Bill would extend deer season to Jan 31 statewide

chill15

Banned
I love to hunt as much as anybody on this site and more than most but I think what we currently have is enough!

leftystar

WRONG!!! There's nothing stopping you from leasing hunting rights on a property and choosing to hunt rabbits instead of deer...

I think what is meant is "most " small game hunters and alot of them with dogs try to respect the deer hunters space. If deer season gets extended small game should get the same.

jimmy.444

Start deer season later and end it later.
To hot to hunt in mid September no matter where you are in GA imo

b rad

if you don't agree with it then stop hunting when u think it should end it would be nice to hunt cooler weather in January like it has been the last couple weeks better than sweating walking in the woods and fighting off gnats and skeeters and rattlers all season

deers2ward

.. I dont support this idea, IMO the season is too long already.

Agree

Start bow season Oct 15. Start the rifle season November 1. End season the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

2 bucks; 1 buck must have 4 points on one side.
Doe tags may be purchased on a county by county basis until a quota is met for that county. Land owners may purchase regardless of the county quota: 1 doe tag per 100 acres of land that they own.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Explain eggzactly how you don't get hunt these animals while others hunt deer?

Most deer hunters prefer rabbit hunters with beagles not be running about while they deer hunt. This is especially true if it is on the same tract.

Way back deer season used to end in late November about the time rabbit season opened.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I do think the hunters in SW Ga get hosed with the current regs. As for other parts of the state... not so much.

specialk

IMO the season is too long already.

5 months too long?..you're kidding!..you must be part of the anti-hunter crowd!::ke:.......if they opened it year round they'ed still whine.....

T.P.

Banned
Most deer hunters prefer rabbit hunters with beagles not be running about while they deer hunt. This is especially true if it is on the same tract.

A lot of deer hunters will shoot anything that moves. Hounds included.

T.P.

Banned
Ha...how many days do some of y'all need to kill a deer? I'd suggest instead of extending the season, study up a bit on learning how to hunt. Maybe find a mentor/big brother.

deers2ward

What's the reasoning for this?

September is a time when deer are still on a summer pattern, coming to food plots and corn piles every afternoon like clockwork (easy to kill). Many late-drop fawns are still shaking their spots off and need a little more training in the event there mama gets harvested. It is still very hot and many deer arrowed late in the evening with poor shots are spoiled by the time they are found the next day....

humdandy

Banned
I have seen bucks chasing in Screven Co mid Jan and mid Feb. I nearly got run over by an 8 pointer chasing a doe Feb 14 last year! He ran a few yards away from me and never once knew I was there.

I have no issue with it being extended...........nobody is forcing you to hunt until the end of Jan......you guys can stay home and darn your socks if you don't like it.

bulldawgborn

Was thinking about this the other day. I think I would like the season to start where it does now, but I would like a clause added that made bucks legal as long as there was at least 1 hard antler on their head.

Still protects does as much as current regs, and gives a chance to kill bucks until they shed.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ha...how many days do some of y'all need to kill a deer? I'd suggest instead of extending the season, study up a bit on learning how to hunt. Maybe find a mentor/big brother.

Or better yet buy a fishing pole, Fishing season never closes ;)