bag limit, and reporting number of deer killed, so as to change certain provisions relating to open seasons for the hunting of deer; to provide for related matters; to provide for an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

Buckman18

My GA peach just got a little sweeter. Hopefully it'll pass.

Buckman18

I assume this does not override dates on WMAs and other public lands?

The WMA's have their own dates set by the State. The CNF currently closes on 12/26, not sure who makes that call, but heard the Feds do?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I doubt this has the support of the DNR. Are all the folks proposing the bill from the same area of the state? I dont support this idea, IMO the season is too long already.

Last edited:

Rich M

How long do you need to hunt?

Insert the B&Ming about too many deer getting shot, does limits, etc. here. Another 2 or 3 weeks to do just that! LOL!

When does it end?

ucfireman

I would just assume have deer season end on Jan. 1 or the first Sunday. Then archery the rest of Jan. And drop the limit to 4-5 either sex total. With doe days of course.

Stroker

I think it's a great idea. Personally I prefer to hunt deer from Nov 1st to Jan 31, all the city/weekend hunters are pretty much done for the year after Dec 1st, it's a good bit cooler, and less bugs to boot.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
please be mindful that the folks wanting an extension is because their rut is cut off. I'm one of them. status quo is ok i guess (mainly because i dont live in GA) but hope it isn't because half the state "likes it how it is". if deer season went out in your november ruts, you'd be sweating it too. thanks.

T-N-T

That's just taking more time away from us rabbit hunters and squirrel hunters

Explain eggzactly how you don't get hunt these animals while others hunt deer?

PappyHoel

This is good news. It will give our club members more days to kill 188 deer on 1800 acres.

T-N-T

please be mindful that the folks wanting an extension is because their rut is cut off. I'm one of them. status quo is ok i guess (mainly because i dont live in GA) but hope it isn't because half the state "likes it how it is". if deer season went out in your november ruts, you'd be sweating it too. thanks.

I believe the south west of the state should have an extension.
I also believe (if people could stop crying about others getting something different than them) the state should break up into different seasons like NC.

The state varries too vastly from the different regions. The mountains should have an extremely shorter season than it does.
The south east should a later season
The south east is close to being fine.

It's just too difficult for people to imagine the whole state is not like the crowded little club they have been hunting lately.

Buckman18

That's just taking more time away from us rabbit hunters and squirrel hunters

WRONG!!! There's nothing stopping you from leasing hunting rights on a property and choosing to hunt rabbits instead of deer...

tree cutter 08

I would just assmume the season ends like it does now except add back the days for the cnf. On a plus side, I think the WMA dates for the mid December hunts for the mountain wmas are dead on with the rut. Wouldn't mind to see a after Christmas hunt on a few instead of the early gun hunts.

Buckman18

I would just assmume the season ends like it does now except add back the days for the cnf. On a plus side, I think the WMA dates for the mid December hunts for the mountain wmas are dead on with the rut. Wouldn't mind to see a after Christmas hunt on a few instead of the early gun hunts.

X2!!!:cheers:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Explain eggzactly how you don't get hunt these animals while others hunt deer?

It's not because you can't hunt them, it's because small game hunters don't get to hunt deer clubs they may be members of when deer season is in. Or land or clubs that they usually have permission to hunt after deer season is over.